Mothering Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!! My puppy is dying!

31K views 176 replies 77 participants last post by  Jessica36 
#1 ·
Ok dog people...I need serious help!
Yesterday after an exhaustive search I found a beautiful blue heeler pup at a local animal shelter. He is 6 wks old, male, had 4 of his brothers with him, no shots, vet treatment, nothing. I'm actually considering reporting the shelter because the conditions were awful. I stopped in the middle of looking at the animals and cryed my eyes out...it was just so pitiful. All of the animals were covered in pee and poop as were the floors where we were walking.

So last night he was ok, a little playful but not much. He didnt eat a bite. In the middle of the night he started whimpering and i went in the bathroom, right beside my bed, and there was poop/diarrhea everywhere. So i cleaned it up, got him some new towels and went back to bed. Get up this morning at he has watery/bloody diarrhea and is throwing up. So i call the vet and take him in immediately. As it turns out he has the parasites that cause parvo, but not full-blown parvo, and worms. The vet said with the condition he's in, he probably wont make it through the night
I'm so sad. He said i could leave him at the vet and they could tend to him, or bring him home and do what i could, or put him to sleep. I chose to bring him home and follow the directions the vet gave. 10cc of pedialyte every 45 min, 1cc of immodium every 4 hrs, antibiotics every 12 hrs. As of right now, im just giving him his meds and snuggling him and tell him how strong he his and how much i love him. I just want to cry and go to sleep.
Can some of you dog people please give me some advice. I'm desperate to keep this wonderful puppy alive!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
OMG! Thank you so much for bringing him home. You should report the shelter... to someone!

Do what the vet told you too. Keep the puppy warm. Love does wonders for growing and saving life... so love him constantly now. I've seen many sick parvo pups survive...so it's possible. Also, you may want to make an emergency call to a University w/ a teaching vet program. When in Colorado we were spoiled to have The University in Ft. Collins available... one of the best teaching vet schools in the country... in Boston there's Tufts. Check w/ your vet and they should be able to provide the information... it doesn't hurt to get a really good second opinon. Or even just verbal advice/ideas over the phone.

I gave my sisters' dog stored breastmilk (I had freezers of the stuff) when he was going thru chemo... I don't know if it helped him stay strong... but he lived a LONG time during chemo and w/ relapses.

Good luck mama. My heart goes out to you so much.

#4 ·
I have only known on e pup who survived parvo. my friend's dog (also from an anilmal shelter) had it and was taken care of by the vet with IV liquids and I don't know what else. She did survive.
Good luck, mama. I had a pup die of parvo when I was younger. It is a very debilitating illness.

#5 ·
In terms of feeding him, try feeding the food to him on your fingers. When we first got our dog, he was sick and also anxious, and wouldn't eat. He would eat if we sat there and let him lick the food off our fingers.

Also, our vet said to try feeding him baby food. And that warming up the wet food in the microwave also makes it more appealing to dogs. (Not hot, but warm). These are tricks that also worked for us.

Good luck!

#6 ·
I thought parvo was a virus. Did the vet say a parasite? There is also corona virus that is similar, but not as bad as parvo.

My ex had a tiny dog that survived parvo, but was on an IV at the vet for a couple of days.

I am so sorry...I hope your dog pulls through.

#7 ·
When my Dh and I were dating he had a dog that got parvo. It did survive but it was in really bad shape for about a week. Unfortunately it's a hard disease to beat. He was doing what you are doing only I think it was gatorade instead of pedialyte. Good luck. Hugs to you and your pup.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by edamommy
I gave my sisters' dog stored breastmilk (I had freezers of the stuff) when he was going thru chemo... I don't know if it helped him stay strong... but he lived a LONG time during chemo and w/ relapses.

Can i admit here, without sounding like a loon, that i've really considered nursing him
:

He's sitting up now and is actually awake for the first time today. Im really hoping that's a good sign. I'm also wondering if i should put him in my sling for some good skin to fur contact
I know it does wonders for sick babies. Or if that would be too much on his stomach with the vomiting and all.
What do you guys think?

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by armonia
I thought parvo was a virus. Did the vet say a parasite? There is also corona virus that is similar, but not as bad as parvo.

My ex had a tiny dog that survived parvo, but was on an IV at the vet for a couple of days.

I am so sorry...I hope your dog pulls through.
You know, honestly, maybe i'm mistaken about that. I was crying so much it was hard to hear what he was saying. Luckily, he wrote lots of instructions down for me.

And as far as leaving him at the vet...i really think him being at home with constant through the night attention would be better....not to mention the love.

#10 ·
oh my

hmmm, i'm surprised the Vet did not want iv fluids? or did they
typing 1-handed

parvo is really nasty in some breeds' pups...

g-d, i;m so worried for u i can barely type....

keep him hydrated at all costs...
yes keep him snuggled in a sling if you want but i'd put some 'sposies in the sling case he poops in your sling... sometime chicken broth can help

try the b/milk also

everyone that touched pup needs to wash hands & make sure no one has infected poop on shoes. clothing, eyc

:

#11 ·
thank you polka! the vet said....you know, you can contact the shelter and demand they give you another pup and take this one back
: I think he was pretty much hopeless that my pup could pull through.

