Getting a puppy soon and feeling "rusty" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Getting a puppy soon and feeling "rusty"

Hi everyone,

I used to be very much involved into dog's world, I used to be a professional dog trainer (in-depth obedience), but it was a long time ago and I have not owned a dog in over 12 years. So now I feel totally "rusty" and not up to date on the dogs world of 21st century .

Our family finally decided to get a puppy (it took my husband 12 years to come around!) and I already found a breeder I want to go with. The breed is Olde English Bulldogge and the puppy is going to be 8 weeks when she comes home. Hopefully, if a female that just got bred gets pregnant, we should have her sometime in November!

So I wanted to ask all you, naturally minded dog owners, to please help me with a crush course on being a 21 century dog owner.

I am planning on feeding the dog primarily raw diet: raw meats (free of hormones, antibiotics), raw liver and other organ meat, raw meet with bones (not the sharp bones), raw previously frozen wild caught fish, some plain yogurt (I am thinking of White Mountain Brand as it is very fermented and unusually high in probiotics; I figured I will be marinating pre-cut meats in the yogurt for 30 min or so prior to feeding to the dog while she is still young).

The breeder will be feeding the puppy exclusively dogs food, so would it be safe to "jump" into raw diet right away or should I do it gradually?

Now what about NuVet supplements? I keep hearing how great it is. Is it really? Or maybe I should just pick a food derived human multivitamin, something like Garden of Life Family (where the recommended dosage is 4 capsules for an adult person), so that I could start with one capsule and increase to 2 or 3 as the puppy grows?

What about the heart worm prevention meds? Which one is the best and most gentle? Where do I get it from? I would imagine that I only need to give it during the warm season when there are actually mosquitos? Or does it need to be given year around? (we live in Colorado).

What about the biggest concern: vaccines? For my kids I am strongly in the "No-vax" camp after researching it in-depth for 8+ years. Yet, I feel differently with a dog (without doing much research yet). Getting infected with parvo is a very real danger and rabies shot is a law. By the time the puppy comes to us at 8 weeks, she will get (and there is no way around it, I already asked, just in case): Neopar (Parvo Vaccine) at 4 weeks and again at 6 weeks. Then at 8 weeks she will get a 5way combo vaccine. The 5way is distemper, adenovirus type 1 and 2, parainfluenza and parvo virus. I want to delay rabies shot till the dog is about a year old (or close to that age). What would be YOUR course of actions as far as vaccines if you got a puppy with above vaccines and why? Which other shots would you give her (and at what age) and which ones skip?

What is a safe tick prevention during the warm season?

I feel so overwhelmed and ignorant. Please help me get my confidence back.

Thanks in advance for any input and advise.

y.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page