Cats mating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question. I believe my cat just got pregnant. She just had a litter in March so it kind of worries me but I know cats have this thing called "spontaneous" ovulation, meaning they're pretty much guaranteed to get pregnant. I didn't see them actually mating but the tom is out there by her and he keeps growling and she keeps rolling around on the ground back and forth really fast. What does that mean? Can she be in heat this soon after having kittens? They're still nursing, btw.

Help!

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 AM

She sure can! Back when I was, oh, about 8, and my parents were too unconcerned about spaying my outside kitty, she got pregnant just a few days after childbirth. From the way I understand it, the tom's penis has little barbs that cause a (painful!) sensation that stimulates ovulation. Ouch!
#3 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

This was her 3rd litter and we were going to get her spayed. I guess I was too late, but I didn't want to take her away from here babies while they were still nursing.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#4 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Oh, BTW, the rolling around on the ground is a pain reaction. You may also see her frantically licking herself. Feline sex hurts! They really oughta think about IVF!
#5 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:12 AM

Oh, I understand. That wasn't a dig on you. It was a dig on them, because they allowed her to have 8 litters before they finally dumped her in the pound, while I was in school, because she wouldn't stop having kittens! I only hope she got adopted by a loving family, she was so sweet, but I don't think that happened. Anyways, cats get pregnant incredibly fast, it's never safe to wait for them to wean their babies, unfortunately.
#6 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJJJ
Oh, BTW, the rolling around on the ground is a pain reaction. You may also see her frantically licking herself. Feline sex hurts! They really oughta think about IVF!
:LOL Well, that would make sense then b/c she was also licking herself like a fiend.

Thanks for your help, MPJJJ!!

#7 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:15 AM

You can still get her fixed even if she's pregnant. Yes, it will be a kitty abortion , but it will be easier on her health in the long run. I had a cat fixed once and I didn't know she was pregnant, but the embryos were about the size of my thumbnail according to the vet.

Cats ovulate at the moment the male cat ejaculates. Fun stuff huh? Too bad it's not so easy for those of us who are TTC. Wouldn't that be a riot?

If the kittens were born in March they should be old enough to wean soon. 8 weeks is usually the time mom starts to brush them off.
#8 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 AM

I'm sorry but I have to say this. How very irresponsible of you to allow that cat to keep getting pregnant. Go get her spayed right away.
#9 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortsmommy
I'm sorry but I have to say this. How very irresponsible of you to allow that cat to keep getting pregnant. Go get her spayed right away.
Wow, get off your high horse! Most people don't know that cats (and dogs too) can reproduce that quickly, especially when they are nursing. And she said she had intended to get her spayed, so back off!
#10 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OMG! And how rude of you to say that. I don't "allow" my cat to get pg. She comes in and out of the house as she pleases and I can't monitor every time a male cat comes around. The only reason I know about this one is b/c I heard the cat growling outside this morning. It's not like I set up a time for them to get together b/c I enjoy all these litters of kitties.

We've been fortunate thus far b/c we've found very good homes for the kittens and some we've kept ourselves. We had full intentions of getting this cat spayed after this litter that she just had. As I said, I guess I was too late. So please take your "irresponsible" high horse elswhere.

#11 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferH
Cats ovulate at the moment the male cat ejaculates. Fun stuff huh? Too bad it's not so easy for those of us who are TTC. Wouldn't that be a riot?

If the kittens were born in March they should be old enough to wean soon. 8 weeks is usually the time mom starts to brush them off.
We TTC'd for 18 months for this baby so yes, being cat-like would've been nice! :LOL

The kittens are 10 weeks this week and are eating solid food but they are still attached like they're infants!!

#12 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
She just said she is going to get the cat spayed.

If you can contain her somewhere until her babies stop nursing I think that would be ideal. Either way though...I think it's best to get her spayed when they wean no matter what.
#13 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 PM

And once cats go into heat...they don't come out of heat unless they are spayed or mated. I learned this one the hard way. :LOL

Not that it's really the same thing...but look at Rats, mice or rabbits...look how often they "do it" and how they have generations of offspring that are only a few months apart.

