Anyone Else *REALLY* Love Their Pet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

I love my cat to the point of obsession! I mean, I have two cats, and I love the other one too, but Haylie is my baby! I am overwhelmed by my love for this animal. I've had plenty of pets in the past and never felt such adoration.

It hit me the other day that this might be....odd (well it's occurred to me before but I never cared), when my mother invited us to go away for the weekend this summer and all I could think was, "How could I leave her home alone? I would miss her so much!" I know that's ridiculous, she's an animal, not a human, but also there's no one we really trust to feed/water the cats while we're gone. The real reason we definitely won't go is because we're having the baby early in the summer and I just can't see taking a newborn on a weekend excursion. Plus we can't afford it. So it's not really stopping me from going, but at the same time it made me think, am I unusual for being so in love with a kitty??

anyone else? (not just kitties, any pets?)

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#2 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 04:26 PM

totally. I love my cats & dogs
When 1 of my beloved dogs died suddenly,
I tattooed her name on my arm with little footprints around it...
I lost my older dog last fall so I need to add a name

my pets have always been there to give unconditional love to me.
My pets knew I was going into labor HOURS b/f I did.
My pets have been a source of so much happiness I can't possibly repay them. :

Whenever we visit anyone, we have to allow pet time b/c "we can't be gone all day, y'know" :LOL

When DS had colic so badly, all my cats & dogs would follow us while we were walking him & looking like, " is he gonna be ok" they would sniff him & give a lkiss would would break the crying cycle for a brief moment

oh, I could go on..........

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#3 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM

I'm the crazy cat lady who takes my cat for walks on a leash, brings him along for any overnight visits with family, lets him sleep right up on my pillow, etc. And if that's wrong I don't wanna be right. :
#4 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep I surely do. How could I not love this?:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...house40567.jpg

She's my little furry baby. We also feel like we can't be gone too long and we try to take her with us mostly, but she hates to travel.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 05:25 PM

One million percent.

I loved my Irving so much. He was my sweetest marshmallow, a really unusually large enormous almost-totally-white shorthair cat, with a little grey mark on his nose. And I remember how loving he was with my babies, and how he would just flatten his ears and purr like a lawnmower, curled up next to me while I nursed and just aimlessly scratched his little head ... and how he would sit on my feet late at night while I sat here on the computer, working and hanging around MDC ...

He died 2 years ago. I miss him terribly.

My other cat, Mitzi, was also sweet, and I loved her, too, and after Irving died she took over the foot-warming-under-the-computer, which was so special to me that she did it ... but it's not the same.

She's gone now, too.

Sigh.

#6 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 PM

YEP! My parents think i'm crazy becuase I"m always buying my animals treats and toys. I hate the thought of anything happening to any of them and when Tyson got parvo I stayed up with him for 2 days and fed him water and pedialyte every half hour and then finally drove him 20 minutes to the nearest emergency vet so he could get meds and fluids through an IV. like a pp said, if it's wrong, i dont wannabe right.

and you know what? dd has got the same love for animals i do. I caught her today blowing kisses at the guinea pig and at the puppy when I wasn't looking. how sweet is that?

Here's pictures of my furry babies:
Wiki the guinea pig
Lady, 5 years old
Tyson, choc. lab puppy 5 months
Goldie, my dad's dog, 3 years old

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#7 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:41 PM

boricuaqueen327 - that's nice..
my DD grew up with the love of animals
I see the same in DS now & it's so sweet

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#8 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM

I learned it from my parents and yep I am the same with my cat (though our relationship has changed since I made the big decision to make him an indoor/outdoor cat- I am no longer ok with him on my pillow. I miss the closeness we shared, but it was probably the best thing I could do for him). I call him my firstborn! My parents' cat is known to my dd's as "uncle Velvet". He's 19.5 yrs old! Some days he was what kept my parents together- knowing that he'd be heartbroken if they spearated!
#9 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 08:50 PM

polka- I love your siggy!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#10 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM

I had a cat I loved like this. she was my baby since I was about 12. she died 3 years ago I still miss her. I feel guilty because I still have 4 cats and 3 dogs, but none like her.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#11 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 09:08 PM

:Amy...I'm so sorry.

I love my kitties very much...

I also have 2 kitties that have passed that I will never forget and still dream about.

My current kitties are Minu and Elsa....Minu is a big fuzzball and Elsa is a darling little love magnet

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#12 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 09:47 PM

I really do love my pets but right now, I have some Animal Planet show going on here.
My only intact (non-fixed) dog is my female GSD that is in heat & my 2 male GSD's have forgotten that they ARE fixed soooooooo :LOL :LOL :LOL
there's all kinds of Hanky-panky going on....
ugh... well, they're trying to do the Hanky-panky :LOL
she stands there for a few minutes until the boys are all in a tizzy then she runs off.... aloof - she's a naughty girl :LOL

#13 of 21 Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polka123
I really do love my pets but right now, I have some Animal Planet show going on here.
My only intact (non-fixed) dog is my female GSD that is in heat & my 2 male GSD's have forgotten that they ARE fixed soooooooo :LOL :LOL :LOL
there's all kinds of Hanky-panky going on....
ugh... well, they're trying to do the Hanky-panky :LOL
she stands there for a few minutes until the boys are all in a tizzy then she runs off.... aloof - she's a naughty girl :LOL

That's hilarious!