I said...Uh, hell no! This is MY puppy and I know i can help him, even if its to give him some love in his passing. I just feel so bad for him, i'm sqawling my eyes out. I dont want him to be sick or be in pain. He's so small and fragile and i want to make him comfortable and give him all the healing vibes i can muster.
I know this may seem silly to some of you, but please pray/send blessings of healing/ strength to my puppy

#12 ·
I'm going to third or fourth the breastmilk, but probably from a eyedropper, if you can pump or express some.

I had a kitten that was near death and wasn't supposed to last the night. I gave her a tsp of breastmilk every 30 minutes and she survived and ended up being a great cat.

#13 ·
aaawwwwwwwww, sweetie

I'm crying with ya.... make up smearing as we type

when you can REPORT that place !

find out if its a Gov't shelter or a private - run - donations thing
either way.. find out who the director of the place is & notify them

then after that. write a letter to your local paper telling yor story & the condition

1st tho' is puppers health...
keep bumping this up so the other dog folf will see this..
maybe pm shannon0218 & see if she has parvo experience...
I do not..

can you call another vet & ask them ?s
that vet seems kinds cold

keep us updated & i'll keep checking back
so did thr vet say is was parvo?

:
:
:

#14 ·
Yes i was hopping shannon would be around.
What he said if i remember correctly through the sobs, was...its not full blown parvo but its the parasite? that causes it, and could develop into that within the next 12-24 hrs. I think having just got him last night, he was assuming i would be more bummed about getting a sick pet. Otherwise he was very sympathetic, even gave me his home phone and wanted me to call him in the morning and said he would come into the office if the pup was getting worse.

The shelter is a city animal control facility. I know theyre short on funding and doing something is better than nothing, but still....the conditions were cruelty to say the least.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaiamom
The shelter is a city animal control facility. I know theyre short on funding and doing something is better than nothing, but still....the conditions were cruelty to say the least.
ooh. that's the better scenario as far as complaining !

PM shannon

ok, i'm glad you vet was more kind

hows pup?

#16 ·
I have very little experience with parvo unfortunately. I'd seriously give him breastmilk too! I know that fluids are very important. Did the vet give him any subcutaneous fluids (under he skin)?

I think carrying him in a sling is a great idea. Keep him warm and close to you. I hope he makes it! Keep us updated!!!

#17 ·
Sorry if this is TMI, but he's moving around for just a min. then sleeping for 30. He's thrown up 4x today, 3 of which after the meds, and bloody diarrhea 2x. I just felt and his nose is wet, but he's still very lathargic and pitiful looking.

My moms dog died of parvo, and right toward the end it was constant throwing up and diarrhea so i'm thinking even if he's not feeling well, the fact that he hasnt had "that much" throwing up and diarrhea is a good sign. I'm loving him right now in my lap.

I did try to nurse him, as i couldnt express more than a couple drops, and he wasnt interested. I know that may sound crazy to some....like the woman on the news nursing the monkey, but i'm willing to do anything at this point.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer
I have very little experience with parvo unfortunately. I'd seriously give him breastmilk too! I know that fluids are very important. Did the vet give him any subcutaneous fluids (under he skin)?

I think carrying him in a sling is a great idea. Keep him warm and close to you. I hope he makes it! Keep us updated!!!

If he's not drinking you can even give him the subq's at home... call and ask your vet if he'll give you the bags. Fluid can do wonders sometimes.

#21 ·
Quote:

Sorry if this is TMI, but he's moving around for just a min. then sleeping for 30. He's thrown up 4x today, 3 of which after the meds, and bloody diarrhea 2x. I just felt and his nose is wet, but he's still very lathargic and pitiful looking.

My moms dog died of parvo, and right toward the end it was constant throwing up and diarrhea so i'm thinking even if he's not feeling well, the fact that he hasnt had "that much" throwing up and diarrhea is a good sign. I'm loving him right now in my lap.

I did try to nurse him, as i couldnt express more than a couple drops, and he wasnt interested. I know that may sound crazy to some....like the woman on the news nursing the monkey, but i'm willing to do anything at this point.
can you pump or hand express more milk? None in storage? Yah, I don't think that a pup would catch on to nursing from a human breast.

#23 ·
Quote:

They are already closed, but if he's doing worse by in the morning, i'll call the dr. and ask him to come in and let me take the bags home. That's a great idea, thanks!

wait, I thought he gave you his cell or home #?
did I read right?

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by edamommy
can you pump or hand express more milk? None in storage? Yah, I don't think that a pup would catch on to nursing from a human breast.

I've tried but havent been able to get more than a couple drops

The reason i tried to nurse him is because when my dd got up in my lap to nurse last night he tried to nurse too, but she kept pushing him away.

BTW, he's been at the shelter since he was 2 wks old so i'm sure they had to bottle feed him or something. Poor pup has been through so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.