• 1 Post By Linda on the move
  • 1 Post By bluebird537
  • 1 Post By Ragana

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Partner allergic to cat- help!

We adopted a kitten a little over a week ago, it was actually more my partner's idea than mine (although I love cats so had no problem with it). She's doing quite well.

But, of course, we got home and suddenly my partner's allergies started acting up. The cat's scratches cause an immediate reaction as well- itching, swelling, it looks like bug bites. My partner's been taking OTC allergy meds non-stop but it isn't doing too much.

Thankfully, kiddo hasn't shown any signs of problems and my partner isn't the type to de-home an animal over this- but we do need to figure out an option. We don't have insurance at the moment, are there any natural or inexpensive remedies?

#2 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
One thing that helps me is to have my bedroom completely pet free and keep it super clean. That gives me an 8 hour break at night. I also use a netti pot 2-3 times a day. All of my allergies other me less when I use my juicer to make fresh vegies juices, and consume green smoothies.

When you have insurance again, cats are one of the things you can do allergy shots for. I'm doing allergy shots now and I'm excited about really getting to the root of the problem.
sillysapling likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have two cats and I love them to death, but I get severe allergies when they go without a bath for a while. They walk through dust, dirt and develop dander (which most people with cat allergies are allergic to). I bathe them at least once a month to rid them of these. Also, Zyrtec and Mucinex work for the allergy flare ups by relieving my congestion and sneezing. There are also store brands that are cheaper (Walgreens, Krogers, Walmart, etc) and they usually act exactly like the name brands.
sillysapling likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion! I forgot that I had hypo-allergenic cats as a kid and if they went too long without a bath, they started aggravating my mom's allergies. I think we'll definitely need to do regular baths.

#5 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
One thing that helps me is to have my bedroom completely pet free and keep it super clean. That gives me an 8 hour break at night.

That is what helped my DH with our cats. He also vacuums the house at least every other day. This isn't particularly attractive, but we also put sheets over the soft furniture during the day or when we are out, take them off when we use the living room, then throw those in the wash regularly. Our dog is non-shedding
sillysapling likes this.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 6 Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I do think part of the problem is vaccuuming. While we were getting adjusted to me working, things like vacuuming got kind of ignored. We're going to work harder on keeping the house clean now, so that should help. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page