My 3yo DD and 2 kittens - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was checking on my mom's property while she was away on a trip and found two kittens in her backyard. I looked diligently for the mama cat, and took the kittens around to the houses around my mom's, but no one laid claim to them.

I took them home and have been caring for them for two weeks. They were so young I had to feed them cat formula with an eye dropper at first!!

Problem is my daughter... after telling her repeatedly not to pull their tails, pick them up wrong, poke their eyes etc... I'm just fed up. I'm beginning to think she's just outright cruel and that I need to find another home for the kittens.

Is this normal behavior for her age? Is there anything I can do to improve this situation?

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#2 of 2 Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post

I was checking on my mom's property while she was away on a trip and found two kittens in her backyard. I looked diligently for the mama cat, and took the kittens around to the houses around my mom's, but no one laid claim to them.

I took them home and have been caring for them for two weeks. They were so young I had to feed them cat formula with an eye dropper at first!!

Problem is my daughter... after telling her repeatedly not to pull their tails, pick them up wrong, poke their eyes etc... I'm just fed up. I'm beginning to think she's just outright cruel and that I need to find another home for the kittens.

Is this normal behavior for her age? Is there anything I can do to improve this situation?

Yes, keep her away from the kittens unless you are supervising her the entire time!

If she pokes or pulls, take her away from the kittens.  She'll certainly learn cause and effect.  Do something you are told not to do and lose the privilege.

Some children, despite their age, are better with animals than others.

Are you planning on keeping the kittens?  Have they been checked by a vet?

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page