Pet Insurance - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Should we get pet insurance for our 10 month old pup?

How does it work?

Does it save you money in the long run for just regular care, or just if you have a major illness/surgery?

What is your favorite?

Our Vet recommended Embrace. She said that it was good , but you have to pay for extra coverage for vaccinations and wellness care. I like that it does include alternative therapies like acupuncture, but I am not sure if I have seen any dog acupuncturists in the phone book!!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Have others looked into pet insurance? Is it a good deal?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM

I looked into it for our two dogs and decided against it. It seemed like putting aside the money we would spend on premiums would work better, then we could use it if needed. Plus then you don't have to worry about them not approving your claim and such. They definitely didn't seem to make sense for routine care, only in case of a catastrophe. Especially since we tend to go very easy on the "routine" stuff like vaccines to protect their health.

The couple of situations I thought it might be helpful is:

- if you are getting a puppy (older dogs often have higher premiums) of a breed that is known to have major hereditary issues that are expensive to care for or treat

- if paying for a major accident like a broken leg or something would be a financial hardship for your family and you would not be able to swing it

If it seems like it might be beneficial for you I would certainly read all the fine print, some things that caught my eye when researching were:

- when do the premiums go up? with age of pet and by how much?

- lifetime maximums and are they reasonable for what you will be paying in premiums over the pet's expected lifespan?

- exclusions and any requirements you need to meet (such as getting annual vaccines when those are not recommended anymore, especially if you need to pay for these yourself), any potential "loopholes" that may prevent your claims from being paid

It was several years ago that we looked into this, so that's just what I remember from our research. There are likely different, and perhaps better, options available now. I do remember all the researching was exhausting though! Good luck!

#4 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM

I've looked into it several times, and I've always decided against it.

One of the main deciding factors for me is that pet healthcare bills are never going to get so high that it becomes an extreme financial burden (as opposed to a human who can quickly run up healthcare bills over $100,000 with a new or severe diagnosis).

Healthcare bills for pets are certainly expensive.  Every one of my pets has had at least one major health event/problem in their life that has cost $1000+.  One kitten that I adopted from an animal shelter had distemper (I did not know that at the time).  I spent over $6,000 doing everything possible; but, he still passed away less than a week after I adopted him.  It was heartbreaking.

I decided to put away money in an emergency fund rather than paying insurance premiums.  I have an amount of money saved that I feel would cover a health catastrophe with my pets.  If their healthcare costs exceeded that amount, I could dip into my regular savings accounts, sell things, find extra work, etc. to finance it.  Health insurance for people makes a lot of sense to me--but not so much for pets.

#5 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Definitely will take your advice and read the fine print, and have more $$ put into the emergency fund!

We have a german shepherd/ lab mix puppy, and 2 cats, aged 8 and 12. Probably will have issues with one of the cats before the puppy.

Our cats have not been to the vet for going on 4 years. I do need to get their rabies vaccinations, but that would be about it.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page