How can I stop a male cat from spraying? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or generally peing all over the damn place?

We rescued a cat about 6 weeks ago and suddenly in the past two weeks he has peed everywhere. We clean his liter box out twice a day, we play with him, nothing new has been introduced. So far he peed in DH's closet, in the computer room, in the playpen we use for diaper changes, on my backpack and probably on my son's top bunk

I have spent a week washing everything and then last night he peed on the floor of the computer room and now I have to wash the whole thing down. It's disgusting.

He just got neutered two days ago. Will this help? If it doesn't I don't think he will be staying with us much longer. I need a quick solution or DH is throwing him out!

He spent last night in the laundry room and is in there right now.

We have a dog and they get along fine. The cat was a stray used to being outside but I would prefer to keep him inside if I can. Lot sof poison and stuff out there adn too many animals die by accidently eating it (base housing).

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#2 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 AM

I think being fixed will help.

good luck!

-Angela
#3 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry, I don't know, just wanted to see if there was a punchline. I would think being neutered would help too, but I don't know. I've only had female cats.
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 03:47 AM

If he isn't neutered and already has the ability to spray it may be too late. Once a cat reaches a certain age and develops the spraying urge even neutering sometimes doesn't help.

I got my male cat neutered before 6 months of age, and it never occured to him to mark his territory. He was sexually immature and just doesn't care now, even with three female cats in the house. :LOL

Few links---I haven't really read through these yet:

http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/pdf/Cat...0solutions.pdf

http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_B...g_Urine/1.html

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...e=nyc_caturine
#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 AM

: :LOL

We had our Sam done at around 6 mos, before he had it figured out. He does walk around and vibrates his tail at things like he is going to but doesn't do anything. He thinks he's all that

mum to a crew...
#6 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 06:58 AM

Neutering might help, but I do know neutered cats that do it. It's not quite as nasty smelling, but it's still pee.

Maybe once he gets comfortable there and doesn't feel like he has something to prove, he'll stop.

Have you tried getting a squirt gun and spraying him when you catch him doing it? That might help. I trained my girl kitties like that, but my DH terrorized them so much it didn't do much good.
#7 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 07:22 AM

Punch line: "Take away his hose."

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I once had a male cat who sprayed everywhere, all the time. He even did it on our bed, with us sleeping in it! Yuck. Now that's an unpleasant way to wake up...anyway, he did eventually stop. We had to seriously retrain him with the squirt bottle, and also scrub scrub scrub all of his usual places. Once they "mark" a spot, they'll keep going back to it and spraying there again, especially if the scent is lingering. So you need to get the smell out and/or remove the problem items (not that you wouldn't do that anyway, but...). It's tough to remove that odor, too, but you could try one of those solutions formulated for pet odors, if you're not opposed to using the chemicals. I think neutering might help too.

Good luck!
~Nick
#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2005, 11:09 AM

If you are opposed to chemicals (which I have to be as a result of DD's asthma), you can soak up as much as possible, put on a THICK layer of baking soda, let it sit for a few hours, then vacuum it up. I even mix some orange/spearmint oil in with the bs before I put it on there. That may help get rid of the smell more on the things you can't just throw in teh washer or scrub (like carpets, mattress, etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page