PLEASE HELP!! My puppy is dying! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiamom
Sorry guys i was just trying to hold him as long as he would let me and be really still. Everytime i move he grunts and makes tiny whimpers. i'm not sure how he's doing. Sometimes he's just lifeless and its hard to tell if he's breathing, and he just stares. Then he'll muster up enough energy and change positions or walk a couple feet. But you can tell he's really really weak. I think i've cried all the tears i have. And i'm so exhausted i cant think straight. honestly im not sure he'll make it much longer. there's been so much blood and he's so skinny looking now. he refuses anything to eat and when i give him his meds he doesnt even try to fight me or lick it up. Somestimes i can hear him swallow, sometimes it just runs out of his mouth. I'm not sure what else to say, i'm tired.....but i'll update you if anything changes.
please call the Vet....

oh Mama - crying big tears with you.........

ugh....

see if you want to try 1 last ditch effort & have fluids via IV for him.... he might turn around... it's like a baby dehydrating..
he may need some help..

Sadly. if Tate is not gonna turn around, maybe he should not suffer - OH sh!t... it pains me to say that cuz I always think there is hope...

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#92 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I know, i hate thinking that too. I know this poor little baby is in so much pain, and i really dont think he's dehydrated (not showing typical signs of it) so i'm not sure how much the sub-q iv will help. I dont know what would be best, but I think my instincts will tell me when enough is enough or there's no hope in saving him. Right now its just killing me knowing he's suffering and there's nothing i can do.
He's not even pooping anymore, just bleeding wherever he lays.
I've never had to put an animal to sleep, and i hope i dont have to do it today.
#93 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 10:17 AM

big hugs from one doggie lover to another.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#94 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiamom
I know, i hate thinking that too. I know this poor little baby is in so much pain, and i really dont think he's dehydrated (not showing typical signs of it) so i'm not sure how much the sub-q iv will help. I dont know what would be best, but I think my instincts will tell me when enough is enough or there's no hope in saving him. Right now its just killing me knowing he's suffering and there's nothing i can do.
He's not even pooping anymore, just bleeding wherever he lays.
I've never had to put an animal to sleep, and i hope i dont have to do it today.
(((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
maybe if he's suffering that much......
He's just bleeding.....

please call the Vet & let him know what's going on
Poor Tate.... Poor Gaiamom

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#95 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 10:38 AM

I've been thinking about you and your puppy a lot. I hope things get better, or at least that he doesn't suffer too much.
#96 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#97 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Please take the puppy to another vet.

Please.
#98 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 11:10 AM

:
#99 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 AM

So heartwrenching.
#100 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM

I've been thinking of you and Tate. I'm also thinking of his littermate, and all the millions of innocent creatures who suffer and die alone, frightened, in shelters and on the streets, or in horrible homes and back yards. Tate is so fortunate to have you. Even if he passes away today, he'll do it in the safety and warmth of your arms. The poor little baby was taken away from his mother too, too early, but he'll have you now, whether he makes it or not. Maybe that's why you were sent to him, to help ease his suffering. Poor little guy.
#101 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 12:23 PM

thinking of you

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#102 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 12:24 PM

#103 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 01:03 PM

s I am hoping for a miracle for little Tate.
#104 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 01:35 PM

OMG he is adorable! Hugs to you please let us know how he is doing and what the vet says
#105 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 01:37 PM

I'm sending prayers for your pup
#106 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 01:43 PM

#107 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 01:43 PM

I'm so sorry, I had finally managed to fall asleep and dh for once didn't wake me inform me the baby needed me.
It doesn't sound good, if he's bleeding whereever he lays. Like Polka I don't want to say there's no hope as I've seen dogs in that kind of shape all of a sudden turn around. He's likely not actually in pain, just super tired. Parvo should't be causing anything more serious that a tummy ache. The moaning is most likely from the exhaustion.
I know I'm late this morning, but did you talk to the vet yet? How's he looking right now?

You did more for him in 2 days than anyone had ever done for him in his short life.
#108 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:41 PM

any update?

#109 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back from the vet...A different vet! This is the place where we always take our other dog and cat and they are wonderful, but the vet was gone yesterday, hence the reason i had to go elsewhere.
I called as soon as they opened and the dr. told me to get him there immediately. He was so weak and pitiful but i kept just holding him and encouraging him...he even stood up in my lap on the way and wagged his tail
When i got there she immediately took him back and started him on IV, cath, and antibiotic shots and meds. She came out and talked to me for a long time despite a waiting room full of people with appointments. She congratulated me for keeping him so well hydrated and said that has absolutely saved him thus far. She said that the best we can do at this point is to do everything we can support his immune system and prevent him from bacterial infections and other junk, try to keep him nutritionally stable as she put, and hope the parvo will run its course and he'll survive it. This however is going to cost A LOT. She said her reccomendation was to be aggressively supportive as possible and if he shows improvement within the next 24 hrs, i might can bring him home for homecare. If there is no improvement, she suggest putting him to sleep so as not to prolong all this if he's not going to make it. She was Pissed that the dr. yesterday didnt do all of this then.
So he's there now hopefully getting losts of attention and meds/fluids. I'm just praying for the best outcome for him.
My biggest concern is that he will think i've abandoned him, and give up. I really do feel like my love and care sustained him through the night, and i'm worried about him being there alone
#110 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:41 PM

From an old vet book we found cottage cheese is the best thing to give dogs that are sick. We nursed a puppy through parvo with cottage cheese and vet care.
#111 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:47 PM

Gaiamom he was passed from your nuturing hands to another. It sounds like he is going to be well cared for. If you feel so bad, pay a visit!

