shaving a golden....need info please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it safe to shave a Golden Retriever during summer? My father wants to shave his golden down becuase he thinks it will keep her cooler and that her fur will grow in nicer. I have heard that some breedsare actually cooler without being shaved but could not find info specifically about goldens. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 10:57 PM

I don't know much about it either...but shaving our Akita mix didn't do anything for making him cooler. And some of his fur never grew back. So....that's all I have. :LOL Sorry

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

Old 05-09-2005, 11:01 PM

I would say Don't Do It! I followed a groomer's advice and shaved our dog and she was so upset and as the pp said, a lot of it never grew back. They are not meant to be shaved.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 AM

No, double coated dogs should never be shaved (except when medically needed--like my poor german shepherd)
The Golden's double coat acts to keep her cool, when she's shaved the coat is undercoat which is NOT designed to protect against the sun.
The only areas that can be 'safely' shaved are the areas that are undercoat, so back feathering can be taken down, belly hair can be taken down. I used to do a cut on a golden who got hotspots every summer if we didn't do it and what we did was shave the belly, trim all feathering to roughly 1/2 - 1" in length and trim under the ears short and keep chest hair short. The owner noticed she seemed cooler and didn't get hotspots as her coat was always kept nice and thin.
The best thing your dad can do is either take her in to a groomer nad get her undercoat stripped out, or purchase an undercoat rake and just keep brushing.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!!!!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

User Tag List