German Shepherds should not be shaved!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
So, our younger dog Bedlam has been an extreme shedder since she was ill just before the baby was born (ill as in not likely to survive) Her immune system has just not been up to par and right now I just don't have the time and energy to really concentrate on the dog's immune system.
We have invisible fencing here and I guess we had a wire break we weren't aware of. The dogs generally have access to a small pond, but not the big swamp (but what dog doesn't love a good swamp???)
Anyway, I kept commenting this weekend that they stunk a lot for just being in the pond--sure enough, we follow them and they both headed to the swamp. So yesterday we fix the wire break and bath the dogs--well, Bedlam's skin is red and starting to get pussy--everywhere--not just a few hot spots, but her whole damn body!!! I take her temp and sure enough she has a nasty fever. So, in my post partum, sick of dog fur, how the hell do you treat a hot spot that covers the entire dog state, I decided to shave her down. :

Problem is that a black sable is very dark on the outside, but underneath she's very light beige, with a black stripe down her back and her belly. She looks so funny I can't look at her without busting a gut. She seems perfectly happy with it, when I let her off the grooming table she went flying across the yard to the pond and dove in and swam around for 1/2 an hour. Her skin already looks better than it did last night, but I'm still going to have to put her on antibiotics for this.

It's just never good when the doggie professional owns the most ridiculous looking dog anyone has ever seen--she's certainly not looking like a proud German Shepherd right about now. : :
#2 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Kona has that thick short Akita fur...he sheds year round...one year we thought we'd shave him...because...Hey....it sounded like a good idea at the time...

He looked quite funny...we never shaved him again...

Not to mention he shed even more. :LOL

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#3 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think dh believes me that I did because of the skin infection, since Molly was born I've been threatening both dogs and the cat with a bic razer. He kept shaking his head saying, "yeah, I like how you shaved my dog but bathed, brushed and fluffed your dog..."
#4 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:30 AM

:LOL Awwwww Poor babies...lol Tell your dh if he doesn't straighten up...he's next.

#5 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#6 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

I already did him, soon my house will be fur free in spite of 2 german shepherds and a cat!! Ahhhh yes, I can't wait--those animals better sleep with one eye open :LOL
#7 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 AM

What blade did you use? I mean, how short is this dog?

I totally agree, nothing short of health reasons will get me to willingly shave a double coated dog!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#8 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Karen...you don't want to know :
I started with a #5, but when I finished with that her sides looked spotted and that's where the worst of the infection was, so I tried to blend down and took the sides down with a #7F. The cut isn't bad, it just looks utterly ridiculous because of her colouring.
#9 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:58 AM

That's not too bad. I'm just glad you didn't tell me a 10! Now that is short! Good luck with the skin issues.

I just 7 stripped a Newfie that I had not groomed in 2 years. I did a 5 on his head, ears and legs. He looked like a black lab with a too large head. It was actually cute.....but I'm real picky and make it all smooth and scissor the legs,head & ears in so it all blends and the dog looks like he naturally came that way.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#10 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I blended her not too bad, unfortunately she's horrible to groom (I know, the shoemakers kids) and the infection made totally smooth an unrealistic goal. I'll probably try to fix her up in a week when the infection is under control.
#11 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 06:19 AM

What I wouldn't give to see a picture of that. :LOL Poor doggie.

I was getting a real kick out of the dogs coming out of PetSmart the other day. It's starting to get rather warm here, so all the owners were getting their pups the "summer shave". All the dogs were coming out with a "what the heck just happened" look on their faces, and all the dogs being drug in had the "OH, CRAP!" look. It was quite hilarious.

My personal opinion is that no dog should EVER get a haircut where they come out looking like a mutant male lion. If you are gonna trim the dog, please....please......PLEASE don't leave the head, tail, and lower legs the same...good GRIEF that looks rediculous, IMO. Especially if it's a fluffy dog like a spitz or chow, leave the animal some dignity. :LOL
#12 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 09:49 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking this thread can't reach its full potential without a picture :LOL

Do it shannon! Embarass your dog on the WWW!
#13 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

batteries on the digital camera are dead, but I'll get new ones this afternoon and embarass poor Lammie
#14 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 AM

#15 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 10:33 AM

aw poor pooch- hope the infection is taken care of quickly!!!

oh shannon- you need to update "molly's page" or it'll be deleted

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#16 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Man, I'd shave Blondie in a heartbeat if I could, but I have a bad track record with dog shaving...my MIL's dog hates me. She'll just mention that I'm coming over and the dog will growl and hide. She's received many a bad hair cut from me and several nicks. I also cut off the tip of her ear once

So no shaving for my poor German Shepherd...even though I don't see what a difference it would make...I sweep or vacuum half her freaking fur off the floor every day...when is she going to stop shedding?!

