dog people...need advice quickly! - Mothering Forums
Pets > dog people...need advice quickly!
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 01:59 AM 05-25-2005
We found 2 pit bull puppies. I dont know if they're purebred or mixed but they are very young, around 7 weeks and they have worms and are very underweight. I can't keep them forever becuase we already have 2 dogs but I can keep them until they are well and healthy and then find them new homes. I am debating whether to keep them until they are healthy or turn them over to the shelter. The thing is I might as well hand them a death sentence becuase the shelter is having an outbreak of parvo and distemper and I'm pretty sure these pups dont have any vaccines plus they are really young and not strong. what should I do?

DesireeH's Avatar DesireeH 02:59 AM 05-25-2005
I would skip the shelter and take them to a local vet (that is not suffering an outbreak of parvo and distemper) and get them help for the worms (which is fairly inexpensive) and get them on their way to wellness and then find them good homes. How awesome of you to save 2 puppies!
Itlbokay's Avatar Itlbokay 03:00 AM 05-25-2005
I second that.

If you can afford it, go for it.
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 03:24 AM 05-25-2005
I was calculating how much everything would cost and I think I could pay for the deworming and some hsots right away. I"m concerned about my other dogs though, how can we help keep them from getting my dogs sick? Also, what kind of food would be good for them? I have large breed puppy food in the house becuase Tyson is still a pup but I"m not sure if pits need large breed food. anyone know?
shelbean91's Avatar shelbean91 03:39 AM 05-25-2005
I'm pretty sure pits are considered large breed. I would guess the food you have for your pup would be fine.
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 01:48 PM 05-25-2005
does anyone else have any advice?
diamond lil's Avatar diamond lil 02:11 PM 05-25-2005
If you are medicating the pups, you must keep your dogs away from the pups, their toys, their eating area, and elimination area until the threat of spreading the worms is gone.

You may be able to find de-worming remedies at your local Pet-Co or Pet-Smart. I'd put an ad in the paper right away if you don't plan on keeping them. Many people like to have pit bulls as family dogs. I would carefully interview each potential dog-parent to weed out the ones who want pit bulls for illegal fighting purposes.

You may want to feed them something easy for digestion while de-worming. I've fed a wormy pup baby food, and he thrived.

Canned pumpkin will help with any runny poop problems. Offer a big scoop of canned pumpkin on top of or with their food if they have runny poops.

I've also received free advice over the phone from vets. Most vets are animal lovers and are willing to advise you (to a certain extent) over the phone with common problems.

Good luck!
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 02:49 PM 05-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Prevailed
If you are medicating the pups, you must keep your dogs away from the pups, their toys, their eating area, and elimination area until the threat of spreading the worms is gone.

You may be able to find de-worming remedies at your local Pet-Co or Pet-Smart. I'd put an ad in the paper right away if you don't plan on keeping them. Many people like to have pit bulls as family dogs. I would carefully interview each potential dog-parent to weed out the ones who want pit bulls for illegal fighting purposes.

You may want to feed them something easy for digestion while de-worming. I've fed a wormy pup baby food, and he thrived.

Canned pumpkin will help with any runny poop problems. Offer a big scoop of canned pumpkin on top of or with their food if they have runny poops.

I've also received free advice over the phone from vets. Most vets are animal lovers and are willing to advise you (to a certain extent) over the phone with common problems.

Good luck!
Thanks! I"m off to make posters and put an ad in the paper. I'm worried about people wanting them for fighting dogs so I"m going to be very careful about who I give them to. I tried giving them chicken baby food but they didn't want it. one of them isnt eating very well, the other one is doing great. i will definitely try calling the vets in my area for some medical advice. thanks!
NiteNicole's Avatar NiteNicole 02:52 PM 05-25-2005
You might also try calling some pit rescue groups in your area (or any area) for advice.
Bluegrass's Avatar Bluegrass 03:00 PM 05-25-2005
I second the pit rescue group, or maybe a no-kill shelter?
iris0110's Avatar iris0110 03:29 PM 05-25-2005
I would check in with the vet if you are having trouble getting one of the pups to eat. We got two kittens from the pound, and we thought they just had worms, but one of the kittens wouldn't eat so we took them to the vet. Turns out they had coccidea (sp?), one of the kittens died, but the other one recovered.

As far as finding them good homes, I would also be leary of giving them to young single guys. I hate to stereotype, but around here alot of young (early 20's usually) single guys get pittbulls as status symbols. They raise them to be mean and then eventually get bored or the dog gets to be to much trouble so they drop them off at a pound or just let them go. The dogs ultimately wind up being put down because they are so poorly socialized that no one wants them. It's really sad.
shannon0218's Avatar shannon0218 04:46 PM 05-25-2005
Your other road could be to call the shelter and tell them you found the pups but you know they have parvo issues right now and that you're willing to foster the pups for them. They may very well then pay for the shots and worming.

Large breed puppy food is just fine for them. Sometimes using a bit of rice baby cereal helps. I would be a bit worried about the pup who wouldn't eat chicken baby food. Where did you find them?? Do you have any idea where they were before you got them??
cortsmommy's Avatar cortsmommy 05:04 PM 05-25-2005
Don't shelters usually just put Pits down these days? I know they are a controversial breed here lately.
DesireeH's Avatar DesireeH 05:37 PM 05-25-2005
Sometimes too if you tell the vet that you found them and are just fostering them temporarily, they may be willing to go lower on the costs or waive the "new patient" fee or whatever.
boricuaqueen327's Avatar boricuaqueen327 07:01 PM 05-25-2005
I found them in the street in front of our house. I had to turn one of the pups in (the one who wasnt eating) becuase I"m pretty sure she has parvo. She was vomiting and depressed just like Tyson was when he had it a while back. Angel seems ok, her stools are a little loose but nothing that I haven't seen in healthy pups before. She isn't vomiting either and she is eating and drinking water ok. I spoke to the shelter and they kinda blew me off and and told me I just had to deal with it if i kept Angel myself since I'm not an official volunteer of the shelther yet. So far, it looks like i'm going to have to get this pup treatment myself which sucks becuase i'm a tight budget. pits here are not put down just for being pits, puppies especially get adopted out quickly. however, if they are sick like Princess is, they usually get put down becuase the shelther can't afford them. any other ideas?
Up