Need some advice desperately. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so we have a one year old shitzu with major attitude who thinks she owns the house. When we first got the dog everyone said "oh can we please, I'll help take care of her I promise". Well that was short lived. I'm always asking the kids, did you take the dog out, did the dog get fed etc etc.
I have three daughters (9,10 & 11) and a husband who now works out of town and comes home maybe once every two months. And to top it off I'm now 4 months pregnant and to be honest I'm at the end of my rope with this dog. She is constantly taking off on me, even squirms out of her collar and runs away when I'm walking her. I can't tighten collar anymore without choking her. She pees and poops in house (even after spending 20 mins outside). She has almost tripped me twice while I'm going down stairs. Not cool, even more so now with me being pregnant.
So here's my dilemma......I have a co-worker that has offered to take the dog, but my husband would lose it if I got rid of her. He's not even here to help with the dog, but said over his dead body would he allow the dog to go. Soooooo...I'm almost to the point of telling my husband the dog ran away (which she has done on numerous occasions) and giving her to my co-worker who will actually spend the time with her. My husband has no idea who my co-workers are because there are so many people i work with (I'm a nurse at hospital). I don't want to lie to my husband, but I also can't stand having this dog anymore and he doesn't seem to understand why even after I turned blue explaining it to him. If you were in my shoes what would you do??
#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Send the dog to a new home.  But don't lie to your family. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#3 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Family meeting time. Sounds like the pup would get a great new home with co worker, but I would have guilt about lieing.
#4 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Tell your daughters that, because of their irresponsibility, they have placed the dog in the middle of this situation.  That you are going to give the dog to someone that WILL take care of it and give it the love it deserves.  At their ages, they, certainly, have been old enough to help care for the dog.  No responsibility, no dog.  End. Of. Story.

Tell your husband that the co-worker has offered to take the dog off your hands and give it a loving home.

If he balks at this, tell him that HE can stay at home and take care of the dog.  HE can clean up the messes.  HE can walk it.  In other words, tell him it's none of his business since he isn't caring for the little guy.  End.  Of.  Story. 

My guess is the dog doesn't want to live there and the stress it is experiencing is being shown to you and your home, and things are only going to get worse when the new baby arrives. 

Let the dog live where it IS wanted and will be loved.

Have your friend sign formal adoption papers and have them notarized, while your dh is out of town.  The law will be on the friend's side.

Don't lie to your family.  If they aren't willing to do their share of caring for, and, respecting, this furry member of their own family, then the dog needs to be shown the respect it deserves and allowed to live where it is wanted and will be cared for properly.

Think of the dog, not your husband.

#5 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM

I wouldn't lie.  He might get another dog to make the girls happy and you would end up in the same situation again. 

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM

spend some more time training, these all sound like training issues. go back to square one with potty training. As for the leash issue get a harness or a martingale (i personally would go a harness on a small dog)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page