Gray flakes coming off quaker parrot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My mom has a quaker parrot, and whenever I visit I help her with her new feathers on her neck k, covered in that white sheeths. I open them up and she loves it. Such a sweet bird. If birds could purr... She was purring! Anyway, I'm used to getting all that white stuff on my shirt when I do that. This time though, in addition, I also found a bunch of gray specks. Never seen anything like that come off her. Each one is about the size of a poppy seed. Any idea what that could be, and if it could be a sign of a problem? (mites?)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Bumping up for input. Anyone with a parrot who might have some info to share?

#3 of 3 Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I don't know parrots, but I know chickens.  The sheaths are a normal part of a molt.  Slow molts you might not notice anything except the debris from the sheaths and some extra feathers lying around.  

The specks, now, they could possibly be mites or lice.  On chickens, mites and lice congregate around the ears and the vent--especially the vent because of the moisture.  You need the bird to be calm and willing, and you need to really get the feathers aside to see what's going on there.  The specks might otherwise be part of the normal molting process, but it sounds suspicious.  However, if the bird has had no contact with other birds, getting parasites is problematic and would cause me to lean towards a side effect of molting.  But check anyway.  It does sound suspicious.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page