Silly Idea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

OK - I admit I have had a glass of wine, and am probably not thinking too straight. But, here goes...

Rosie is a 10 year old shih-tzu/poodle mix (shitty-poowinky.gif). She once was white, but now has ugly brownish-pink areas wherever she licks herself - feet, armpits, lower back, etc. And her beard is almost black. She goes to the groomer regularly, but she just isn't really pretty anymore. I just thought about hair coloring - if I dyed her, the discolored areas would not show so much. I don't think I would want to use people hair color chemicals - I was thinking of henna, or maybe even food coloring. If she were pink or purple, well, I just think it would be fun! I don't suppose coloring would be good for a dog, but would it really do any harm?

I could be bringing her to work with me, at least one day a week, but frankly, I am embarrassed at how scraggly she looks now. I think people would think I am neglectful when they see her now. If she were pink, they would just think I am weird, eccentric. They think that already! (They are probably right) Many of my co-workers bring dogs to work, and she would have a great time! She is perfectly behaved, and would really love the people and doggie socialization.

So that's my question: why not? And if it is not cruel or deadly, how would I go about it?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think its a cute idea, and if you use something natural I don't think she would be hurt. Maybe ask the groomer for advice, people get high maitence wigh their animals nowadays so she may know tps, etc.
#3 of 7 Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 PM

We had our dog dyed for Halloween one year. It looked OK at first but as it faded it looked terrible. It was really very ugly for a while as it was coming out. I think it was a mistake, the groomers chose the wrong method/dye. I won't do it again.
#4 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM

I think you can get special colour products for pets, your vet or groomer can probably steer you towards some. Have you been able to solve the licking issue? In our dog it's allergy related and it sucks (for us and her too, I'm sure). If she still licks then you may want to choose a colour strategically so it doesn't look bad when her licking discolours it...

#5 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've used gel food coloring with good results. Don't know if it would cover up stains though; her white parts are verrrry white.
#6 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to give it a try this weekend. Will try to post pics if it isn't too awful! 

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#7 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Well let's see the pics!

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page