Please help me troubleshoot my dog's diet issues! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I have a toy poodle who will be 10yo later this year.  I got her when she was just going on 4yo.  She came with a whole pharmacy full of pills...some to make her poop and some to keep her from pooping too much, some to keep her from puking...plus the usual heartworm pills and topical flea gel.

She also came with a big 'ol bag of grocery store kibble.

The first thing I did was put her on high-end kibble.  Within a week or so, she didn't need any meds at all, other than the monthy heartworm.  I never did boosters on any of her vaccines except rabies.

As time went by, I learned about raw feeding and eventually switched to Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, rotating varieties daily.  Then I stopped working and money was tight so I put her on canned Instinct.  When they came out with Raw Boost kibble, I gave that a shot and that's when everything fell apart.  It seems that it is high in sodium.  She got a raging UTI and was very, very sick for weeks.  I put her back on NV Raw.  Not long after, she had a rabies booster and went off her food for a few days.  A year went by, she had been better for a bit, and then she had another rabies booster.  

Since then (some time last year) she has a weird problem...her stomach is super sensitive.  If I go even a teeny bit beyond 12 hour feeding intervals, her stomach starts squeaking and growling and she then refuses to eat.  I try very hard to always feed her at 7am and 7pm, but sometimes life interferes and people come before animals and occasionally I don't get home to feed her until 8pm or maybe 9.  If I know I will be out late, I will sometimes feed her earlier, but then it throws her off in the morning.

I stopped buying beef and chicken food, thinking those would be the most likely to be of lower quality, even in a good brand like NV.  We are sticking with lamb, rabbit, and venison for now.  If she refuses a meal, it usually turns into 2 or 3 missed meals before she can eat again.  I'm wasting a ton of food and she really can't lose any weight bc she already is so tiny.  Any idea what this could be?

Oh, and PS:  I know someone will suggest just buying meat from the grocery store, but she never learned to eat meat off a bone and anything in chunks doesn't register to her brain as food.  I've tried it and unless it is ground into oblivion, she will just sniff it and walk away and the idea here is to get her to eat more.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
#2 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sorry about your pup's tummy troubles. Have you had her checked out by a vet to rule out any medical issues?

So if I'm understanding correctly, she does okay of you're able to feed her at 12-hour intervals? Is there any way you could feed her 3 times a day so that you wouldn't have to be so precise with the timing of the evening feed? Then maybe you could push her dinner back to 8 or so, giving yourself a little extra cushion of time for the morning feed as well.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 9 Old 04-15-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

She's been really sick since her last two (and last ever!) rabies shots. She was on denamarin for a month due to elevated liver enzymes and had a round of antibiotics for a reading UTI.

I had thought the raw food would be enough to get her back on track gut-wise. Do I need to try a probiotic maybe?

I also had thought about three feeds a day. I'll start there tomorrow for sure!

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Has she been seen by her vet since the last rabies shot?? 

Sounds like she should get a check-up, maybe by a new vet.

#5 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

At the end of her life, our dog ate Evangers Canned, which is pretty much just normal human food. She had great success with it for the last 6 years of her life and she was very old. Low in sodium (we had that problem, esp with food containing fish), balanced, palatable.

You could try making the meal presentation into a more relaxing time? Maybe the dog gets anxious, which upsets her stomach.

I am not a fan of pills. If it was my dog I would try to eliminate medicines.

Also give the best quality water that you can, even bottled water. Plaque and residue in the joints and organs in a small animal can be significant over time. 

Also Love. Lots of love.

#6 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

I would try her on Primal Defense probiotic and see if that helps, it is a soil based probiotic which is thought to be better for dogs. I would also consider consulting with a homeopathic vet for help her heal from the vaccinosis.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 9 Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post

Has she been seen by her vet since the last rabies shot?? 

Sounds like she should get a check-up, maybe by a new vet.

We've had hundreds of dollars of testing. The only reason I am staying with the current one is because she acknowledged the reaction and told me if I chose to never do another vaccine, she wouldn't report me.  Otherwise, I would totally be out of there.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

Also give the best quality water that you can, even bottled water. Plaque and residue in the joints and organs in a small animal can be significant over time. 

RO with Concentrace, same as the people drink.  Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I would try her on Primal Defense probiotic and see if that helps, it is a soil based probiotic which is thought to be better for dogs. 

Is that from Garden of Life?  I love their products and would definitely try her on that.  

And so after posting this, she hasn't had a "squeaky stomach" in days.  It's so weird, I have no clue what's going one, but I did get rabbit variety raw food half off and her miraculous healing seems to have coincided with that.  Maybe eliminating chicken and beef wasn't enough.  Maybe she can't handle venison or lamb, either?

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 9 Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

RO with Concentrace, same as the people drink.  Thoughts?

That's kind of the opposite of what I meant by "good water" - I meant as pure H2O as possible. Natural low-mineral spring water from the ground or distilled water. I would only give the mineral supplements occasionally, and to be honest, I think there are so many better ways to get minerals than by altering good water. We gave my dog food supplements of all the same things we eat: seaweed flakes, red meat, herbs, UV clay, egg yolks, even tea (she loved a cup of organic black tea with lemon over her food). The body needs support in processing everything (nutrients rather than toxins or fillers, if the diet is good). Pure water and exercise are the best support for the organs and joints to stimulate and help them clean and move the body.

When she is having upset stomach, could you just sit with her and pet her for awhile? It's possible that she has a stress response or excitement over the sensations or mealtime in general. I would try to soothe her and ease digestion. Also gentle heat on the stomach if she will tolerate it.

One of my dogs developed a melanin reaction to rabies shots when she was younger. I think the shots are very bad, and I wish that they would be administered less liberally. Hopefully this situation will improve with time.

I think a little probiotic is a good idea but I suspect that it will counteract or be counteracted by the liver enzyme meds.

My dog also had liver trouble but we didn't medicate. We felt it would only make the situation worse. The liver is what processes meds, so any meds will tax the liver. Liver problems present a catch-22. So we decided to keep her food portions regulated and kept her active. Liver failure is what she eventually died from, but she had a very long healthy life.

#9 of 9 Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

And so after posting this, she hasn't had a "squeaky stomach" in days.  It's so weird, I have no clue what's going one, but I did get rabbit variety raw food half off and her miraculous healing seems to have coincided with that.  Maybe eliminating chicken and beef wasn't enough.  Maybe she can't handle venison or lamb, either?

Rabbit is very lean and since the liver function is required to digest fat, then it's possible that the leaner meat is good for her right now. I would try to include lamb also because it has a very healthy fat profile (high in easily-digested mono) and lamb is usually quite hypoallergenic for sensitive systems. Maybe add a spoonful to her rabbit food. Organic chicken may also be good; typical chicken sometimes isn't raised well and can contain hormones etc. Evangers had an organic chicken meal that we included in the rotation and my dog did well with it. 

We did refrigerate leftovers and reserve them to her once again within 24 hours, so you don't have to throw all of it away. I hope this helps.

Tags
Pet Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page