2 week old kitten losing weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My sil has a litter of 2 week old kittens. Due has been tracking their weight daily in grams. All have been gaining well, except one who has started to lose weight the last 2 days. Yesterday she was in pretty bad shape, lethargic. Bad enough sil was surprised she was alive this morning. I came over today to try and help. She is nursing, but weighing before and after shows no increase. After a syringe feeding in which more formula is spilled on the bed than swallowed, she increases 2-3 grams. I watched her latch and she seems to be doing everything right, taking a good amount of nipple in her mouth, tongue sticking out over the bottom "lip", kneading with her paws, actively sucking, but we're concerned she just isn't extracting milk effectively. Mama has plenty of milk, I tested the nipple and it squirted across the room! Mom and babies saw the vet today. All babies appear healthy. She watched her nurse and confirmed that behaviorally, she is normal. The weight loss is just bizarre. The vet said she didn't even seem very small compared to the others. Normal length, just a little thin. Her head is just a little on the small side, which there was no real explanation for. We're hoping she just hit a rough patch and it will sort itself out, but in the meantime, she's getting syringe supplements and the vet showed me how to do a tube feed if the syringe isn't getting enough in her. That'll be a last resort. Any idea what could be going on with this little one? The vet didn't have a clue!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 8 Old 05-09-2014, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is something called fading kitten syndrome. I've witnessed it and had it happen with my bottle babies. The kitten nurses and gains and one day they start to lose weight and just, basically, fade away. I have not heard of any way to stop it from happening.

Hugs and I hope this isn't the case.

Me - 39 - mthfr c677t and multiple unknown caused m/c's
DH - 40 - old and cranky
DS - 6 - ASD and severe adhd
#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

The syringe feedings are going well now, thank goodness. Before, sil had a larger syringe (like that would come with kids medicine) and with a skinny syringe from the vet it's easier to control. Baby has been gaining appropriate amounts. But still seems weaker than the others greensad.gif who knows. I hope she perks up and is normal but really, keeping her tummy full is all that can be done at this point, and I guess it's possible there's something congenital going on that we can't see

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 AM

Glad to hear she's gaining weight. Is she the runt of the litter?

DH - 40 - old and cranky
#5 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, she's the runt. And we have a strange twist! So, she gained weight last night without having any supplementation! YAY for successful nursing! But a different kitten lost weight. One other stayed the same, and the 4th gained a *ton*. They're making sure mama is getting plenty to eat, with lots of good wet food. This is her 2nd litter, and her first litter (of 5) were perfect.

#6 of 8 Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 PM

How is everyone doing? Yea, you usually have one who is the runt and one who is a pig. lol Glad she gained!!

DH - 40 - old and cranky
#7 of 8 Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, as of this morning, 3 of them gained, but not very much each. The one who lost a little bit was the piggie!! So, its kinda weird, but at least seems to be averaging out to everyone gaining weight? They seem to be developing well, sitting up, taking some wobbly steps, climbing out of their box. They sure are adorable!! :love I bet another week or so and they're running around tearing the house apart! 

#8 of 8 Old 05-15-2014, 05:50 AM

joy.gif so glad they are doing well. I imagine they are an adorable bundle. Is sil getting mom fixed?

DH - 40 - old and cranky

Tags
Pets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page