Cat won't stop peeing on new rug! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas! I'm facing a challenging roadblock with my 13 year old cat. It's a battle of wills, and I can't give in!  

I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my first, and we just laid down a beautiful shag area rug in the nursery a few days ago. The first day, my cat Luna (female, spayed, 13 years old and otherwise healthy) peed on the rug. I cleaned the spot with Nature's Miracle Cat Urine Destroyer and closed the door to the room. The next day, I allowed her back in the room and she peed on the rug again within half an hour. Cleaned, closed the door, repeat. After several days of this, mama is getting exhausted! 

Yesterday, we moved her old favorite lounging chair from storage into the nursery. She hadn't seen the chair in months, so of course she hopped up into it and has barely left it since. I thought putting something in the room that gave her a comfortable, happy place to hang out would help, and it seemed to for most of the day yesterday. This morning, I went into the nursery and found her curled up in the chair, snoozing peacefully. As I turned and walked to the other side of the room, I stepped in a wet spot. So, she's still at it! 

At this point, she's peed pretty much all over this brand new rug. Each time I find a spot, I'm blotting up the mess and attacking it with Nature's Miracle. Her litter box is clean (we've been doing double and triple duty since this problem began!) and she is not peeing anywhere else in the house. She's been to the vet recently, so I'm pretty confident that she's not suffering any health problems that might cause this, especially since it only started when the rug hit the floor. It's worth mentioning that we laid down a new living room rug at the same time and she has not peed on it at all. She's a super cuddly cat and definitely a mama's girl, and we've had lots of cuddle time throughout my pregnancy. She loves to snuggle against my belly and feel the baby move. In general, she's a very laidback and happy kitty. She's an only cat, but we do also have a dog and they have lived together for 4 years and get along beautifully.

Short of throwing out the brand new rug, what can we do? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

It seems something about that rug is attracting your cat to it. Why not keep her out of the nursery altogether? You surely don't want it to be a comfort place she comes to once the baby is born as you may have her waking your napping baby. So the most logical thing seems to be to restrict her from the room altogether. 

#3 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

I understand the logic, but it's not practical. The nursery is also my office, and I do not want to live with the door closed, either before baby comes or after. As far as I can tell, she dislikes the texture of the rug (won't walk across it normally) so the solution may be to get rid of it after all. Sad day. greensad.gif
#4 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't see a solution other than keeping the door to the nursery closed. When my DS was a baby the nursery was closed to the dog.

I believe there are some pheromones or something you can buy to discourage them from peeing but I might just be for marking. I'm not sure...

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I did pick up a pheromone collar to try on the kitty, but we also got rid of the rug. We'll look for something flat or low pile like the other rugs in the house, since I think the texture was her biggest complaint! Hopefully, the pheromones will prevent her from picking a new spot to cause trouble.
#6 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi catzia, I'm also pregnant with my first, and dealing with a peeing cat! Except mine isn't our ancient crone of a feline, it's the year-old kitten that we got 7 months ago. Her spot to pee has been our new king-size bed greensad.gif
We're pretty certain that the peeing is due to the old cat picking on her, and her need to establish something as hers... A squeaky-clean fresh mattress, in this case! Blech. To be safe, DP is taking her to the vet this week, just to make sure there's no UTI issues. (We've already got 3 litter boxes, and DP cleans them daily.)

Anyway, we also got a pheremone collar for each cat, in the hopes that they'll get along better. It's only been 24 hours, and the kitten is already more friendly: She usually rarely purrs when I pet her, but is now purring up a storm! Maybe I'm being naive in my optimism, but I'm hoping this is it smile.gif
Good luck with your cat! Let us know how it's going.

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif

Tags
Pets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page