I hope Bedlam's sores get better soon. Do you think the water could be making them worse? Or is she having an allergic reaction to something in the water or her environment? Blondie is allergic to fleas and she got last season...man oh man did she get a bad infection.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#17 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I think the infection is from the swamp, Havoc has a couple hotspots on his legs. The pond is really clean, but the swamp is exceptionally stinky and gross this time of year. Her skin looks loads better this morning--which means it's gonna be really hard to explain why my german shepherd looks like this--once her skin is normal, few will believe me that it was all red and pussy :LOL

Thanks about Molly's page--how do you know that???
#18 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM

It says
Quote:
This Babies Online web site is past it's expiration date and will be permanently deleted on 6/5/2005 if not updated!
on her website.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#19 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh NO!!! Ok, so I'll get batteries for the camera and put a pic of the shaved Bedlam on to update
#20 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Sodium Ascorbate for dog health. Orthomocular Specialties (Dr Wendall Belfield) has a vitamin , vitamin C powder for dogs. They also have MEGA C drops puppies and sick dogs.

Dr Belfield has done a lot in studing dogs and their need for vit C.
#21 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218

Thanks about Molly's page--how do you know that???

i thought maybe you might have "before" pics of pooch in there...

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#22 of 40 Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 PM

I just wanted to comment on the invisable fencing. Please consider getting a backup fence, if you haven't already. I used invisable fencing for 2 years with never a problem, then I got another system for our new home, and within a week it failed. I lost my beautiful little girl to a car as a result. I know that you adore your dogs, and how heartbroken you would be if something happened to one of them. Please don't trust these systems completely.
#23 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 12:52 AM

: About the fur..

I am sorry Marie

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#24 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 AM

Yeah, chow/lab mixes shouldn't be shaved either. And they still shed, and the short hairs are harder to pick out of your food. :LOL

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#25 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Marie, there is a conventional wooden fence along the road side of the property and because of the invisible fence they can't get to anything in the driveway beyond my truck (mainly there's nothing that happens there that would be so exciting for them to realize they could get through there) But our system actually has a flashing light if there is a wire break, the problem was that dh put his skiis up against that area in the basement so we didn't see it flashing when we went downstairs like we should have. What he's done now is move the main unit upstairs so the top of the stairs-we're up and down those stairs 7 or 8 times a day so we'll see it sooner if it happens again. Our main problem is finding the break! We have a huge area fenced off and most of the wire is run through the bush so it's just laying on the ground. The deer in the area are active again so I think maybe someone tripped over it or chewed it. But everything is back up and running now
#26 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Marie, there is a conventional wooden fence along the road side of the property and because of the invisible fence they can't get to anything in the driveway beyond my truck (mainly there's nothing that happens there that would be so exciting for them to realize they could get through there) But our system actually has a flashing light if there is a wire break, the problem was that dh put his skiis up against that area in the basement so we didn't see it flashing when we went downstairs like we should have. What he's done now is move the main unit upstairs so the top of the stairs-we're up and down those stairs 7 or 8 times a day so we'll see it sooner if it happens again. Our main problem is finding the break! We have a huge area fenced off and most of the wire is run through the bush so it's just laying on the ground. The deer in the area are active again so I think maybe someone tripped over it or chewed it. But everything is back up and running now
You must have a different system then we did. Ours was the underground fence, and even when it failed, both lights stayed on. Glad you have taken steps to ensure their safety, though from your obvious love for them I never should have questioned you.
#27 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

We have actual invisible fencing brand and we have the premium system, it's got a few extra features that are really handy
#28 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM

We used the PetSafe Containment System. Warn everyone you know who has or is thinking about invisable fencing NOT to buy this system.
#29 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I always warn people not to buy the knock off systems. Invisible Fence brand is quite a bit more expensive, but it's a much better product and has many safety features that radio fence and pet safe don't have. That and the collars are guarenteed for life--even if the dog chews it! The collar receivers are much smaller too. I hadn't realized it before because we didn't have that feature enabled (but now we do) but our main unit also beeps when a wire break happens, so between the beeping and the flashing light and the fact that it's on the main level of the house now, we'll know right away if we get a break again.
#30 of 40 Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Pet Safe sucks...in my oh so humble opinion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page