do you vaccinate your dogs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am wondering if people here sometimes don't vaccinate their dogs. 

Also, do you give internal flea prevention?

thanks!

#2 of 12 Old 12-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do vaccinate my dog. She occasionally stays at a wonderful kennel on a sheep farm and current vaccines are required.
#4 of 12 Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Our dog (a five-year-old lab-pit mix) was fully vaccinated as a puppy but as I started researching the topic more I started giving him fewer vaccines.  Now the only one he receives is the rabies vaccination every three years as required by the county I live in.  My vet automatically gave the rabies vax every year, but I requested he receive it every three years instead, which is the minimum he will do.  I know you can have titers drawn (not all vets do them but if you call around you can probably find one who will) and make your decision based on their antibody status.  It is a little more pricey but not too bad.  I also do not give the dog any sort of flea treatments, internal or external.  We have never seen a flea on him or anywhere in our house.  If he did get fleas I would treat it naturally and only turn to the stronger medications as a last resort.  One thing he does get is a monthly heartworm medication.  Our dog is an indoor dog that spends a lot of time outside with us.  He is never really outside by himself though, except for a few minutes to go potty, and then he wants to come right back inside to be with us.  If he lived outside most of the time I might do things a little bit differently.  We never board him - we are lucky enough to have family and friends who live in the area that are happy to watch him if we have to leave him for a weekend now and then, but we try to take him pretty much everywhere we go - but if you have to leave your dog at a kennel from time to time that would be a consideration too.

Edited to add that I did lose a puppy to parvo once.  I was only 13 so I can't remember exactly how old she was, but we thought her previous owners had her vaccinated and they hadn't.  I would do parvo and distemper for puppies, but probably not annually for their entire lives.

#5 of 12 Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 PM

I lost a much-loved cat to distempter and a much-loved dog to parvovirus. Even though both were caught early on and received immediate and continuous veterinary care ($$$$), both ultimately died from the diseases. It was horrid. Absolutely horrid. I don't plan to go through that again. All future pets will receive the full set of shots initially, and then titers (with vaccinations as necessary) afterwards.
Springshowers likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 12-22-2013, 03:08 PM

We stopped vaccinating our younger dog (currently almost 11) at 2 and our older dog (currently 14) at 5, when we got him. The younger one still gets a 3 year rabies shot, older one doesn't. If I got a puppy (unlikely) I would have to do some research but right now I'm leaning towards a (possibly modified) puppy series of vaccines, and maybe another set at a year old or so. If I got another older dog typically the rescue/shelter would have give them vaccines to bring them "up to date" so I would probably not do additional ones.

Re: flea medication, we only had a problem with fleas once when our dog picked them up from a newly-adopted playmate who came to our house. Since then we've reduced vaccines and other medication and switched to a raw diet and haven't had any other issues despite frequent visits to a dog park for several years and a couple of stays at a boarding kennel. I think this is largely geographical though, in some areas it may be a very good idea and if I tried going without and had repeated issues with fleas I would consider the medication.

#7 of 12 Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 AM

Yes, and my kids too. ;-) I just bought the 7 in 1 shots from the farm supply store and gave my dogs their shots myself. I'm a nurse and this was easy to do for me, not to mention it was only $5.99 per dog. I still need to get their rabies shots at the clinic because it's a live virus and needs to be handled by a vet.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM

I wish I didn't have to but it's required here to have him licensed, so yes we do get his Rabbies Vaccine:( 

#9 of 12 Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a rescue dog so he was vaccinated but now that he's with us he doesn't get any. He's on a raw food diet and is extremely healthy.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#10 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM

As puppies, yes, I get the recommended shots. Considering that I want my dog to be able to participate in dog sports, accompany me out and about, and walk in the woods with me I think vaccines are a must. 

I don't believe that vaccines every year for everything is necessary, however, once full adulthood is reached. I have a vet who is cautious about vaccines, doesn't do rabies along with anything else on a visit, and is generally a great vet. He spoke in depth with me about how vaccine challenges are done, and what it really means for a one year vs three year vaccine. 

While I think not giving some vaccines is choice, not giving rabies at least every 3 years is dangerous. Besides the risk of the disease, there's the risk of being immediatly put down due to unknown vaccine status in case of an accidental bite or scratch.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#11 of 12 Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No vax or flea/tic meds. I have spent 20 years researching vaccines, and don't vax my children so why would I vax my dog? Our dog is three year old, and we have had him since he was 9 1/2 weeks old, he has never had a flea on him. He has never needed a sick visit to the vet either.

AllyFolsom likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 12 Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM

I vaccinate all three of my dogs. However, I choose not to give them a Bordetella vaccine because I never board them in kennels and such.

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page