#14 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 04:38 PM

bump

#15 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 04:57 PM

I LOVE my dog and couldnt imagine my life without her. I have had her for 7 years, longer than DP or dd. She is my first baby. She is an 8 year old pitbull. She is so good with dd is is awsome. We take her everywhere, as I couldnt imagine her not being there with us. She has traveled all over the country, this winter we drove to Florida and she came with.

darkstar
#16 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 06:07 PM

no

And this bothers me. I used to worship him and treat him better than many people treat babies. But now that I have a baby I find myself not just ignoring him, but getting annoyed with him and wishing he would "just go somewhere else"

Isn't that terrible? He knows it too and acts up because he is sad and jealous. I want to love him again, but he is just ALWAYS in the way and making a mess and so on!

His only saving grace these days is that DS LOVES LOVES LOVES him and makes him so happy by just getting withing a 2 foot sphere of that dog.

So there, I admit it. I am a bad mamma to my dog. :

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#17 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
no

And this bothers me. I used to worship him and treat him better than many people treat babies. But now that I have a baby I find myself not just ignoring him, but getting annoyed with him and wishing he would "just go somewhere else"
Ditto. Dh and I were talking about this last night. We have 4 kitties and 1 ds. Ds is 13 mo. and since he was born, I just don't find myself being as nice to them. We also moved into our house when ds was 10 days old and decided to have a cat free bedroom. (They used to sleep with us every night.) I think it has been detrimental to them. Our oldest is deteriorating. I find myself getting angry that they are sitting on my kitchen table and counters. Dh and I decided last night that we both need to treat them better and give them more love. They used to receive so much love. They deserve it. And ds loves them so much and we want him to be respectful of animals and love them as much as we do.
#18 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abac
Ditto. Dh and I were talking about this last night. We have 4 kitties and 1 ds. Ds is 13 mo. and since he was born, I just don't find myself being as nice to them. We also moved into our house when ds was 10 days old and decided to have a cat free bedroom. (They used to sleep with us every night.) I think it has been detrimental to them. Our oldest is deteriorating. I find myself getting angry that they are sitting on my kitchen table and counters. Dh and I decided last night that we both need to treat them better and give them more love. They used to receive so much love. They deserve it. And ds loves them so much and we want him to be respectful of animals and love them as much as we do.
It's awesome that you guys decided that.

#19 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Right now the only pet we have is a hedgehog..and I would say I him! I had a dog that was my child before I had children. I adored him. Unfortunatly someone stole him after when he was three ( we got him when he was 8 weeks old) I was heart broken. We haven't been able to buy a dog since because our landlord only allows outside dogs and I just don't like that idea.
#20 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 11:21 PM

Dh and i are both CRAZY about our animals! We really love them and they become apart of our family quickly. We all were deeply affected when Tate died a couple weeks ago (dh cried more than i've ever seen him cry)....we were all a mess for days.
But now there's Buster (a beautiful boxer) and he's awesome, but its very restricting having a puppy...the middle of the night bathroom breaks, not leaving the house for more than 30 min because we dont want him to get scared, the big sister training for Dixie (our 2 yr old rhodesian ridgeback).
We all love our animals around here, to the point our families think we're nuts :LOL
#21 of 21 Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 PM

We had a pug, Normie, who we totally adored, he passed away last November at the stately old age of 15 and we were completely devastated. He had some spinal difficulties and had trouble walking, so we got him a custom 'wheelchair' for his hind legs and we took him for little walks and to the park. DH and I are physical therapists and we used to do a lot of soft tissue techniques and massage on his old muscles to help him with the arthritis.

We absolutely our new addition pug, Ganesh (nickname Neshi). We are quite obsessed with him and he is our furbaby. We talk about him and make up silly songs about him constantly. We just adopted him a little over a month ago (he'll be 2 in June) and we already cannot imagine life without him. He seriously is one of the sweetest, cutest, friendliest, affectionate and super-goofy dogs I've ever met. He is a clown and loves to make us laugh and invites us to play constantly, but then he'll come and snuggle us and 'kiss' us tenderly. So sweet!

We are looking forward to Neshi being our baby's big brother and best friend. He is so sweet with kiddos and babies and it will be so fun to see their relationship develop. He is an integral part of our family and he is loved and spoiled. We wouldn't have it any other way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page