OMG!! What has DH Done!!!??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Pets > OMG!! What has DH Done!!!???
PuppyFluffer's Avatar PuppyFluffer 11:30 PM 05-02-2005
I read the thread title and knew that I would see a picture of a new puppy!

What do the kids think about Buster? While I completely believe your feelings matter and are very important....you may just be outvoted!

I hope Buster grows to be a loving member of your family!

luv2*b*mom's Avatar luv2*b*mom 11:53 PM 05-02-2005
omg that is the cutest dog ever!!!
GoodWillHunter's Avatar GoodWillHunter 12:27 PM 05-03-2005
Awww, he's soooo cuuuuutttttttte.
Breathless Wonder's Avatar Breathless Wonder 12:47 PM 05-03-2005
gaiamom-
I wish you the very best of luck with him. He is a real cutie.
Avonlea's Avatar Avonlea 01:20 PM 05-03-2005
I have a question, how safe is it to bring a new puppy into the home so soon after there was a parvo-infection in it ? Has this puppy had any shots yet ? I would be worried about him somehow contracting parvo there .

I know your dh meant well, but I would be upset as well. I had a very beloved dog many years ago, and no other dog has ever taken her place in my heart.
stirringleaf's Avatar stirringleaf 01:39 PM 05-03-2005
as a mother who had trouble bonding with her human baby, i just wanted to say that its ok if you dont fully bond with this doggie right away. if you treat him with kindness and care, the puppy wont really know the difference right now. to him that's love. give yourself time to grieve. grief doesnt operate on a timeline---everyone processes things so differently---your DH could have shown up with buster a month from now and you may have still felt it was too early, and would have been shocked. its hard no matter what.

sometimes love that builds slowly can be very strong. and i think love is more than a feeling anyway, its actions , too, and i know you will treat that puppy with love.

i still miss my dog that died 3 years ago. i read the other thread about your sick puppy, and i am just very sorry you had to go through that

(and as for my son, he is 3 now and just stopped nursing like a week ago. we have a really strong attachment that means alot to me after what i went through when he was born.)
shannon0218's Avatar shannon0218 01:57 PM 05-03-2005
he's a bute, no doubt about it
It could be worse, my neighbor (a farmer) had an old shepherd who went with her everywhere. Chuck was a permanent fixture in the passenger seat of her big dooly truck (as in, if any human needed a ride, they sat in the back seat). I was there the night Chuck died, the vet was on the way but delayed with a horse in foal and I went over to start an IV on the vet's advice and see if that helped (he was in renal failure) There were tears all round and her husband "forbid" her getting a new pup because he never wanted to see her in such pain from loosing a dog again. As common as getting a new pup quick is, the attitude of "I just can't ever go through that pain again" is just as common and in my opinion the wrong approach-anyone who can love a dog as much as my neighbor, as much as me, as much as you, needs to have a dog by her side.
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 02:20 PM 05-03-2005
I just remembered that the vet told us there was some kind of cleaner that kills parvo virus. it's what some vets usein their offices when a dog dies from parvo. it's stronger than bleach, I"m not sure if you are comfortable using something that strong, (it's kind of expensive too i think) but it might help since you have a new puppy in the house now. You could do a search on google. Of course you could be fine with bleach. I just wanted to give another option in case that would help you feel better. Dont feel rushed into loving this new pup, i'm sure you'll do fine.
shannon0218's Avatar shannon0218 02:35 PM 05-03-2005
Yes, Quatsyl and Viakem both kill parvo
Rollermommy's Avatar Rollermommy 03:52 PM 05-03-2005
Well I just got back a couple of hours ago from the vet with Buster. I got his 2nd set of shots and talked with the vet for a long time about my concerns. I told all the things i'd done, as far as cleaning, and he said that should be more than enough. He also said that since the mother was well taken care of and vaccinated that she would also pass some of that immunity onto her pups. With all the cleaning i've done, buster having had 2 sets of shots....I really do think he'll be fine. The other vet in the office, the one who took care of Tate this weekend, even came in on her way to town to see Buster and second the opinion that he should be fine

I am really warming up to him .....despite another night of no sleep He's so sweet and affectionate.
willowsmom's Avatar willowsmom 04:26 PM 05-03-2005
Gaiamom...I'm so happy that he's healthy and will continue to be so. I have a candle lit for you and Buster. And I'm willing to bet that the thought of this all makes Tate's tail wag.

Keep us posted!
Much love and light and healing,
Jenn
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 09:20 PM 05-04-2005
i'm so happy for you! i know you'll come to love that pup with all your heart. I"m glad he's healthy and that the vet is positive about him not getting sick. I will continue to send good thoughts. Definitely keep us posted on how it's going with the new pup.
rainbowmoon's Avatar rainbowmoon 09:26 PM 05-04-2005
awww what a cutie!

fwiw I was told to use bleach when they thought my puppy had parvo.
HappiLeigh's Avatar HappiLeigh 11:15 PM 05-04-2005
Gaiamom, so sorry to hear about Tate!
When we lost a pet a couple years ago, DH also rushed in immediately with New-Furry-Friend-to-Make-Things-Better, and I was also very skeptical. Of course, as everyone has already said, you can't ever replace a pet, but here's how I looked at it: Loss and grief is going to happen *anyway*, but new adorable baby pet with sweet eyes and expressive tail certainly helped remind me of how birth and death are always connected and gave me something to do while being sad. Caring for new pet instead of just focusing on my pet-related sadness was probably a good thing for me.
Hope it works out okay for you and Buster!
Rollermommy's Avatar Rollermommy 11:34 PM 05-04-2005
You are so right! I would have still been consumed with Tate, going back over things i did, what else i couldve done. But as of now, i dont have time between the chasing Buster around and keeping him out of mischief I go out several time a day to Tates grave and I think of him often, but not in that horribly sad kinda place. Buster has turned out to be really good for me. He is SOOOOO sweet and has really taken to me and wants to be with me all the time I am falling in love with him more everyday.
willowsmom's Avatar willowsmom 12:05 AM 05-05-2005
I'm very happy for you and Buster.

Much love!!
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 11:57 PM 05-11-2005
I wuold love to see more pics of Buster. He is so gorgeous! I"m glad everything's going well for you two.
1  2

Up