Little sluts they are...

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#14 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:25 PM

Well excuse me. I guess you were unaware of pet overpopulation considering you said this was her THIRD litter. I think you all need to "get off it."
#15 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:30 PM

I love when people say something offensive but don't take responsibility for it... "sorry to HAVE to say this." Um, did you HAVE to say it? Was there a better, kinder, less abrasive way of saying it?

Don't get me wrong, I can do offensive and abrasive with the best of them, but I don't HAVE to.

I think it's great you are gonna get your cat spayed HDM.
#16 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:37 PM

What is so OFFENSIVE about stating the truth. It is COMPLETELY irresponsible to allow your cat to have 3 litters of kittens. If anything I'm sorry for saying I'm sorry.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affe...estimates.html
#17 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 PM

I was mostly responding to your statement that you were sorry you "had" to post something judgmental, not so much that you did it. If you do it, own it.

But since we're going there here is my opinion about your judgmental post: Any time anybody posts anything but undying devotion and martyrdom about their pets, it turns into a flame war.

HDM already said she planned to get the cat spayed but wanted to wait until she was done nursing her last litter. It sounds to me like she is open to suggestions, but how is it helpful to go on about "irresponsibility" etc?

Btw I hate my dog. Well, strongly dislike.
#18 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 PM

Yikes, I can see where this thread is going.

Sorry about your kitty HDM, I hope you find homes for all these kittens!

We had the same thing happen with our dog once, so I know what its like!
#19 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:46 PM

I think it's the *way* you said it though. It came across as attacking/condecending/abrasive. I admit, I cringe whenever I read someone posting about their cat having kittens here. Since she said the cat will be getting spayed I assume she knows it's important to do it and doesn't need any lectures or attacks about it.
#20 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Well if you hate your dog then get rid of him. Maybe you'll both be happier.
#21 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Well if you hate your dog then get rid of him. Maybe you'll both be happier.
I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic, ya know, tongue in cheek? Saying something you don't really mean just to piss someone else off even more? of course, you wouldn't know anything about that.
#22 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Wow. I know that other posters have responded to your statement, but I'd like to add that I adopted a cat who was already the equivalent of 9 months pregnant. The woman who hooked me up with the cat (who made me SWEAR I would spay/neuter each kitten AND the mommy, she runs her own cat rescue organization, has some kind of license, etc etc etc) told me "As soon as her kitties stop nursing, call and make the appointment to get her spayed".

This is an EXPERT! So it's not irresponsible for someone to think that a cat will not get pregnant while nursing.

My parents have a new litter of kitties....they brought their kitten to the pound (here the pound does vaxes and "fixing") and were told that she was too young to get pregnant, bring her back in a month....they never got to bring her back in a month because the cat was pregnant....they never even saw her have her 1st heat.

So please refrain from calling people irresponsible just because they are mistaken, misinformed, etc.

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#23 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJJJ
I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic, ya know, tongue in cheek? Saying something you don't really mean just to piss someone else off even more? of course, you wouldn't know anything about that.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well slap me sillly! I guess I was sooo confused.

What is wrong with ya'll tonight? Lighten up or something! So I said something about 3 litters of cats being irresponsible. Yeah I'm the devil.
#24 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:07 PM

Christy, I've read some of your posts before and I've never seen you be like this. Are you maybe just having a rough day and taking it out on the wrong people?
#25 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 PM

Oh, and as for not getting your pets fixed because you wanted her to finish nursing, I did just that. My dog got PG very young (was only 7 months, had never had a first heat. My vet would not spay her until she had already had a heat cycle.) Her pups were 7 weeks old, and still nursing around the clock. They weren't even taking solids, they just weren;t interested. guess what? She came into heat again! I didn't even think it was possible!