I am glad to hear this news. He will continue to be in my thoughts.

As I said before you are a gem!

Be strong little tate!
#112 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:49 PM

Gaiamon...
woohoo.
I'm glad you went to a diff Vet.
if convenient, you can go back & leave a t-shirt or something with your scent on it for Tate to smell.

#113 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:49 PM

In regard to the old vet not doing the agressive treatment yesterday........

Maybe Tate needed to be with you in your warm loving home.
#114 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:50 PM

I'm so glad you go him to a vet who's willing to do more aggressive treatment. Although it won't be the same as being held all the time, I'd be willing to bet this vet will give him a lot of loving attention, she sounds very caring. Will you be able to stop in to visit him later?

I hope he does make it, but even if he doesn't, I hope it'll be a comfort to you to know that you truly have done everything possible. You got him through the night with your loving care, probably the only time in his life he's had that kind of love. Tate is a very lucky puppy to have found you.
#115 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 02:51 PM

I'm glad you finally took him to another vet and he is getting good care.
#116 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 03:28 PM

Please keep us updated

#117 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Erica, last night he needed your constant love and support, if he'd been left in a clinic last night, I'd bet anything he'd have died, now he knows how much someone loves him and now he's got something to fight for. Your vet is absolutely right, without your sitting up and cuddling him all night, he wouldn't have made it. That he stood in your lap and wagged his little tail tells me he knows what he wants now and he's got something to live for--before last night that little guy didn't have a clue how good it could be.
You did it mama, you got him through the night, whatever happens you've shown him so much love and loyalty.
#118 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 05:08 PM

I hope Tate gets better! Hopefully now the IV treatment and antibiotics will help. They may also give him reglan or another medicine to help the vomiting and diarhea. I am really hoping and praying he makes it. The amount of love and devotion you've shown him has been awesome! The world needs more people like you!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#119 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I just got a call from the vet. He hasnt shown any improvement yet, but is stable and comfortable. She said she'll be checking on him lots and giving me regular updates. This is very comforting as i am VERY tired, dileriously tired, and i dont know how much longer i couldve held out. I miss him and i know he's missing me. So i say a prayer for him that i hope he will hear in some form:

Be strong Tate. You have been so brave and courageous. You have a wonderful home here and we love you so much. Hang in there buddy, keep breathing, keep fighting. I know this is so horrible for you, but i promise this will pass...you just have to hang on. Be strong so your sweet little body can beat this nasty virus, i know you can. Be strong so you can come home to me and i can hold you in my arms and love you and kiss you. Be strong so you can grow big and play with dixie. She would love to have you as a friend and i just know you guys will be lifelong companions. I promise this is not the end Tate, I havent abandon you. I PROMISE to come and take you home, you just have to hang on and fight. I miss you and I'm coming to see you tomorrow. I love you Tate, please hang on for mommy and be strong.
#120 of 178 Old 04-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Things sound as though they are looking up, good for you and him

As an aside, I had a pup, fully immunized that somehow (maybe on a walk?) got parvo, it ended up being an all night thing like you (I had no idea what was wrong) took him to the vet, she gave us (this was like 10 years ago I am trying to remember) some pills or something for him to take, he continously vomited them up, anyway the wench sent me home with him (I had 2 other dobies at the time, one a older pup herself and one adult) -after talking to my cousin a vet tech I realized how serious this was and was able to get him in the next day to a different vet; she told us she was not sure he would make it, they did the IVs and all and he stayed a day or two and did make it, problem was I am firmly convinced the other vet knew damn well what was wrong and did not want to be bothered (I guess there is a lot involved and because it is highly contagious, a lot of work to take of them)- well she sent me home and I guess dobies are particularly at risk of succoming to parvo, and my other one (early because I knew it could happen) although immunized ended up with it too and has just hospitalized for day.

For us the expensive price tag was worth it, the adult dobe never did get it.
I was really confused and ask how they could get it when they were immunized and was told it depended on the amount of "particles" they were immunized versus the amount they were exposed to" don't know if that is true or not but that vet that saved both dogs became our vet for the next 10 years and actually it was a truly wonderful office.

I'll be thinking about you guys, sounds like you have done great so far.

:energ y

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page