Best "premium" dog food? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I realized that one of my dogs has a chicken allergy. Upon learning that, I started looking for pet foods (I do this every few years).  I realized that Innova & California Natural, which is what we were feeding him, is owned by P&G. Argh!  So, I want to switch brands, which now has to exclude Innova, Evo and California Natural.  I had already banned Diamond products, like Taste of the Wild. So I am running out of options. My only option at this point seems to be Wysong, which funnily we were buying when we first adopted dogs 15 years ago.  I guess everything goes full circle. The issue I have with Wysong is that they have one formula that is for both dogs and cats huh.gif, which to me is weird because I've been told cats need lots more protein and a certain about of taurine, which dogs don't need.  Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Can you let me know which dog food you feed your dog and why you think it's the best?

Thanks thumb.gif

#2 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM

My dog is allergic to chicken and grain too. I feed them Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet. They have different flavors (sounds weird saying flavors but I didn't know what else to say) like bison and sweet potatoes or lamb and brown rice. I switch flavor everytime I buy a new bag, they eating duck and potato right now and its not their favourite wink1.gif. Its great food in that they contain only one type of meat, potato, and vitamins, no other junk like chicken meal or dried egg powder or any grains. They have also have a line of treats that are Limited Ingredient Diet too, just look for the L. I. D. on the label. You can get it at petco too.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#3 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM

It does seem weird that a dog and cat food are the same since cat food is a higher protein content and would probably make a dog really fat.

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

We feed our grain sensitive and tummy trouble prone dog Acana Lamb and Okanagan Apple. She was previously on California Nautral Lamb (which used to be on the top quality lists until P&G bought it) as that's what she came to us on. She's a very picky eater which is why we kept her on CN and when we moved and couldn't find a good pet store that carried it we switched to the Acana and we were shocked when she picked out all of her old food and would only eat the new stuff. 

It's agreeing with her very well!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Acana is awesome dog food! For us, with a 50 lbs dog and a 80 lbs dog, it was too expensive. We do a mix of dry and canned, only one can split between two dogs the rest of their food is dry. I would love to get them off of the canned, I've tried so many times, but they don't eat and get all mopey without it.

#6 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Moving from TAO to the Pets forum.

#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure about chicken content, but we use Flint River Ranch and it's great. Fast shipping too!

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page