Noticing Fleas Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have ( and you may think I'm crazy but I'm not) 1 adult rescue cat and 5 kittens about 4 months old that as their mother was pregnant showed up at my moms and she took care of them all until they were 5 weeks old and then my kids claimed them so I took them because mom is older and can't take care of herself let alone them.  Anyway they've all been to the vet and are inside and never go out and my dogs that are outside dogs 4 boxers and 1 balck and tan coonhound occasionally come inside but they are all on trifectus (sp?) its like comfortis but with heart worm included they do come in to visit they love the babies but I'm starting to notice fleas.  What can I do to kill them I would normally go to the vet but thats 51 miles aways and 3 weeks ago I got laid off.  The dogs are fine I don't know if they brought them in or what????  any suggestions??

I need the cheapest remedy you can think of if there is one I love my babies and want them healthy but without a job it's killing me right now.  Also I have 3 children in the home.

Thanks

Tina 

#2 of 2 Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are two remedies you can try. I've tried both and one hasn't worked for me and the other is unknown (but there are no more fleas).

1. Put a huge dish of soapy water near where you suspect fleas. Place a lamp over the water, so its light is shining in the water. Theoretically the fleas are attracted to the light and jump up to it, fall down into the water and drown in the soap. (I have yet to see a drowned wet flea in my bowls!)

2. Diatomeceous earth. It's supposed to be fine enough to cut through the exoskeleton of the flea and subsequently dry it out and it dies. Sprinkle diatomeceous earth everywhere you think fleas hide. Leave it there for a few days then you can vacuum it all up. The downside to this one is that people have said that if the diatomaceous earth is a substance that dries things out, then it might dry out your lungs (or your kids lungs).  I use it only as needed and to me it's better than pesticides.  

3. My friend that rescues GSDs feeds his dogs garlic, and he said he rarely sees a flea. 

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page