I need some advice/input about dog food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like to feed my dogs , healthy , good food . However , money is an issue with us , and even though , I know , that better is ...well better , I was kind of looking for some input about different kinds of dog food

I would never get the cheap , no-name brand , you know the one that lists corn as its number one ingredient and is a ll dusty and funny-smelling .

Iams is also out of the question , for obvious reasons , but other than that I want to buy good food , but more expensive doesn´t always equal better quality YKWIM ? 

So , any suggestions ? 

I should mention , that they are all in different ages , but feeding them separately is not a problem , and they don´t have allergies or any other problems 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM

you may pay more for a premium food but they will eat less of it because it is much more nutrient dense.

I personally like taste of the wild, Go!, merrick before grain, Fromm

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

" Taste of the wild " , really ? I saw it online , since the stores here don´t carry it and it looked nice , but it´s always good to hear some input from " real " people , that have actually used it !

I didn´t mean to imply , that I want to use bottom-line cheap grocery store food , but sometimes you pay a premium prize for a name , kwim ? 

And I see no point in that ! 

But thanks for the tip , I will definitely be trying the " taste of the wild "

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM

taste of the wild is definately a good food! Ive fed it in the past, currently feeding Go! (my bulldog is super picky!)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

one of my friends volunteers a lot for animal rescue and just shared this resource on FB - it rates the content of hundreds of brands of dog food. Now if only there was a similar resource for cats!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM

taste of the wild, Diamond, or look for a corn or grain free from costco

Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

4health from Tractor Supply is a pretty good one and way cheaper than TotW. My dog stinks way less eating it than she did eating Taste of the Wild. It does have some grain but no corn and low grains, high animal protein content.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble View Post

one of my friends volunteers a lot for animal rescue and just shared this resource on FB - it rates the content of hundreds of brands of dog food. Now if only there was a similar resource for cats!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Thanks , that is a great one ! And sure beats going through all the different brands individually !

I do believe though , personally , if a brand is good for dogs , chances are it is good for cats as well

Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 PM

I feed Taste of The Wild, it seems pretty good and isn't too expensive.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM

We were recently feeding Taste of the Wild, great food, but we stitched to a brand called "Great Life" that is extremely nutrient dense. It is very expensive per bag but a bag lasts FOREVER. My dogs are eating half the food they were before, and are looking great. and THEY LOVE IT. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 PM

My 10 year old Labrador was diagnosed with Lymphoma last February. After I got over my heartbreak, I decided that I would do anything I could to improve her health. One of the first changes I looked into was her food. We had been feeding her Nutro Natural Choice, and thought this was a great food for her (and our other two dogs). And, to be fair, its not a BAD choice - but it certainly isn't fresh food. I started looking into homemade dog food. At first all the recipes I read were really daunting - with ingredient lists about a page long. But then, after reading 20 or so recipes I realized that it was incredibly variable and you can change your ingredients every batch. Thus, by varying the diet (just like with humans) if you miss a particular nutrient, you make up for it at the next meal.

The formula is really simple. You just need some sort of animal protein - meat, fish or poultry. A carbohydrate - rice, oatmeal, potato. A vegetable - collards, kale, peas, beans, pumpkin, etc. Just avoid certain foods - tomatoes, onions, grapes, raisins - and as long as you respect that, you virtually can't go wrong. And dogs are probably the most enthusiastic eaters you will ever cook for. How gratifying is THAT when pouring hours in to what-to-make-for-your-toddler-who-won't-eat-anything. You can make a mackerel, chicken scrap, leftover oatmeal, overcooked green bean and burned rice stew for your dog and he will LOVE you for it. Love, love, love.

SO, I started getting meat ends and scraps from our local butcher - he usually doesn't charge me anything. Shoprite sells huge bags of frozen turnip greens for a low price. Sometimes I throw in eggs from our chickens. Sometimes I pulverize dried eggshells for added calcium. I also throw in scraps from whole roasted chickens, turkey, etc. Most grocery stores sell chicken gizzards, liver and marrow bones pretty cheaply. I stock up on canned or frozen fish when it is on sale. I feed them raw carrots instead of rawhides. All these foods are cheaper at the grocery store than the pet store (esp. the marrow bones!!).

