Mothering Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!! My puppy is dying!

31K views 176 replies 77 participants last post by  Jessica36 
#1 ·
Ok dog people...I need serious help!
Yesterday after an exhaustive search I found a beautiful blue heeler pup at a local animal shelter. He is 6 wks old, male, had 4 of his brothers with him, no shots, vet treatment, nothing. I'm actually considering reporting the shelter because the conditions were awful. I stopped in the middle of looking at the animals and cryed my eyes out...it was just so pitiful. All of the animals were covered in pee and poop as were the floors where we were walking.

So last night he was ok, a little playful but not much. He didnt eat a bite. In the middle of the night he started whimpering and i went in the bathroom, right beside my bed, and there was poop/diarrhea everywhere. So i cleaned it up, got him some new towels and went back to bed. Get up this morning at he has watery/bloody diarrhea and is throwing up. So i call the vet and take him in immediately. As it turns out he has the parasites that cause parvo, but not full-blown parvo, and worms. The vet said with the condition he's in, he probably wont make it through the night
I'm so sad. He said i could leave him at the vet and they could tend to him, or bring him home and do what i could, or put him to sleep. I chose to bring him home and follow the directions the vet gave. 10cc of pedialyte every 45 min, 1cc of immodium every 4 hrs, antibiotics every 12 hrs. As of right now, im just giving him his meds and snuggling him and tell him how strong he his and how much i love him. I just want to cry and go to sleep.
Can some of you dog people please give me some advice. I'm desperate to keep this wonderful puppy alive!!!

See less See more
#106 ·
I'm so sorry, I had finally managed to fall asleep and dh for once didn't wake me inform me the baby needed me.
It doesn't sound good, if he's bleeding whereever he lays. Like Polka I don't want to say there's no hope as I've seen dogs in that kind of shape all of a sudden turn around. He's likely not actually in pain, just super tired. Parvo should't be causing anything more serious that a tummy ache. The moaning is most likely from the exhaustion.
I know I'm late this morning, but did you talk to the vet yet? How's he looking right now?

You did more for him in 2 days than anyone had ever done for him in his short life.

#108 ·
I just got back from the vet...A different vet! This is the place where we always take our other dog and cat and they are wonderful, but the vet was gone yesterday, hence the reason i had to go elsewhere.
I called as soon as they opened and the dr. told me to get him there immediately. He was so weak and pitiful but i kept just holding him and encouraging him...he even stood up in my lap on the way and wagged his tail

When i got there she immediately took him back and started him on IV, cath, and antibiotic shots and meds. She came out and talked to me for a long time despite a waiting room full of people with appointments. She congratulated me for keeping him so well hydrated and said that has absolutely saved him thus far. She said that the best we can do at this point is to do everything we can support his immune system and prevent him from bacterial infections and other junk, try to keep him nutritionally stable as she put, and hope the parvo will run its course and he'll survive it. This however is going to cost A LOT. She said her reccomendation was to be aggressively supportive as possible and if he shows improvement within the next 24 hrs, i might can bring him home for homecare. If there is no improvement, she suggest putting him to sleep so as not to prolong all this if he's not going to make it. She was Pissed that the dr. yesterday didnt do all of this then.
So he's there now hopefully getting losts of attention and meds/fluids. I'm just praying for the best outcome for him.
My biggest concern is that he will think i've abandoned him, and give up. I really do feel like my love and care sustained him through the night, and i'm worried about him being there alone

#113 ·
I'm so glad you go him to a vet who's willing to do more aggressive treatment. Although it won't be the same as being held all the time, I'd be willing to bet this vet will give him a lot of loving attention, she sounds very caring. Will you be able to stop in to visit him later?

I hope he does make it, but even if he doesn't, I hope it'll be a comfort to you to know that you truly have done everything possible. You got him through the night with your loving care, probably the only time in his life he's had that kind of love. Tate is a very lucky puppy to have found you.

#116 ·
Erica, last night he needed your constant love and support, if he'd been left in a clinic last night, I'd bet anything he'd have died, now he knows how much someone loves him and now he's got something to fight for. Your vet is absolutely right, without your sitting up and cuddling him all night, he wouldn't have made it. That he stood in your lap and wagged his little tail tells me he knows what he wants now and he's got something to live for--before last night that little guy didn't have a clue how good it could be.
You did it mama, you got him through the night, whatever happens you've shown him so much love and loyalty.

#117 ·
I hope Tate gets better! Hopefully now the IV treatment and antibiotics will help. They may also give him reglan or another medicine to help the vomiting and diarhea. I am really hoping and praying he makes it. The amount of love and devotion you've shown him has been awesome! The world needs more people like you!

