Nervous About How Pets will React to New Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I will be a first time mom this summer and DH and I have four pets that live with us. I'm not worried about our two chinchillas because they are only let out supervised and once they get used to the new noises will be okay. We also have a dog who will be 6 and a cat who will be 3. They are both very attached to us. I felt better after reading the thread about cats and newborns, but I'm still nervous about how they will react. I want to make the transition as easy as possible for them. Our dog has been around little kids A LOT and is super gentle with them, and she has some experience with small babies. She does not like crying. Our cat is very cuddly and friendly with us, but generally shy with others and is not a fan of strange noises like the vacuum. Aside from playing a stream of videos on youtube of babies crying, what can I do to help ease the transition? Any tips? Thanks so much!

Nikki crochetsmilie.gif, partner to Jeremy guitar.gif. Baby Joshua Nolan is finally here after a many year struggle with infertility. I blog at www.loliecraft.blogspot.com. dog2.gifcat.gifhamster.jpghamster.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 AM

After you give birth you can have someone bring a blanket that the baby has been wrapped in home so they can smell the baby before it gets there. If there's a place that will be off limits to them later (like a nursery or a crib or the bed for a while) go ahead and make it off limits now. It will take them a while to get used to that so might as well start early.
Not allowing our cat in the bedroom is literally the only thing we did and everything is fine. Our cat is also kind of a dick but he's gotten on with the baby fine. I think pets can tell "this thing is important to them."
#3 of 6 Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 PM

I wouldn't worry at all smile.gif

I have two protection trained German Shepherds who everyone claimed were going to eat my son. My favorite one (who is my big sucky baby) was the one I was worried about because he has never been around kids, is not neutered and he's the one who doesn't warm up to people very easily... fast forward a year, they're the best of friends. Our female couldn't care less that we added an extra person to the house (I still wonder if she's even noticed?) but my two boys (2 legged and 4 legged) are sleeping on the floor together right now. 

#4 of 6 Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice! Thank you so much for responding. I knew members here would be a wonderful help.

Escaping, I love that your dog and your son have such a great relationship!

Nikki crochetsmilie.gif, partner to Jeremy guitar.gif. Baby Joshua Nolan is finally here after a many year struggle with infertility. I blog at www.loliecraft.blogspot.com. dog2.gifcat.gifhamster.jpghamster.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

my parents were worried about this when I was about to join the world ... they had a rescue German Shepherd who had been abused and didn't trust anyone except my parents (over time). He would do things like snap and snarl from the back seat of the car at toll collectors. I'm not sure what my parents did to condition him before bringing me home, but he had no issues with a baby at all. He was very protective of me and would let me pet his face (i.e. stick little fingers in his eyes and pull his hair) as an infant. Their other dog, whom they had since a puppy and was very obedient, had no interest in me and would walk out of the room whenever I was in it. 

I guess my perspective is that your pets probably know something is going on, and don't assume the worst. I swear our two cats are taking bets on when my belly is going to explode and how many kittens it contains....

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#6 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Pets are routine creatures. Of course you will be busy, but try your best to assimilate your pets into your new world so they don't get jealous.

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page