URGENT! Abscess on cat's head... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My fiance's cat is an inside/outside cat, male, not neutered.  (We won't flame for this- there are bigger problems on the table right now.  My own cat is a neutered, inside only, male cat, and I plan on making Griffyn one as well before we marry and live together.)  One of those once-in-a-lifetime cats- friendliest cat in the world, you would think he's a dog the way he responds to my fiance and his children and the way he acts.  Until yesterday.

Yesterday, my fiance noticed that the cat has a swollen wound with puss coming out of it on the top of his head, and his head is swollen so that one of his eyes can only partially open.  Griffyn is now lethargic, sleeping more than usual and only eating a little.  He tried to scratch my fiance today when my fiance touched his head- behavior unheard of for Griffyn, so we know he's in some serious pain.  My fiance has severe money problems right now and I'm on an extremely fixed budget at the moment (as in, I could maybe spare $20), so we don't know how either of us can afford vet bills.  But... we don't want Griffyn to be in pain or get worse... or lose him.  Suggestions?!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You have to go to the vet and get antibiotics.  Or he will die a horrible death from sepsis. Ask a vet for a payment plan. See if your local SPCA offers slinging scale.

kblackstone444 likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Payment plan I'd thought of- my fiance is calling first thing tomorrow morning.  Sliding scale at the local SPCA I didn't think of- we'll look into that as well.  This sucks.  But thank you for the suggestions.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#4 of 9 Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you have 24 hr emergency vet nearby?  I would go tonight.

If none is available try warm compresses to drain more puss and hydrate him.  Cats dehydrate really fast.

I am very sorry it is happening.

I live in $$$$ area and my cat had an abscess on his face. Emergency room visit and pills were $98. 

I hope it is cheaper in your area.

#5 of 9 Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

No 24 hour vet.  My fiance's getting the kids off to school and bringing the cat right in.  Griff wouldn't let anyone touch his head.

#6 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thinking of you and wondering how everything turned out with your kitty.  Sending your family much love.

hh2.gif

#7 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Long story short, there was no overnight vet, but the abscess burst- blood, pus everywhere on my fiance's bed- so my fiance called his late Wife's uncle is in animal rescue and he suggested peroxide until we could get to the vet.  It drained overnight and Griffyn was not happy about the peroxide, but it was cleaned and drained before he even got to the vet and with antibiotics, he's almost healed up now.  He's got a giant scab on the top of his head, but it's a normal scab now, and he's pretty bald on the top of his head.  Griffyn's gonna have one heck of a scar, and probably be somewhat baldheaded, but he's healing nicely and back to his normal self now.

#8 of 9 Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, this experience should make it easier to convince your df to go along with the indoor-cat thing! Glad everyone's doing well smile.gif
kblackstone444 likes this.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#9 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post

Well, this experience should make it easier to convince your df to go along with the indoor-cat thing! Glad everyone's doing well smile.gif

Exactly.  ;)  :D

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page