Well, vet wouldn't spay her when she was in heat, and everyone else wanted too much. (The cost of spaying went up significantly when in a heat cycle, plus it can be more dangerous.) Everyone told me to just keep her in, and keep her supervised when outside. Wait it out, then bring her in.

So I'm cooking something that had to be stirred constantly, she starts frantically scratching at the door. I look all around the yard, no one is there except for this little weiner dog who had been hopefully camped out in my yard all week. I let her out, she stayed out just long enough for me to transfer my burnables into a bowl and turn off the stove, then I went to get her. My jaw dropped when I saw her laying on her belly, chewing on a bone, with that weiner dog, well, going at it! And he was stuck to her, because when I called her name, she came running, with that little weiner dog hanging on for dear life, backwards! His feet couldn;t even touch the ground! Ouch! (She was a 40 lb lab mix, which is what made it so suprising! He dropped off just as she hit the porch, layed there for a while, then went home, never to return again. :LOL
No harm, no foul, right? There is no way a 5lb weiner dog is gonna impregnant a 40 pound lab, especially when he didn't get a chance to finish the deed.

Wrong. Some 60 some days later, she gives birth to 2 little pups, who turned into the funniest little dogs I have ever seen. They had the head of a lab, stocky body like a beagle, and short, 6 inch legs. Poor little guys!

Happy ending, I put an ad in the paper, and got many calls about the oddity, people thought it was a typo! No one came because they thought it was a joke. The one and only person who did come on the last day the ad ran fell head over heels with both, and took them home. I saw them a few months later, happy as can be. The only complication from their odd breed is probably going to be back problems as they age, according to their vet. But no harm, no foul, and this lady wasn't even going to consider getting a dog until she saw my ad. They were made for each other.

but, this story was to share with you that even responsible people can make mistakes when they have the best of intentions. And certain people should really think about the circumstances before they make judgements. The unthinkable happens sometimes.
#26 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
Christy, I've read some of your posts before and I've never seen you be like this. Are you maybe just having a rough day and taking it out on the wrong people?
No I am not having a rough day. Well until now! LOL. I first read this thread while I was about to leave the house to take my son to Dollywood so I answered quickly and shortly. Then when I got home and saw the responses I responded in kind.

Sometimes we say what we think ya know. Sometimes what we think may not be the nicest thing in the world and sometimes it may even be wrong. However that doesn't mean that we should never speak our mind especially when its close to heart.

I'm not sure what to think about this whole thread. I never dreamed I would be in the minority here to think that the cat should have been spayed about 3 litters ago. Sorry if that offends you. I post here to make friends not to bicker. I have nothing against ANYONE personally I just hate to think of all those kittens in the world without happy homes.

Good luck to all the kitties and you. I hope everything goes well.
#27 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I never dreamed I would be in the minority here to think that the cat should have been spayed about 3 litters ago.
But you're not in the minority. We all agree. We just didn't find it appropriate to personally attack her in this situation.
#28 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure what to think about this whole thread. I never dreamed I would be in the minority here to think that the cat should have been spayed about 3 litters ago. Sorry if that offends you. I post here to make friends not to bicker. I have nothing against ANYONE personally I just hate to think of all those kittens in the world without happy homes.

Good luck to all the kitties and you. I hope everything goes well.
It's the way it came across to me. I was posting hoping to get some help from someone who knew more than I did about cats and I got several helpful responses and a lot of new info. I know you from the Diapering board and I know you aren't usually a rude person, so it came as a bit of a surprise.

And all of my kitties have gone to wonderful homes so no need to worry that they aren't in a happy home.

FWIW, I'm calling our vet tomorrow to find out what I can do about the situation.

#29 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

OMG Marie! I'm LOL at the visual picture I'm getting of that weiner dog hanging on upside down!! I bet they were "interesting" pups, but ITA w/you, responsible people can be misinformed.

#30 of 30 Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 PM

I'm sorry that I sounded rude. I will try not to answer threads like this on the fly anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page