Cat Food Recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My cat has been throwing up his food once or twice a week.  He has been on the same food for about 4 years now and Ive read that they can develop allergies when on the same thing for too long.  He seems to be fine right after.....and has no other issues, looks healthy etc.  I havent called the vet - thought I would change the food first and see if that does it.

Id like to switch to a allergy friendly food, hopefully one that is not too expensive.  I have another cat who is 9 and not having problems.  Would love to hear food suggestions.  Right now they eat Kirklands Healthy Maintenance.

#2 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I liked Felidae for my cat.  It's not very expensive and it's made with good ingredients.  I switched his food a few times to help different issues and it usually worked.  Just make sure to gradually make the change by mixing the foods together.  If I changed too fast, my cat would refuse to eat entirely.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 AM

We have a seven year old, who sometimes throws up his kibbles. Never his wet food. We read the ingredients list, and it turned out the wet food did not contain grains which the kibbles did. We looked for a grain free and ended up choosing Orijen for our two cats. Problem solved. Not exactly cheap, but one of few options here in Sweden that is grain free. You might be able to find a cheaper grain free brand where you live.

You might also want to look into getting some cat grass. It might just be a temporary clog in his system, needing some help to be rinsed out, and cat grass seems to help with that.

#4 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Oh great - ill try the grass and also look in to grain free kibble.  My dogs are on grain free as well......

#5 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This sounds like my cat, and he has been throwing up a lot less since we went grain free about 6 years ago. Honestly, I think he just doesn't like chewing his food, since it has happened since he was little, and it only happens with dry kibble.

after trying many brands to strike a balance between affordability and picky eating habits, we fed them Innova Evo for most of the last 6 years. They had a recall recently though, so we switched to Blue Buffalo wilderness (their grain free line). The cats happily eat it and it is a TINY kibble and has led to less barfing.

In addition to the obvious GI improvement, switching to grain free food really improved our cat's coat and overall health. I think some cats are just more sensitive than others, but if yours is sensitive this can make a big difference and is well worth trying. after all, cats are oblligate carnivores and designed to eat pretty much only meat (unlike dogs).

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!  Im going to go to a few local pet stores and see what the costs are.  I would say he throws up about once a week, sometimes less, once in awhile 2x in a week.  He seems fine other than that.....his energy is up, but i have noticed he doesnt have quite the shine in his coat that he usually does.  My other cat is 9 yrs old, her coat always looks great.  She's a bit overweight (usually happens in the winter) but I have noticed sometimes she has loose stools.  I want to try to make the switch soon as Im getting low on the old cat food and want to do a gradual switch.  

Youve all been super helpful......my search goes on..................

Tags
Pet Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page