Mothering Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!! My puppy is dying!

31K views 176 replies 77 participants last post by  Jessica36 
#1 ·
Ok dog people...I need serious help!
Yesterday after an exhaustive search I found a beautiful blue heeler pup at a local animal shelter. He is 6 wks old, male, had 4 of his brothers with him, no shots, vet treatment, nothing. I'm actually considering reporting the shelter because the conditions were awful. I stopped in the middle of looking at the animals and cryed my eyes out...it was just so pitiful. All of the animals were covered in pee and poop as were the floors where we were walking.

So last night he was ok, a little playful but not much. He didnt eat a bite. In the middle of the night he started whimpering and i went in the bathroom, right beside my bed, and there was poop/diarrhea everywhere. So i cleaned it up, got him some new towels and went back to bed. Get up this morning at he has watery/bloody diarrhea and is throwing up. So i call the vet and take him in immediately. As it turns out he has the parasites that cause parvo, but not full-blown parvo, and worms. The vet said with the condition he's in, he probably wont make it through the night
I'm so sad. He said i could leave him at the vet and they could tend to him, or bring him home and do what i could, or put him to sleep. I chose to bring him home and follow the directions the vet gave. 10cc of pedialyte every 45 min, 1cc of immodium every 4 hrs, antibiotics every 12 hrs. As of right now, im just giving him his meds and snuggling him and tell him how strong he his and how much i love him. I just want to cry and go to sleep.
Can some of you dog people please give me some advice. I'm desperate to keep this wonderful puppy alive!!!

See less See more
#131 ·
The poor little baby. You did the best you could for him, and you gave him the most comfort he had in his short life, I'm sure. Don't feel bad that he died at the vet's, instead of your home. You were doing what you thought would save his life. He's with his littermates, now. Poor little thing.

#134 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaiamom
The vet just called and said Tate had passed away a couple minutes ago. That's really all i can say at this point, i'm just too upset. Thank you mama's for your love and support.

:

Tate is now at the RAINBOW BRIDGE

He now frolics with the Angels & has no more pain.
RIP, sweet Tate

Please know that you did everything in your power to keep him going.

At least he passed know that he was loved..

oh crap... I fell your pain so much.. i gotta go...
l

#144 ·
Thank you all so much. This is the second animal we've lost in a week. First our beloved kitty, Rasta, whom we had since he was born 6 yrs ago....He was the best cat in the world and we miss him terribly. Now Tate. I'm just so upset that he had to die at the vet instead of here at home in my arms. I know i did everything i could and i'm so glad i had the opportunity to love him, and that he didnt die without knowing what a home was like, or love from a family. Even though i'm in so much pain right now, i cant stop crying...i would do it again in a heartbeat. We are going to pick him up in the morning and bring him home for a loving memorial in our backyard.
Dixie, our rhodesian ridgeback rescue, has been so sweet. She's huge but keeps insisting on climbing in my lap to lick away my tears. I know she feels my sadness and is trying to comfort me...and she does.
The support here has been soooo overwhelming in a wonderful way. Pat yourselves on the back mama's, you had a part in tate's life too. You guys sustained me last night as i was fighting to keep him alive and i've read your words of encouragement over and over. Thank you for helping to give this little guy a chance and for loving him with me. I truly do love you all.

#145 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaiamom
Thank you for helping to give this little guy a chance and for loving him with me. I truly do love you all.
As we do you, mama....I'm sooo sorry for the incredible losses you've experienced over the last week ~ a pain that I imagine to be beyond measure
I'm sooo glad you took pictues of Tate, you will treasure them, I'm sure.

I need to tell you this again ~ you are an *angel*. What you did for Tate went above & beyond the call of duty. The world would be a better place if more souls such as yourself walked among us.

Thinking of you,

Michelle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.