Alternatives to prescription diabetic food for dog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

This concerns Koji-blue heeler diagnosed with diabetes, now blind but coping very well and still an important part of our family.  He is on 15 units of insulin 2x/day and we are currently using Royal Canin food.

Just wondering if anyone has used something other than the prescribed diabetic food for their dog?  I would rather use something more natural (and less expensive!) if possible but don't want to compromise his health. 

TIA!!!

Amy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Anyone have suggestions to share?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM

Commercially available dog food (meaning non-prescription) will not have the low carbohydrate levels required to manage a diabetic dog. There are content requirements that must be met in any food that is not a prescription food, and that includes a certain level of carbs. Unless you are willing/able to make his food yourself, which I honestly would not recommend with a dog who is medically compromised, I think the prescription diet is your best bet.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 PM

I don't know anything about the needs for a diabetic dog but I feed a raw diet to my dogs (not much in the carbs department). I would look online for support groups for owners of diabetic dogs (I'm sure there are some!) to get some suggestions. Can your vet give you specifications as to what the food needs to include? That would be a good starting point along with the online research.

Tags
Pets
User Tag List