Puppy troubles - any suggestions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've done a bad thing. Since the time we brought home our puppy at 10 weeks (she's 6 months now), we've let her on the couch. I really can't help it, she's so cute and snugly!
*picture me looking sheepish*

Now that she's used to being on the couch, I can't get her to get off the couch... I'm worried for when we have visitors that she's going to act like she owns the couch (this is how she acts now). I read some article online where the person said their dog was allowed to sit on the couch, but stayed off when he was told to, and ideally that's where I'd like to be with her. She knows sit and we're working on stay and come..she's a good little dog, but she is very crazy (and she does have a biting problem, but mostly with my DH for some reason).

Any hints, tips or tricks? Anybody belong to a dog forum that is really good?
Is there a dog tribe somewhere?

I appreciate any help!!

Just me and DS.
#2 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Moving to Pets forum. :)

#3 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 AM

If you personally don't have a problem with your pet being on your furniture, then don't worry about what other people think.  They are guests in your house, but your pets live there.  Our dog is allowed on the sofa, in fact his bed is on the sofa next to me, and that is where he sleeps most of the time.  If we ever have guests, then they just have to deal with it. 

If you really want to teach him to not be on the furniture except when told he can, then it is just like any other training.  It will take time, patience, and practice.  :)

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#4 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My dogs get on the couch, but they will relocate for humans.  They know the command "off".

When you say "owns the couch" do you mean the pup is showing aggression?  Ie; growling, teeth baring, etc?  If so, she needs to be off the couch!  You need to nip any possessiveness in the bud.

But other than that, I think you probably need to aim for "allowed on the couch only when invited".  As PP mentioned, it will take time and patience, but you need to make her get off, (and stay) off the couch at all times, unless you invite her.  

You might want to give her an alternate space, like a mat, for when she is not allowed on.  Repetitiveness and treats will help you along.

I belong to a dog forum, but it is Australian based, I'm not sure about anything in the US.  There are international members on the forum though.  It's dogforum.com.au

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#5 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

She's definitely not aggressive - the times she does bite it's in a playful way, like "hey, come play with me!".

When I say she owns the couch its because I can tell her down and move her off the couch, but she just jumps back on. Over and over and over. It's kind of funny, actually. 

Thanks for the good suggestions.  I'm going to get her a mat to lie on.... I think it will help with at dinner time too so she's not constantly circling the table looking for food.  This is my first dog, so I'm kind of clueless here!

Just me and DS.
#6 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM

You can limit her to just one spot on the couch, so the rest of the furniture is free for guests. Teaching him to wait until he is invited is a good idea too.

My dog is allowed on the furniture in our house when invited (except the recliner), but not at my Mom's house. He has only tried a couple of times - just like kids can understand that the rules might be different at Grandma's, so can the dog.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

I think the mat will help.  They like to have their own space!  

We were all first time dog owners once... Let us know how it goes!  

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#8 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM

dogforum.net has some very intelligent people as well as some trainers that visit and give advice on that forum. Rottweiler.net is also great, however is isolated to mostly the rottweiler breed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page