Why some vaccines cost $5+ while others $70+? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-25-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question Why some vaccines cost $5+ while others $70+?

Since there is no ingredient list provided for dogs vaccines, I was wondering why some of them could cost $5-$10 while others that prevent from the same diseases can easily cost over $70? Since I know how to do injections (both subcutaneous and intramuscular), I was thinking to be purchasing vaccines online with our new puppy and inject them myself, so that we can avoid a vet's office for a while (and all the infections that are usually picked by puppies at a vet's office). But I have a huge dilemma as to what vaccines to buy since their price can so dramatically differ from one another. The breeder I will be getting the puppy from gave me this website (this is something he uses for many of his needs)http://www.revivalanimal.com/

I looked at the website and once again there are vaccines that cost $70 and ones that cost $5. Why??? Does anybody know? Advise me, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-25-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I called a local feed/farm store earlier today and they said they have the 5-in-1 (what seems to be the standard now) vaccine for dogs for $12. I could definitely stop by the store and read the ingredients (hopefully they are listed on the vaccine itself), but then again, they do not carry a more expensive version of the vaccine to compare it to ingredients-wise.
#3 of 12 Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Perhaps you could contact Dr Jean Dodds and ask for the 'best' ie least reactive vaccines. I didn't think you were planning on doing the 5 in 1.

This article might be of help too.

You also might find some good info in this blog, Truth4Dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Humanity is a species endangered by its beliefs, and most of all, its religious illusion of superiority.. ~ John Lamb Lash
#4 of 12 Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post
Perhaps you could contact Dr Jean Dodds and ask for the 'best' ie least reactive vaccines. I didn't think you were planning on doing the 5 in 1.

This article might be of help too.

You also might find some good info in this blog, Truth4Dogs.
I wasn't planning on doing 5 in one. I REALLY was hoping to find a combo of parvo/distemper/adenovirus, since I felt concerned to inject them separately (due to double dose of preservatives and all other "goodies" in vaccines". Unfortunately, every store I called only had 5 in one. I am a bit concerned ordering vaccines online since they need to be stored at a certain low and fairly consistent temperature and I am not sure that it is very doable during shipping process. So perhaps I will have to go with 5 in one after all . Furthermore, the puppy will be vaccinated by the breeder with 5 in 1 once she is 8 weeks old (nothing I can do about it). At least this breeder does not vaccinate before 8 weeks...many breeders would give you an 8weeks pup with two-three sets of shots (many are useless) and would not be flexible about it .
#5 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Here is a holistic vet that does house calls in Northern Co, East West Veterinary House Calls. I have no idea what her philosophy on vaccines are, but it might be worth contacting her and asking if she could get the vaccines of your choice and if she could administer them at home for you.

I don't know how 'vaccinated' you want Kira to be, but Dr Schultz believes in "one and done" if the vaccines are given after 16 weeks, so you could hold off until them to get the next set when her immune system is much more developed. Just a suggestion, as if I were vaxxing this is what I would do.

Humanity is a species endangered by its beliefs, and most of all, its religious illusion of superiority.. ~ John Lamb Lash
#6 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is a holistic vet that does house calls in Northern Co, East West Veterinary House Calls. I have no idea what her philosophy on vaccines are, but it might be worth contacting her and asking if she could get the vaccines of your choice and if she could administer them at home for you.

