dog plane travel day after vaccine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dog is getting his first ever vaccine for rabies.  The next day we are flying.  I know more than likely he will be just fine, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to fly the next day.  Thoughts?

caffix.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it were me, I would skip the vaccine unless it is required for travel. You never know if he might get a reaction, and if he does, what will you do?

If he must get the vax, can he get it when he gets back home?

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

The vax isn't required to travel.  But, the vax is legally required where I live (and pretty much everywhere in Canada I assume) and it stresses me out that he doesn't have it.  It just works out that I will be able to afford it they day before we leave.  I really want him to have it before we go.  Since he's never had any shots I don't know what to expect. 

caffix.gif

Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Well, there's no guarantee he won't have a reaction but you can get a homeopathic called Thuja and administer that to him after. Can you change travel plans if he gets sick? The thing is sometimes you can't tell animals are sick until they are REALLY sick....

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Mos likely he will not have a reaction.

From a liability point of view I would not travel with unvaccinated animal. Dogs get stressed and bite. The victim of the bite can be very upset and seek damages if on top of all the stress he would have to get rabies shots.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Mos likely he will not have a reaction.

From a liability point of view I would not travel with unvaccinated animal. Dogs get stressed and bite. The victim of the bite can be very upset and seek damages if on top of all the stress he would have to get rabies shots.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about the last part.  I'm not questioning whether or not to get him a rabies vaccine.

Part of me thinks I am just overthinking things.  Maybe I'll see if I can change his appointment to next week (still before we go) just so at least I can put my mind to rest.

caffix.gif

Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 PM

I totally understand and I don't think you are over thinking it. I would try and schedule it so you at least have a few days before he has to get on a plane. Even going to the vet and then getting on a plane the next day can be stressful for doggie. :-)

joy.gif

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM

I would wait until you are done travelling. Frankly, some dogs have serious reactions, but even ones who don't are often unsettled and act funny for a couple of days after. And all the changes and stress during travel will be bad enough for him. Then again I'm not a stickler for the "rules" and one of my dogs hasn't had a rabies vaccine in years (mind you, he is 14 so his system really doesn't need the stress at this point). We don't do any other vaccines either, haven't for quite a while now.

And when you do get the vaccine make sure you get the 3 year one. I have in the past had to call a few vet clinics to find one that carried it (this was several years ago though). It is basically the same vaccine as the 1 year one, but it has been rated differently so that you won't have to overload him with the annual shots if you decide to keep getting it. And of course, I wouldn't get any combo vaccines either. Some vets really try to push stuff on you, but hopefully you've got a good one and it won't be an issue.

Good luck with your trip! We have flown with one of our dogs a few times, the other (a greyhound) is too tall to fit in any crates that they would carry on a regular plane. LOL

Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  I decided to go ahead and book the appointment for the week before we leave.   For my peace of mind it's worth it!  I know the chances of him being just fine are in my favor but this just feels better.  I really want him to get the shot before we go.  He's a seasoned traveller and has been all over Canada many times smile.gif,  but the stress of not being up to date with rabies is too much for me.  Thanks for the info about the 3 year vax.  Our vet has thus far been amazing ( we have a sick cat and they have been very generous with providing free xrays and boarding because we are kind of broke right now), and this time I am going to get whatever shot they give me.  But I will look into the 3 year one for next time because it sounds a lot better.

caffix.gif

Old 08-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post

Our vet has thus far been amazing ( we have a sick cat and they have been very generous with providing free xrays and boarding because we are kind of broke right now), and this time I am going to get whatever shot they give me.  But I will look into the 3 year one for next time because it sounds a lot better.

It's worth a call to ask anyway, very nicely of course. Sometimes they have both or can get the one you want.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that the 3 year vax can only be administered the year after the first dose of 1 year rabies vax.

caffix.gif

Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post

I thought that the 3 year vax can only be administered the year after the first dose of 1 year rabies vax.

I don't see why that would be true... Some vets do have bizzarre rules though, one I contacted said they use the 3 year shot but give it every 2 years "just in case". :eyesroll

I suppose it depends on where you live. In Ontario from what I recall it only says that it must be given according to manufacturer's directions (i.e. 1 year vaccination every year and 3 year vaccination every 3 years).

Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

He had his shot.  He needs another one this time next year, and then after that it will be every 3 years.  I'm ok with that.

caffix.gif

Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 AM

The reason a 3 year can be administered only after a 1 year is done is to assure immunity.  All vaccines get a booster.  My last hospital I worked at we were an AAHA hosp.  The policies there are after the first year of vaccines (puppy series or if older the first series) a booster is given the following year.  THen rabies is every 3 (if using the 3 year vacs) and DHPP is every 3 years. Bordetella (kennel cough), Lepto and Lymes is given annually as they do not last in the system as long. (ps I'm a vet tech of 17 years)

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

The reason a 3 year can be administered only after a 1 year is done is to assure immunity.  All vaccines get a booster.  My last hospital I worked at we were an AAHA hosp.  The policies there are after the first year of vaccines (puppy series or if older the first series) a booster is given the following year.  THen rabies is every 3 (if using the 3 year vacs) and DHPP is every 3 years. Bordetella (kennel cough), Lepto and Lymes is given annually as they do not last in the system as long. (ps I'm a vet tech of 17 years)

Thanks for the great explanation.  I'm really happy to have the 3 year option for the future.

caffix.gif

Tags
Pets
User Tag List