Help dog's nail won't stop bleeding! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I trimmed my dog's nails about 2 hours ago and by mistake I caught the 'quick' part on one of the nails and it is still bleeding. She is 4 yrs old and a small breed dog with no health problems, but Im worried because it hasn't stopped bleeding by itself. It seems to stop if I can get her to lay down, but she is my shadow and I haven't had the time to sit still long enough for it to stop bleeding entirely I guess, then as soon as I get up, she follows me and the blood starts again.

I don't have any flour or corn starch to try that (I read online dipping the nail in flour helps stop the bleeding) so is there anything else I can try? The vets here is closed now until tomorrow, and I'm stuck indoors with a sick child so can't go out to buy any flour etc.

Even if it continues bleeding, she isn't going to bleed to death right? And is it serious enough to need the vet tomorrow? If so, what would the vet do? Should I try wrapping her paw in a bandade or something? I don't know what else to do besides keep her warm and try to keep her resting to give it chance to stop bleeding. She just ate food and is active as usual, but her gums look a little pale to me...although im not sure and might be over-reacting to the blood and imagining that. Any advice please?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM

hi~ I hope your pup is on the mend by now. If not do you have any talcum powder or baby powder? I know baby powder is mostly cornstarch... Also try mild pressure and try to keep the pup off her foot. (easier said than done) Cuts to the qwick can be painful and slow to stop. I hope she (and you) feel better soon.

#3 of 3 Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 PM

You would be surprised at how often the quick accidentally gets cut (by owners, vets, groomers, etc)  :)  I'm a groomer, and although I don't do it often, it can happen.  Nails tend to bleed a lot and it may look like a huge deal but it's really nothing to worry about.  I would suggest going and buying some "qwik stop"  or styptic powder in case it accidentally happens again. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page