My dog will NOT eat her dog food.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our dog has always been picky where dog food is concerned.  She will sneak cat food whenever possible, and will literally steal human food right off your plate.  But she does not like her dog food.  We have tried a variety of brands over the years...some she will eat for a bit then stop, some she wont eat at all. It seems to be getting worse. Her appetite is fine, as she keeps stealing the kids food, but she will turn her nose up at all dog food that is not a treat.  I would like to get her on a good dog food, not one loaded with crap, and one that she will actually EAT.  I saw that there is a new refridgerated  kind and I thought I might try that.  What are your dogs eating? Do they love it???

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM

What food are you feeding her? Could she possibly have a food intolerance? My dads dog would do that and it turned out he couldnt handle the grains in some of the dog food. He now gets the natural balance duck and sweet potato I think. I would just keep trying to find one she likes. I feed my 7 yr old the natural balance diet or duck and potato. She perfers the duck or original. We get it at petco. She does well on it, nice shiny coat and (doggie TMI)  health bowel movements.  If possible limit her access to people food. ( super hard with kiddos that like to share!) She may protest but eventually will eat it. I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

ETA: what my pup eats

#3 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Duck and sweet potato sounds like something she would like....can't remember what the name of what she is on right now is.....I was thinking  I needed to get her away from the grains......Thanks!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#4 of 5 Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM

How are her teeth? Sometimes that can be making them not want to eat as much. Or can you try mixing a little warm water in with the dry food before feeding? It makes it softer and more smelly which can entice them and this way you can keep using the food you like. Adding a bit of wet food (with or without warm water) can also be good if you're ok with that. I don't buy that dry food cleans their teeth anyway (no more than potato chips clean ours!) so I don't think it's a problem for that reason.

Our dogs eat a raw diet and they love it. Mind you they liked dry food too, they're just not picky.

#5 of 5 Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM

My dog was a picky eater and a slow water. I remember actually feeding her her dry food one kibble at a time. Mixing wet food well with it would help get her to eat on her own. I also would put ketchup or some other sauce over her dry food.
What finally cured her of the picky eating is when we got another dog. After that she ate everything and quick. Lol.
We fed them Wellness, regular one.

Tags
Pet Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page