Our cat moved around the corner. My kids are devastated! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Any cat experts out there?

Our five year old cat moved out.  It all started in June.  We went out of town for 3 weeks and had a housesitter take care of our cat for part of the time and a cat-feeder come part of the time.  We've done this before... no biggie. 

This time, however, a starving abandoned neighborhood kitty broke in and had been eating all of our cat's food!  So our cat started eating elsewhere.

When we returned,  my kids BEGGED to keep the new kitty.  He's very cute and sweet except he fights with our old cat.  We don't really want to put him in the "system" (aka shelter) and my kids really want to keep him as a pet. 

Our old cat is NOT happy. 

How can we establish a multi-cat home?  I currently have old kitty locked inside, but she is an outdoor cat and it's only a matter of time before she screams to be let out.  Also it's coyote season where we live and we would really like to have her in at night (she is gone days at a time).  In the past she always came in at night, but no longer.

Do we just need to re-home the new cat? 

TIA!

#2 of 2 Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

It's hard to say how to fix it since they are already sharing a home.  When we moved our 2 cats in together, we kept them separated for a couple weeks.  We would keep one in one bedroom and one in the other with the doors closed.  Then we would let one out at a time to explore the rest of the house and to smell each other through closed doors.  We switched the bedrooms so they wouldn't feel like they owned our bedroom or something like that.  Gradually, we let them roam around more and sniff each other more.  Then we would let them spend some time both free to roam the house.  We went slowly and they eventually learned to tolerate each other pretty well.  We also used a feliway diffuser to help relieve the stress of the integration.  I noticed a difference after we started using that.  Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page