Mad at vet tech....rant ....it's long. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I actually have one client who breastfed her puppies, which I thought was quite amazing, not sure I would do it though!

Who stole my signature!
#32 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 PM

They do actually make calf formula? That's weird... I thought they just fed them milk and made the mama cows overproduce and keep going past weaning and stuff.
#33 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 PM

Hey Mamas.... I thought I'd link you all to the Animal Lovers tribe over in Finding Your Tribe. Along w/ you pet owners/animal lovers... It'd also be fantastic to have those of you who are vets to join us... we could definetly use your wisdom!

Animal Lovers Tribe

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#34 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom
I have no words.

Well, okay, I'm recovering... she'd better get out there and tell all those animals in the wild that they must stop nursing after 3 weeks and they better get those babies on formula. :LOL Never mind they don't have calendars, maybe they can get a free calendar with their formula.

: A free calendar with their formula! That's priceless! :LOL
#35 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 06:45 PM

So Dest, how do you really feel about human milk for puppies, I'v always said that as cows milk isn't good for human babies nor is another species milk good for puppies.
#36 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
They do actually make calf formula? That's weird... I thought they just fed them milk and made the mama cows overproduce and keep going past weaning and stuff.

Yes, they actually make calf formula. it is used in certain industries, and in cases where mama cows reject their calves.
I have a big bag or powdered calf formula in my basement because we had a sick cow. One of the other moms jumped in to nurse her calf though. I am eternally grateful for that because, well, I am lazy and didn't like the idea of having to bottle feed an energetic calf every 3 hours.
The neighboring beef farm keeps Jerseys around because they make better example mommies and wet-nurses than the beef cows.
#37 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 PM

Our neighbors had a calf who's mom died during labor, they have just a few cattle for their own eating purposes (although they sell some to us) They named this calf Babe and still today at 6 yrs old, she sleeps in the barn every night and gets a bottle :LOL
She'll never be bred, she's just your basic 1 tonne house cow :LOL
#38 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 PM

Sounds like our old bull, Petunia. Technically he was the neighbor's bull and he would come over and pet him and talk to him all the time. he was so spoiled. You know, a 3000 lb teddy bear.
#39 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Okay this is totally , but since were on the tangent of calf formula....
A couple of years ago a moose cow was killed by a car around here. Apparently she was in labor, and they managed to save her calf. The rescue folks put a call out to all the farmers with cows that they were looking for a cow who had just given birth so they could give the moose calf bovine colostrum. I assume they would eventually give the moose cow formula, but what happens if a calf (moose, carabou, cow, etc) needs colostrum. What do they do if they can't find a donor?

I'm pretty sure the moose calf survived. I don't know if they found a new cow mama, but it wouldn't have been hard around here.
#40 of 40 Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
So Dest, how do you really feel about human milk for puppies, I'v always said that as cows milk isn't good for human babies nor is another species milk good for puppies.
Well definitely that species milk is the best thing for them, or as close as you can get, I am sure the comfort factor helped though!

Who stole my signature!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page