Entertaining a New Puppy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I was looking for an older rescue dog. I registered with Boxer, Akita, and German Shepard rescue groups. Somehow, I managed to come home with a 4 month old St. Bernard/Rottweiller mix last night! I love tired old dogs, and really don't understand exactly how this happened. :rotflmao I know she will settle into being a great dog for our family. She slept on her bed in my room last night, woke me once to go outside, and has generally been fine. Housebreaking and beginning obedience have been started, and I think it will go well. I have used a crate in the past, but didn't have one ready - I don't think I will need one for this girl. She has been a little bit whiney, but not a big issue. Definitely needs to learn some manners - she jumps on people for attention, and nips at your face. Cute now, but not OK when she tops 100 lbs. Our elderly poodle and aloof cat are not impressed with the new addition to the family, but so far, everybody is just ignoring everybody else. No major problems anticipated. When she is reliably housetrained (and knows not to jump or nip) she will be able to come with me to work at least one or two days a week. I work in a dog-friendly office 1-2 days a week; out in the community the rest of the week. The office even has a huge fenced yard! There are usually several other dogs around, and it will be a good opportunity for socializing with people as well, but she will need to be able to lay quietly during staff meetings and when I am on the computer.

We are experienced with housebreaking and puppy training - welcome any tips, but that isn't really my question. I don't know how to keep her amused. She is a real sweetheart - great cuddler, always ready to play. But although someone is almost always home around here, we are not really able or willing to be the 24/7 entertainment directors. Anytime she is awake, she is wanting someone's undivided attention. How do you teach a dog to self-entertain? She is seriously underweight, so I am thinking a peanut butter filled Kong will be a good challenge for her. She certainly loves food!  She will also need to ride in the backseat of my car (without a kid to entertain her!) We don't have experience on this facet of puppy life - any suggestions?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new puppy! It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have suggestions on how to teach a puppy to self-entertain?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

following...

Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently picked up a "tug a jug" dog toy, where playing with the rope end results in treats being dropped out of it. We've had moderate success. He hasn't quite figured it out yet. I've heard kongs are great, but peanut butter is very high in sugar for dogs. 

They do make other puzzle toys for dogs that can be found on amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=puzzle%20toys%20for%20dogs&sprefix=puzzle+toys+%2Caps%2C298&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apuzzle%20toys%20for%20dogs

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Tags
Pets
User Tag List