#118 ·
I just got a call from the vet. He hasnt shown any improvement yet, but is stable and comfortable. She said she'll be checking on him lots and giving me regular updates. This is very comforting as i am VERY tired, dileriously tired, and i dont know how much longer i couldve held out. I miss him and i know he's missing me. So i say a prayer for him that i hope he will hear in some form:

Be strong Tate. You have been so brave and courageous. You have a wonderful home here and we love you so much. Hang in there buddy, keep breathing, keep fighting. I know this is so horrible for you, but i promise this will pass...you just have to hang on. Be strong so your sweet little body can beat this nasty virus, i know you can. Be strong so you can come home to me and i can hold you in my arms and love you and kiss you. Be strong so you can grow big and play with dixie. She would love to have you as a friend and i just know you guys will be lifelong companions. I promise this is not the end Tate, I havent abandon you. I PROMISE to come and take you home, you just have to hang on and fight. I miss you and I'm coming to see you tomorrow. I love you Tate, please hang on for mommy and be strong.

#119 ·
Things sound as though they are looking up, good for you and him

As an aside, I had a pup, fully immunized that somehow (maybe on a walk?) got parvo, it ended up being an all night thing like you (I had no idea what was wrong) took him to the vet, she gave us (this was like 10 years ago I am trying to remember) some pills or something for him to take, he continously vomited them up, anyway the wench sent me home with him (I had 2 other dobies at the time, one a older pup herself and one adult) -after talking to my cousin a vet tech I realized how serious this was and was able to get him in the next day to a different vet; she told us she was not sure he would make it, they did the IVs and all and he stayed a day or two and did make it, problem was I am firmly convinced the other vet knew damn well what was wrong and did not want to be bothered (I guess there is a lot involved and because it is highly contagious, a lot of work to take of them)- well she sent me home and I guess dobies are particularly at risk of succoming to parvo, and my other one (early because I knew it could happen) although immunized ended up with it too and has just hospitalized for day.

For us the expensive price tag was worth it, the adult dobe never did get it.
I was really confused and ask how they could get it when they were immunized and was told it depended on the amount of "particles" they were immunized versus the amount they were exposed to" don't know if that is true or not but that vet that saved both dogs became our vet for the next 10 years and actually it was a truly wonderful office.

I'll be thinking about you guys, sounds like you have done great so far.

#120 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaiamom
I just got back from the vet...A different vet! This is the place where we always take our other dog and cat and they are wonderful, but the vet was gone yesterday, hence the reason i had to go elsewhere.
I called as soon as they opened and the dr. told me to get him there immediately. He was so weak and pitiful but i kept just holding him and encouraging him...he even stood up in my lap on the way and wagged his tail

When i got there she immediately took him back and started him on IV, cath, and antibiotic shots and meds. She came out and talked to me for a long time despite a waiting room full of people with appointments. She congratulated me for keeping him so well hydrated and said that has absolutely saved him thus far. She said that the best we can do at this point is to do everything we can support his immune system and prevent him from bacterial infections and other junk, try to keep him nutritionally stable as she put, and hope the parvo will run its course and he'll survive it. This however is going to cost A LOT. She said her reccomendation was to be aggressively supportive as possible and if he shows improvement within the next 24 hrs, i might can bring him home for homecare. If there is no improvement, she suggest putting him to sleep so as not to prolong all this if he's not going to make it. She was Pissed that the dr. yesterday didnt do all of this then.
So he's there now hopefully getting losts of attention and meds/fluids. I'm just praying for the best outcome for him.
My biggest concern is that he will think i've abandoned him, and give up. I really do feel like my love and care sustained him through the night, and i'm worried about him being there alone

Can you get some rest and then go back and sit with him for a bit? Are you going to bring him home tonight? Bless you, really! You've done an amazing thing for this little guy and I hope that his shelter mates can find someone as amazing as you too!

#121 ·
There are a number of different strains of parvo, the vaccines are comprised of a combination of 3 strains (at least ours in Canada are) So yes, if the puppy gets a strain that isn't dominant in the vaccine he can get a fairly mild case or sometimes they get a stain that isn't represented in the vaccine at all and they can get very sick. We vaccinate for the strains seen 90% of the time though, so most vaccinated dog's are fairly well protected.

#123 ·
Yeah i'm about to go lay down a bit...havent slept yet. But the vet closed at 1pm, with the vet leaving the weekend staff with him. Hopefully she'll call me back tonight and I'll be able to arrange a weekend visit even though they arent open. I wish i could bring him home but i really do think he's in the best care possible and i'm glad they have a staff that stays/rotates and he wont be alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.