shitzu-poodle mix barking at my baby bunny- help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how can i get my 1yo shi-poo to tolerate the cat in my home and baby bunny in my kitchen?! HELp!!!! i cannot bond to the bunny the way i want to, without the puppy barking like a nut, which makes the bunny run into his cage.... i'm really upset. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Keep the dog out of the kitchen.  Either close the door or put up a baby/pet gate.  Hang a towel over the gate so that do cannot see rabbit (and, rabbit cannot see dog).

Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

i do have a gate up and he barks through the gate. i put a towel up, and he pulled it down (he's a puppy). i need to know what i can do to stop the behavior.

thank you for responding though! :)

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Put a piece of cardboard on the gate side opposite where the dog is.  He won't be able to pull that down.  Attach it with zip (cable) ties. 

When / if he barks, put him in another room (preferable a room you don't use much) and close the door.  He'll learn that barking = banishment.  Think of it as CIO for your dog.  He'll stop barking.  Put his bed in there, as well as some water. 

When you let him out of the room, if he barks, back into the room.   

He'll soon understand that that room means "bad dog for barking".

Either that, or get a shock collar which will deliver a mild zap each time he barks.  I've friends that have used such collars to great effect on their small and big dogs.  They were used for short-term only and the dogs quickly stopped barking.  By the way, I was in their home when the collar "zapped" and the dogs didn't make a single yip or cry.  Just a surprised look and no more barking.  Quite amazing. 

I wish I could put a shock collar on our neighbor's huge dog that barks all night.  They're moving soon and everyone is so glad!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

thank you! i appreciate the advice! we were actually thinking of the bark collar. that's for the short-term. for the long-term, we are going to start training him. he needs to know that it is unacceptable behavior to go after any other animal in our home. we are trying to promote peace and harmony. (now, if only my kids could understand that! LOL!)

Tags
Pets
User Tag List