Dog has been snapping at my 8 month old baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog is a minpin/chihuahua mix. I rescued her when she was 5 weeks old (she's now 4 years old)

from the humane society. S
he was my constant companion when my husband was away (he was in the navy) and I was

completely alone in California 
2500 miles from anyone I knew for weeks or months at a time... I really truly love my dog..

& this whole situation 
just sucks.. 

At first, her and my son were quite the pair-- my baby loves her && he laughs at her and is amazed watching her
but now that he's become more mobile (( crawling && in the walker-- hes 8 months old this week )) she's become
a lot different. First, it was just jealousy type things -- she started taking his toys and destroying them. We just
got her to stop.. now she's peeing by his crib all the time and pooping under it all the time. She'll knock over the
hamper and pee all over his clothes and JUST his clothes. I've been scrubbing and scrubbing, and having to throw 
so many clothes out. Now this week, she's starting to growl and snap at him.. like if we didn't grab
her she would've bitten him in the face atleast 3 times now.. it seems to be when he's in his walker and he's standing
by the couch.. but the really weird thing is it's not when he's moving or even looking at her. I could understand 
( but of course would still be really mad ) if he was running up to her, or grabbing her or something.. but it's when
he's not doing anything he's just standing near me or my husband.

People keep telling me I should get a trainer or send her to some obediance thing.. but honestly I just think I need to find
her a new home as soon as possible. Is that extreme ? She hasn't actually bitten him but

I don't even want 
to take the chance. It's just not worth it to me.

Am I doing the right thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Awwww, that's so sad, I'm sorry.  I think you probably should find a new home for her, one where she is the primary baby, so to speak.  It's possible she could be trained not to bite, but I'm thinking she'll probably not be a good family pet because she won't bond with your son the way she has with you, and he might not enjoy her at all when he is old enough to defend himself from her.  My sister had a dog who she adopted as a puppy with another puppy, and the one dog became so protective she would attack other animals in the house, including her shelter-mate.  This dog just really wanted to be an only dog, and my sister found a home for her with an older couple who wanted a big dog of this type.  She is very pampered in her new home, and she was sad at first, but settled in and loves her new home.

But retraining might be worth a shot if you can't bear to part with her, especially if you can keep your dog in another room or in a crate except for walks or times when you are playing with her alone. 

I do have a friend who had a biting dog, and she sent him away to the breeder (it was a hunting dog) to be retrained for a week.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think there is more than one right thing in this scenario. Certainly, the dog will benefit from training and learning her place. She is displaying dominant behavior. It would take some work but you could probably make the situation livable for everyone. However, you would have to he really vigilant. You could never fully trust the dog alone with the child for some years to come. I know because I have this situation, although not as extreme. I have worked with my dog and even gotten him doggie therapy. I know what you mean when you say you love your dog. <3

All that being said, I don't think it's wrong for you to rehome if you think that is what is best. The main thing I would stress is to work with a local rescue to find a good home and try to make the transition as easy as possible for her. I have very little understanding for folks that simply drop their animals off at the pound. This little spirit helped you through some tough times and now she will be facing a tough time. It sounds like you will be keeping this in mind. :-)

Good luck to you. I know this is very hard. <3

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you ladies for responding smile.gif it means a lot.. I'm going to look into different training programs in the area today and give that a shot first, and if it doesn't work out my husbands cousin and his brother have both said they'd like to take her.

I think the problem is I did make her the baby of the family && all attention was completely focused on her for the first 3 years and now its more focused on our son.

Thank you so much ladies smile.gif
Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a really common problem especially for little dogs. But it's actually a blessing that she is little. Could you imagine if she was a large dog? There would be no way to keep her with the behaviors she has shown. It's a good thing that larger dogs don't get babied as much and are normally gentler with little children.

Good luck!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Tags
Pets
User Tag List