My Client Died and Left behind a whole bunch of cats. Now what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work as a long term care case manager.  As such, I have a lot of elderly individuals on my caseload.  One of these individuals passed away last Sunday.  He left behind 13 kittens (6-8) weeks as well as at least 4-6 adult cats.  All of these cats are outdoors, but he has been feeding them for several years. 

I called the no-kill animal shelter I volunteer with and was able to get them to take all of the kittens.  I also was able to get the vet my dogs/cats see to commit to spaying and neutering all of the adult cats for free.  Everything sounds great, except for several things....

1. Two of the cats (one of which he claimed as his own) are very elderly and very skinny.  They have lived on this property their whole life.  He lived about 2 miles out of town in a pretty quiet area. 
  2. I am not sure the cats will make it through being spayed because of their health.  If they do get spayed, they have no place to go back to because the house is being taken over by the state and sold to cover the cost of his and his wife's long term care. 
  3. His neighbors aren't an option to feed the cats because they don't really feed their cats either. 
  4. His only family is his daughter who lives an hour and a half away and can't have any cats. 

So....I don't know what to do.  I'm not the kind of person who has ever been able to walk away.  This man was very nice and he cared about his cats.  I feel like the one final thing I can do for him is make sure these cats are ok.  Given all of the above information, I am starting to wonder if putting the cats down is the most humane thing to do?  I just don't think giving the cats to a shelter where they will have to be in a cage after being free all of their life is humane.  I also don't think they will have a good chance of adoption because of their age, lack of socialization and health. 

Seriously, any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.  I have lost a lot of sleep over this from worrying.  :(

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#2 of 3 Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Awh mama, sounds like you've already gone above and beyond for this gentleman and his cats.  I think your thinking that it might be more humane is probably on the right track. Perhaps some others with more rescue experience can chime in. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 3 Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I agree about the two elderly kitties probably being put down.  I would ask your vet for advice if you're unsure.  Can the other adult kitties go to the no kill shelter too? 

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page