I don't know how 'vaccinated' you want Kira to be, but Dr Schultz believes in "one and done" if the vaccines are given after 16 weeks, so you could hold off until them to get the next set when her immune system is much more developed. Just a suggestion, as if I were vaxxing this is what I would do.
Taking about what I want, of course I want her to be 100% vaccine free! But at the same time, given my background and experience with parvo/distemper/adenovirus, I feel like it could potentially put a pup in a grave danger if she is unvaccinated. I mean, no matter how much I am against vaccines and would never consider them for my kids or myself under normal circumstances, if we were to live in an area where contracting a 50+% fatal disease would be a very real possibility and we could not leave that area, I would most definitely seriously considered getting a vaccine (if there was a vaccine proven to be effective against that disease). I am not religious in any way or about anything; no matter how strongly I believe in something I still always try to keep my mind open to other possibilities and to being proven wrong. So it is always about searching for the right decision at that very moment for me. Having said that, since everyone seems to believe that a gap between canine vaccines should not exceed 4 weeks (otherwise it is supposed to be a waste?), I thought of maybe having to vaccinate her at 12 weeks, then 16 weeks and then 1 year? I want to delay rabies vaccine until after a year of age. As for 5 in 1...I will definitely call the vet. But honestly, I still am very unsure whether it would be safer to expose her to a vet/vet office that definitely DOES carry all those infections in order to vaccinate her with a different vaccine or to buy the 5 in 1 combo and vaccinate her myself at home, in a completely stress free (and bad germs free) environment. I would imagine that a vaccine would have the same amount of preservatives in it, be it 2 in 1, 3 in 1 or 5 in 1 and in the end, that is the most of concern for me anyway. So I definitely need to brainstorm and research more about it. Do you think the immunity from 8 weeks shot will not wear off if I let her go 8-10 weeks till the next shot? I don't know, I am VERY torn. I am not open to not vaccinating at all (for the reasons and previous experiences I explained in my other thread), but at the same time I do want to find some balanced and not one-sided suggestions and information. (it is funny I use this "not one-sided" language now in the context of dog vaccines, usually it annoys the heck out of me when some parents use this expression in the context of children vaccines or male genital cutting. Makes me want to scream at them: "there is NO other side to it, it is just plain horrible all around!". now I am using it myself in the context of dogs vaccines )
#7 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 04:16 PM

If she were mine, and I believed that vaccines work as advertised, I would have the breeder do the 8 week 5 in 1 and then wait until 16 weeks and get parvo and distemper. If you are concerned, for the eight weeks you have her before you vax you can be cautious about having her around recently vaccinated ones and obviously sick dogs. Take her out and about with you in the car etc, but carry her, don't put her down directly on the pavement, if you are, for example, sitting outside at a coffee shop, put newspaper down for her to lie or sit on. Walk her in your driveway, have people come over to help with the socialization. As she gets older I would gradually expose her to more stuff, even before vaccination. If you haven't already, I highly recommend joining the aunaturelk9s yahoo list. The people on there are very knowledgeable on how to socialize unvaccinated puppies, several natural rearing breeders are members who do it all the time.

As for immunity from the 8 week shot, I am not even sure it provides immunity in the first place because of maternal antibodies. You need to read what Dr Schultz says on puppy shots, I can't remember off hand.

#8 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM

Oh, I have had another thought, homeopathic nosodes. You might want to do those between 8 and 16 weeks to augment the immune response. I think there is a homeopathic vet in Wheatridge. Let me look..... Found them! http://www.holisticcareforanimals.com/index.html

ETA: you could always work with someone from a distance because I am not sure how competent this vet is.

#9 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are concerned...you can be cautious about having her around recently vaccinated ones and obviously sick dogs. Take her out and about with you in the car etc, but carry her, don't put her down directly on the pavement, if you are, for example, sitting outside at a coffee shop, put newspaper down for her to lie or sit on. Walk her in your driveway, have people come over to help with the socialization. As she gets older I would gradually expose her to more stuff, even before vaccination.
Yes, this is exactly what I am planning on doing anyway (caring her outdoor a lot, etc), vaccines or no vaccines till she is a bit older and her immune system is stronger.
#10 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If she were mine, and I believed that vaccines work as advertised, I would have the breeder do the 8 week 5 in 1 and then wait until 16 weeks and get parvo and distemper.
I might just do that, actually. Do you think spacing the shots 8 weeks instead of four will not affect over all effectiveness of the shots?
#11 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, I have had another thought, homeopathic nosodes. You might want to do those between 8 and 16 weeks to augment the immune response. I think there is a homeopathic vet in Wheatridge. Let me look..... Found them! http://www.holisticcareforanimals.com/index.html

ETA: you could always work with someone from a distance because I am not sure how competent this vet is.
Thank you so much!!! I probably will do just that! What a relief to know I don't need to deal with vaccinating her for the first 8 weeks after getting her! I am in Wheat Ridge almost every day, as my kids go to a Waldorf Charter school there and their gymnastics is there too.
#12 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mirzam, just wanted to thank you so much again for all your help and knowledge sharing and support! I feel so relieved about skipping that 12 weeks shot and doing the homeopathic drops instead. I will definitely call and probably stop by the Wheat Ridge place on Monday.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page