Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 04:51 AM

I would say PM shannon

But when my dog gets hungry, especially when the weather is changing i've noticed, she really gets after anything sweet.

Has she been more active since the weather's warmer?

What breed of dog do you have?
#3 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 05:01 AM

Hmmm...I'm wondering if there isn't something in the chocolate she's seeking out because of a vitamin defeciency or even something like a seasonal mood disorder. I do think Shannon will be able to help.

Who knows, maybe she just sees you eating it all the time or has a real sweet tooth. :LOL I honestly think though it must be for one of the two reasons I stated above. Good luck figuring this out.
#4 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

#5 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM

this is "chocalate flavored" dog treats.

something about it attracts her.
I would try & keep it away from her tho' as some dogs do seizure on the stuff. Then you hear stories of folks that give their dogs bites of choc all the time..

Try peanut butter on a dog cookie, etc.
maybe her addiction can switch to p-nut butter :LOL

hey I just remembered a study about chocolate gives you the feeling of being in love or alike :LOL
maybe she has Spring fever :LOL

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#6 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 AM

Can't help you with your dog question, but that does sound like an awful lot of chocolate for your dd... maybe I should come over and help her eat it? You know, to save the dog from eating it cause your poor dd can't keep up?
#7 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 AM

Diabetes maybe?
#8 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

#9 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe the dog is just being a bitch? :LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist making a pun.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#10 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 02:57 PM

a normal dog (of about 50lbs) would have to eat a LOT of chocolate to cause serious damage. Example... a springer spaniel ate 5lbs dark chocolate- BAD (ended up on iv/life support for two weeks... but lived)
#11 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy
a normal dog (of about 50lbs) would have to eat a LOT of chocolate to cause serious damage. Example... a springer spaniel ate 5lbs dark chocolate- BAD (ended up on iv/life support for two weeks... but lived)
And isn't dark chocolate way worse than milk chocolate for dogs?

My dh had a dobie when he was younger, the dog ate 30 World's Finest Fundraiser Chocolate bars, wrappers and all and didn't skip a beat

For my dog it's butter....he will get it every chance he has!
#12 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 03:47 PM

my sisters' chocolate lab once ate a bag of mini-bars (the halloween kind), wrappers and all. We were living in the city at the time ( chicago )... so , during the leash walks following the chow down we got to be totally embarrassed by people WATCHING as he would strain to poop them back out- still in their original wrappers... true story.

ps- not chocolate related but this same dog at 12 cassette tapes at one time. He was pooping out the "tape" part for hours. Until finally no more would come out and there was just a string of the "tape" coming out of his butt... we took him into the emergency veg where they did an xray and saw much change ($), 3 keyps, and a mess of (yep) cassette tape stuff. He was given soft food to makehim poop it all out... oh the fun those bathroom walks were. lol. Also, he often ate whole plastic grocery bags and would poop them half way out and we'd have to stand there, in the middle of chicago, pulling the remainder of the bag out of his butt.
#13 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 05:30 PM

: But scary, all at the same time...
#14 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy
my sisters' chocolate lab once ate a bag of mini-bars (the halloween kind), wrappers and all. We were living in the city at the time ( chicago )... so , during the leash walks following the chow down we got to be totally embarrassed by people WATCHING as he would strain to poop them back out- still in their original wrappers... true story.

ps- not chocolate related but this same dog at 12 cassette tapes at one time. He was pooping out the "tape" part for hours. Until finally no more would come out and there was just a string of the "tape" coming out of his butt... we took him into the emergency veg where they did an xray and saw much change ($), 3 keyps, and a mess of (yep) cassette tape stuff. He was given soft food to makehim poop it all out... oh the fun those bathroom walks were. lol. Also, he often ate whole plastic grocery bags and would poop them half way out and we'd have to stand there, in the middle of chicago, pulling the remainder of the bag out of his butt.
Too funny!!! My dog has pooped a paper towel turd...back when we used to use paper towels, he'd eat those all of the time too! Gross!
#15 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Is it the caffeine in the chocolate that causes the dog's heart rate to increase and that's why it's dangerous?
#16 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe the dog is just being a bitch?
:LOL Ruthla!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#17 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 07:48 PM

First, yeah my ears were burning!!
Second (only cause I can't resist) Kimberly--it was a chocolate lab---of course he wanted to eat some candy bars!!! Silly humans :LOL

Third, the amount of chocolate depends very much on the dog but yes, dark chocolate is always worse. Like people some dogs regardless of weight can process it and some can't. I had a shepherd who almost died after eating a family sized (not real big, maybe 2 chocolate bar size) fruit and nut bar. She was on IV for 3 weeks and twice went into cardiac arrest. It's not the caffeine, there is a chemical in chocolate that is very toxic to dogs (the name escapes me right now)

Fourth, yummy, sounds good, can I come visit--or perhaps you could send me some of your treats so I can test them here in my lab to see if there is something in them drawing your beastie to them--yeah, yeah, that would work

Now to be serious, there are a couple things that could be happening, is she a dog who usually consumes a bunch of grass in the spring time?? Many dogs do crave sweetness in the spring and it goes back to the wild when they had limited diets over the winter (or at least little vegatables) so when the grass comes up they consume mounds of it to clean out their intestines. Sometimes our domestic dog's don't realize the reasons behind thing and she may just figure it's spring time and therefore time to eat some sweets. Secondly though as Chersolly mentioned it could be a precurser to diabetes. Keep an eye on how much water she is drinking and how often she is peeing, if anything seems out of normal check it out further (although it would be normal to drink a lot after consuming a plate of brownies) (they aren't 'special' brownies are they?????)
#18 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
there is a chemical in chocolate that is very toxic to dogs (the name escapes me right now)

theobromine good for milk supply imo.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#19 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 08:22 PM

my pup has been eating tissues...

guess she wanted her butt wiped :LOL:

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#20 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 08:41 PM

I thank you, yes that's it, I can be excused, I just had a wonderful rum and coke with lime, the first one in roughly 2 yrs--boy did that go to my head!!!

"but wiped" Hahahahaaha--see though, when I say stuff like that when people are paying me to tell me why their dogs do weird things--they just get pissed at paying 100 bucks an hour to a comedian :LOL
#21 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 08:47 PM

I once had to pull a SOCK out of a dog's butt. I told that dog that if she ever did it again, she was going to the pound. She never did it again, I guess she understood. :LOL
#22 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 09:09 PM

I think we should have a new thread... "What have you pulled out of a dog's butt??"

Ok, so the rum is still affecting my brain, need to eat, must turn off computer....
#23 of 23 Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 PM

Again, I've pulled an American Flag out of my dog's butt.... Very patriotic of her.... :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page