Have to part with my pet, feel devastated, need some support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone, the title says it all. Here's the story.......

7.5 years ago, shortly after I married, I saw a lively little ball python at the pet shop. Took him home and had a blast. Husband didn't like him, but tolerated his presence with the condition that I was the snake's sole caregiver.

Just had twins 5.5 weeks ago. No time for me or my snake. Snake is now not looking so hot...dull scales, not shedding regularly, not being fed enough....and possible mouth issues after a bad feeding episode. He roughed his mouth up during a feeding that included grabbing the mouse awkwardly and biting himself (the mouse was prekilled, by the way). Now has irritated gums. Still eats, as I fed him a few days ago.

Humane Society was called and snake will be taken there next week. Husband is happy. Says we should have rehomed him a long time ago. He's right. I am just heartbroken. My pet got into rough shape on my watch, but I want to think I am just overwhelmed, not a pet abuser.

Think I am doing the right thing, but feel just awful and am actually in tears as I type this. Have I done the right thing? Anyone else been through this? Please, I need some support. Thanks.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!
#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 PM

If you are not able to take care of him then the best thing you can do as a pet owner is rehome him to someone who can. You are doing a good thing.

#3 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

If you are not able to take care of him then the best thing you can do as a pet owner is rehome him to someone who can. You are doing a good thing.

I totally agree. You're recognizing your limits and taking steps to make sure he gets what he needs.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#4 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Yup, you will be busy for a while with twins, it's best to rehome him so he can get what he needs. Our dogs didn't get nearly enough attention when DD came along and I felt bad about that. But there was only one of her and things have levelled off since. Plus DH and other family members were able to step in and ensure they got the care they needed when I wasn't able to do it. I hope you come to peace with your decision.

#5 of 7 Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 PM

You are doing the right thing.  I understand.

caffix.gif

#6 of 7 Old 08-23-2013, 06:36 PM

Hugs, its okay.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone, for all your support. I fed my snake before surrendering him, gently removed the dull, dead skin that was stuck on his head, and cleaned his mouth out. when my husband dropped him off at the Humane Society, he was told that there were already a few people interested in adopting a snake, so mine will hopefully get rehomed soon. I was also told that the folks there said I can call and see what happened to him, and I might do that today. I know that I did the right thing, but I will miss him. My husband, not so much, lol.

TizTaz5, wife of a wonderful husband and mother of an angel (lost June '09) and two rainbow1284.gif babies born in July '13. Great things really do come in pairs!

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page