Runny Kitten Poop. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had Raegan since she was 3 1/2 weeks old (abandoned by a feral colony) and since then she has been doing very well.  She's had her check-ups with the vet, and her stool has been checked for worms.  I recently just switched her over from the older cats' food (after she went to hard food, she wouldn't eat anything else) to her new kitten food.  She had only been on it for a week before her poop started to become runny.  We've switched her back so that we can try to do it more gradually than the last time.  But, it isn't hardening.  She had only been on that new food for a week...  Other than that, she is as energetic as ever.  Outside of the litterbox, it seems like everything is fine.  Should I be worried?  Or should I just keep doing what I am doing?

BTW, I have also gotten some dietary vitamins to help her digest her food easier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Could you try her on a different kitten food?  Perhaps she's got some sort of allergy to what is in her new food.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

"Kitten'" food is higer in protein and it's probably too much for her to handle.  Animals don't need age specific diets - it's a big marketing ploy to get you to buy specific things.  If you want her to be healthy in the long run, no cat should be fed a stictly dry food diet - thier kidneys can't handle it.  Cat's don't drink water often, but when on dry food they have to in order to flush the kidneys.  A life of dry food is a fast track to kidney disease in which vets prescirbe 'low protein' diets that are ineffective bc cats do require fairly high levels of protein.

Raw is best, followed by dehydrated and canned. If you must feed dry, you should absolutely buy one that is grain free (cat's digestive tracts were not designed to handle grains), best choices being nature's variety and orijen, and whenever possible supplement with wet food - also makes adding digestive enzymes easier. 

Old 10-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it's not hardening still even though she's back to the other food, I would take her to the vet.  Last time this happened to one of my kittens it was an infection that needed treatment.

User Tag List