cat peeing in the house - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have tips to stop a cat from peeing in the house? I have three cats, all males. One is probably about 10 years old and has been with me for 6 years. He's fairly dominant, so we're pretty sure he's trying to mark his territory. I also have two kittens who I rescued (unintentionally) last fall. Well, I suppose they're not really kittens anymore. They're bigger than my older cat now. Anyway, my older cat started the marking when the kittens moved in, which didn't really surprise. He stopped for quite a while after they got fixed, but he recently started again. I have no idea what to do. We're moving to a house that has carpet soon and I'm pretty worried about how that's going to go. 

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I don't know how to get a cat from marking his territory.............carpet would not be good. I do not have any useful advice sorry.

#3 of 3 Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

There are 4 things I would try based on my personal experiences:

Before trying any of these, it is worth talking with your vet. He could have a UTI or other medical issue which are easy to rule out.

- You mentioned that your older cat is male - is he neutered? if not, that may be worth discussing with your vet (but he is old enough that the hormones and habits he has developed would put him in a very different situation than a little kitten getting neutered)

- optimize the litter box situation: the ideal number of litter boxes in (n cats + 1) so for you that would be 4. Yes, that is a lot of litter boxes but it helps ensure that everyone has their own space. Clean them at least daily. If you're already doing this, consider changing the type or brand of litter you use. I used a biodegradable corn-based litter for years and reluctantly switched to clay (not enviro friendly nor good for cats' lungs...) when one of our two developed some elimination problems. The bottom line is whatevere litter your cats like and use best is the best choice.

- A Feliway diffuser (feline facial pheromones) is worth a try. We have one and use it to provide a calming influence for our cats in times of stress (construction on the house, etc.). The effect is subtle but real.

- Last but certainly not least, make sure your older kitty is getting sufficient attention from you. Maybe he just wants a little more lap time or special treats so he knows you love him. One of our cats is an attention hog and simply spending 30 minutes a day snuggling him and inviting him to us for snuggles is enough to keep him happy.

Good luck!

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page