Cat peeing on bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cat has been peeing on my bed, any pile of clothes on the floor, shoes occasionally, the dog's bed, and now, most recently, my daughter's bed.  

He has been to the vet a few times.  He had a UTI and crystals at one point, during this time he literally was never using the litter box.  Things got better, but not perfect once he was cured.  He was given an antibiotic and we switched him to a dry Hill Urinary Track diet.  About a month after that he was acting up again, I took another sample in to the doctor.  She called me and said that there was no UTI and no Crystals, but that he seemed dehydrated and to switch him to wet food, grocery store brand was fine.  (By the way, there is always water out for him, that I change frequently).  So, I found  a grocery store brand, 9 lives I think, that is made for cats with urinary issues, and things were going great for about 6 weeks.  Then, boom.  He's peeing all over again.  It started last week and I don't know what to do.  We try to keep my daughter's door closed when we're not home, and have the sensor things for the bed that beep to scare him when he jumps on.  Those aren't practical during the day because my daughter is 3 and plays on her bed.  

His cat box is clean, is in a safe quiet place, cat litter is the same.  

What to do?  My husband wants to get rid of him, and I'm starting to see his point, but I love this guy, he's such a lover.  Still, we can't have a cat that pees where our young daughter sleeps.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Is he possibly stressed about something?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's possible you might want to try changing where the litter box is, and or the brand of litter itself and scrub the litter box really well, we had a cat who pretty much all of her life refused to use the litter box we only found out shortly before we had to put her down that she had massively painful abdominal cancer that over time made going to the bathroom painful, and she associated that pain with the litter box itself. Moral of the story UTIs are painful especially for a male cat, and he might have started associating that spot or smell or feel with pain, and the relapse might have been just to early to catch. Also Cats developed in desert regions primarily and water was a dangerous place to be so cats get most of their hydration from food(blood) so even if you have water always available cats tend not to drink enough to be truly hydrated.

Tags
Pets
User Tag List