Freaking out no one to look after dog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are going on vacation in a few short weeks and after asking lots of people I thought would have our dog for us, no one so far is either able or willing to, which is fair enough but I am freaking out because I'm running out of people to ask. We can't afford to and neither do we want to put our dog into the boarding kennels either. So just wondered who you leave your dog with when you go on vacation? Usually a family relative would take our dog but can't this year. Anyone only find someone at the last minute? We are away for 10 days and have only a few more weeks to figure this out an find someone.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We use a professional pet sitter, who will sleep at the house or come for morning, noon and night visits.
We have also considered a vet tech. I would reccomend asking your vet for suggestions, my vet office knows pet sitters. You could also formally interview a professional pets sitter via the NAPPS: http://www.petsitters.org/

Your local SPCA may also have recommendations for sitters.
#3 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM

We leave ours with family, but have in the past also used a boarding facility that is a doggie daycare during the daytime so they got much more interaction than they would with a regular kennel facility.

Have you tried any neighbours? Perhaps someone you talk to while walking your dog that has one as well or seems to like dogs but doesn't have one? School is or will soon be (depending on where you live) on summer vacation, maybe a local teen that wants to make a few dollars to walk and feed your dog?

As the above poster I was also going to suggest contacting the SPCA. Maybe see if your local library has any resources or will let you put up an ad for a dogwalker on a message board or their website? I'd be weary of posting on craigslist (as it advertises you will be away and such) but I would look for postings by others offering pet sitting services. If you have used a dog trainer or school they are a good resource as well as they tend to be involved in the local dog community.

#4 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

We use a professional pet sitter, who will sleep at the house or come for morning, noon and night visits.
We have also considered a vet tech. I would reccomend asking your vet for suggestions, my vet office knows pet sitters. You could also formally interview a professional pets sitter via the NAPPS: http://www.petsitters.org/

Your local SPCA may also have recommendations for sitters.

yeahthat.gif

We also use a pet sitter.  She doesn't stay at our house but she comes four times/day.  We've used the same person, as a sitter and as a dog walker when I worked, for fourteen years.  When she is no longer available (she is in her 60's now) I will contact our vet for referrals.  A few times we boarded one of our dogs at the vet.  (He had medical and behavioral problems and the dog sitter was not comfortable watching him.)   I was more comfortable with the vet than a boarding facility.

However, if it is too costly for you to board your dog, I am thinking a pet sitter w/n/b an option.  In our area, it is less expensive to board a dog than to have someone come to your house to care for the dog.

Is there a responsible child in your neighborhood you could hire?  One with a responsible parent who will make sure your dog is getting the care he needs.  It w/b less expensive.  My son watches the neighbor's dog when they go out of town.  Since he is 8...it means I do much of the 'watching' - late at night or when he is in school.  My son wants to do it to earn a little money and I do not mind helping because I want to support his 'business' and I love animals and like the neighbors.  However, lately we have turned down the jobs over four days because it is a bit of a burden.  I cannot imagine asking a friend or relative to watch a dog...I think it w/b an imposition. 

#5 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I board mine at a doggy daycare place too.  It's pretty pricey.  There is a woman in my church who will come to the house several times a day to feed, walk and interact with dogs and cats, but I can't leave my dog home alone all that time. She would get really lonely and I'm not sure what she would do.  But at the boarding facility, she can play with other dogs, which she likes, and at night she has her own room and can sleep in her own crate which I bring.

I did manage to find someone to watch my dog when she was a puppy, but she said never again, my dog was too needy.  I think that's a small dog thing, possibly, I'm not sure.  But there were some families who were thinking of getting a dog who wanted a short experience taking care of them, so possibly you could find someone like that.

Tags
Pets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page