Puppy Obsessed with our Cats--Desperate for Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We rescued a 5 month old puppy a week and a half ago.  She looks like a flat coated retriever mix.  She's a sweetheart except for her behavior around our cats.  She is completely obsessed with them and basically charges them every chance she gets.  We have a 1-bedroom home so the first few days I kept the cats in the bedroom, and then felt guilty and started attaching her leash to the couch and letting the cats roam the house freely.  She will just repeatedly jump at them even when attached.  I have had her on the leash and let her approach them a few times, and it's hit or miss how she acts.  She's had a couple of good moments when she calmly went over and sniffed noses and was able to control herself and walk back out of the room, and then she's had many, many more instances of charging them while barking at them and nipping at whatever is in the way of her and the cat--the bedspread, me, etc. 

Anyone have any advice as to whether she is trainable to leave them alone?  I just don't even know if she would hurt them or not, or what's normal and what's not.  The cats are all terrified and I'm feeling like we made a huge mistake bringing her into the family.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 AM

I have no idea. I mean every dog is trainable but I am not sure if the time and resources needed are available I have limited understanding of the subject. But here is a bump.

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM

Do the cats take off and get panicked when she does this?  Because if they do, they could be just feeding her prey instinct :(  I have a dog who did this with cats for years and unfortunately even killed one.  But we (very carefully) took a litter of kittens that turned up on our property and raised them basically alongside this dog.  We NEVER left them alone together.  But they were never afraid of her because they had been around her from a very early age and she never chased them.  I know raising another kitten around her is probably not an option for you but I'm thinking if the cats ever stop running from her, she might not want to chase them so badly.  It could be as simple as she chases them because they run away.

Sorry I don't have any better advice, but with my experience with a very similar problem, that's all I can think of.  Maybe you could figure out a way to socialize the cats with the dog a little more.  If you keep them separate or whisk the cats away every time the dog is in danger of coming into contact with them, that could be just enticing her to chase them even more.

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page