Hyperthyroidism treatment.....medication or radiation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our 12 year old cat was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.  We're going to start medication, but are wondering if the radiation treatment to eliminate the problem is better.  We've had conflicting feedback on the best course moving forward (medication didn't solve the issue vs. radiation being very tough on cats that age).  All my my cats have lived to be 16-19 years old so I'm hoping (hoping!hoping!hoping!) he will be with us for several more years, and I want them to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Your experiences would be helpful. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hi,
Not sure if you have decided on a course of treatment yet since this was written almost a month ago, but I can describe my recent experience. My 13-year-old cat was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, too. The vet suggested trying meds first. I had visions of stuffing pills down an unwilling cat's throat. Luckily, it hasn't turned out that way. The pills he takes are very small, so I have to give them morning and evening, and are colored bright pink. They are small enough that I can hide them in cheese (one of his favorite treats) or other food, even wet food. So far he has not spit them out. Also, the bright color helps me see whether he's left the pill in the food or not. He seems to be gaining a little weight, even just after 4-5 days, so I am hopeful. You do have to give the medication for the rest of their lives, which might be a consideration. My vet said the radiation is much more expensive. The pills were $35 for a 50-day supply.
Hope your cat is doing better!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Last edited by Ragana; 06-11-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Oops! Got the price of the meds wrong.

Tags
Pets
User Tag List