Dog food manufacturers get you by saying that you have to feed dogs THEIR food b/c they have carefully balanced all the nutrients dogs need for a healthy diet. As if dogs all starved and died before Purina started making dog food. As "mans best friend" dogs have shared their owners food or fended for themselves for centuries.

Since changing our dogs diets, I saw huge improvements. My overweight pitbull mix starting losing weight, and got a noticeable sheen to her coat. She had more energy and seemed more playful. My Labrador, despite having a frighteningly low white blood cell count for months, showed no symptoms and played like usual for quite a while. While she did succumb to the cancer later in the year, I feel that her last months were more enjoyable for her because she ate so much fresh, custom prepared food. She dove into every meal with so much more excitement than anything I ever poured out of a bag.

I have not sat down and done a cost analysis on how much money I've saved since switching foods. But, I can tell you that it is at least equivalent if not cheaper. It is also more convenient. I do my dogs food shopping along with the rest of my families. I have not been to a pet store in almost a year.

I hope this helps!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM

Yes, do your research with one of the websites that rates dog food like the one listed above.

You can look online for buying food at a lower price (will still be more expensive than most grocery store brands though). Chewy.com is a good place to check out. 

@Bocanej: I'm so glad you were able to fix food that helped your dog. That's wonderful.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I get Castor and Pollux Organix for my almost 11 year old boxer. No corn, soy, etc.

Desiree

Old 07-27-2013, 02:11 AM

We do Taste of the Wild or Natural Balance.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH View Post

I get Castor and Pollux Organix for my almost 11 year old boxer. No corn, soy, etc.

Trader Joe's sells that for a reasonable price.  

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 PM

Well, Look at the ingredients. Dog food shouldn't have flavourings and colourings. Also, Pumkin really helps!! I give it to my two dogs every night and its healthful and it makes their poos really (I know its gross) soft and easy to come out. 

Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 AM

I use Taste of the Wild if I do dog food, but remember, dog food is very processed and it's not what a dog would eat in the wild.  It's kind of like eating potato chips with added nutrients (process-wise).  In fact, one of the oldest dogs ever...I think he was 22 or something...was a collie who was fed lentils. While I don't advocate for a fully vegetarian diet, I think processed food is pretty much just as bad if not worse. 

I think raw food is the way to go in terms of top nutrition (dogs have strong stomachs and can handle the bacteria).  But because of having small children in the house, I didn't feel comfortable doing it (I'm kind of germ phobic) so I found a grain-free recipe online which has lentils, veggies, and meat and is a grain-free recipe but you can add in grain to save $ if your dog isn't sensitive.  To this I add Nupro which is a vitamin supplement, and fish oil.  I find this to be a pretty cheap diet and I feel better about feeding this than I do about processed dog food with all the recalls left and right. 

Good luck.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM

we use Life's Abundance,  http://www.lifesabundance.com/Pets/PetsHome.aspx?realname=&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False

we started with the cat food and noticed they were eating a lot less and coats were much nicer so tried the dog food.  We have been able to cut the amount they eat by more then half (they were on Wellness) and they are doing really well!  Overall, I think it is less expensive given how efficient it is.  

Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM

In terms of brands, I personally think the best are: Taste of the Wild, Orijen and Millies Wolfheart, for a variety of reasons. 

Maybe you can give these a look?

In terms of what dog food to feed your dog, though, there are so many other options: raw feeding, wet foods, home made food. 

For us, we used to do a combination of dry and canned food, but we stopped later on after discovering that commercial dog food is, in fact, quite harmful to our dogs' systems. 

Stumbled upon a whole bunch of dog food recipes (a link here: http://dogfoodnomore.com/), and Lucky (our 8 year old Golden Retriever), then 2, has been one happy camper ever since. 

You might not notice the improvements at first, but about half a year down the road, we saw that Lucky's coat was more lustrous than before, his teeth became whiter, his bad breath disappeared, and he just feels so much healthier overall. 

So you might consider this an option. 

Hope this helps some!

Baggio, TX

Say NO to Commercial Dog Food!

http://dogfoodnomore.com/

User Tag List