Anyone NOT spay, nueter, declaw, or vax thier pets????? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, the correlaton between tumors, especially mammary tumors, and being intact, is very real and very significant.

Also, here is a statistic to think over. OVer 2 million dogs and 4 million cats are euthanized in shelters annually. Pet overpopulation brought on by the presence if intact animals and irresponsible breeding is a big part of the problem. Also, with animals that are relinquished to shelters and euthanized, do you know what the leading cause is? Behavioral issues. Behavioral issues are much more likely in intact (both male and female) cats and dogs and are more severe. When I have a client that sees me for a behavior problem, the first recommendation I will have is to spay or neuter if it hasn't been already done.

People get bent out of shape over the euthanasia of shelter animals and things like trap and release programs to control the population size of feral cats, yet won't spay or neuter their own pets. It dumbfounds me.

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#62 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 04:18 PM

I am actually very surprised that on an NFL community we are seeing the promotion of cutting off body parts to prevent disease as a viable choice.

ITA that pet overpopulation is a huge problem. That in and of itself is enough of a reason to spay and neuter.
#63 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I am actually very surprised that on an NFL community we are seeing the promotion of cutting off body parts to prevent disease as a viable choice.
Arduinna, I see what you are saying. You are right, it isn't very NFL. I also agree that the overpopulation issue is the critical reason I recommend spay/neuter. The decrease of disease in both males and females as a result of spay/neuter is a very nice benefit but people who want the procedure for that reason only are missing the boat IMO.

Edited: I wanted to add that while I think NFL principles most often promote greater health than non-NFL practices, I feel that in this case, the interventionist approach of surgical sterilization benefits the pet more than the hands off approach. This benefit is realized at many levels including the individual the pet's health, the strength of the pet-family bond, and the population of pets at large.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

#64 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 05:36 PM
she

from my x from working for a vet - the predisposition of intact animals to reproductive cancers is caused by their inability to fulfill their reproductive cycles. Like women who don't bf are at higher risk for breastcancer. So prevention of breeding an intact animals is the environment that predisposes that animals to cancer and that in itself is the unnatural state. I don't have the info on # of offspring an animal can have in it's lifetime but that's a lot of unused hormone kicking around delicate tissues. So, it seems MORE cruel to NOT alter, especially if there are no plans of EVER allowing reproduction.

declaw - never, unless it was a matter of homelessness/death
alter - YES
vax - minimally, same as child

Man, despite his artistic pretensions and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains - unknown :
#65 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I was a bit myself, too. If I had other cats or my Lina went outside I would probably have her spayed. But a lower risk of cancer isn't a good enough reason for me to put her through that.

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#66 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna

ITA that pet overpopulation is a huge problem. That in and of itself is enough of a reason to spay and neuter.
well, I do agree but it's easier for most folks to alter the animals (as form a behaviour control which does not always work) than actually have to interact, & horrors, spend time & train... :

I can't tell you how many dogs that go into pounds that people use this one, "Well, I had Fido fixed but the dog still ______!!" fill in the blank (barks, digs, pulls at a leash, trys to get out )

Now my Breeder/Trainer is from the Czech Rep & he is against fixing dogs for human convenience. He thinks we fix too early & should let the dogs mature 6 more months.
He has a large working kennel out west & has 25 dogs @ any one time. He has sold to PD around the world.

He says they do not have the health problems in the CZ Rep that US dogs have from fixing too early (tumors & all that) & too many vaxs. So are we getting fed propaganda from the US Vet community as we are from the Pharma Co.s about human vaxes?? Hmmmmm? That's why I love to talk to people from other coutries to find out what is going on with the health of their animals.
I do remember being little & farm German Sheps living to a ripe, old age of 12-15 YO: no vaxes, no fixing, fed table food or raw diet (dog kibble is only from about the 1950s)
NOW, your lucky if you GSD makes it to 10 YO. Makes me wonder ??

He started losing his Import dogs about 3-5 yrs younger after following US standards.
He also imports Studs/Bitches for breeding for years now.
He is a Master Trainer that is also qualified for PD, Bomb, Drug, SAR, Military, personal protection, family pets, movies, etc.
He has a dog that finished 2nd in a US Nat'l Working Dog Comp a few yrs ago.

He's very big on responsible dog ownership but does not see much of it here in the U.S. hence most should fix their dogs.
Most do not take on the extra added PITA of monitoring an intact dog.

It is hard... I have an intact female & 2 fixed males. when she's in heat, my house is crazy b/c the boys don't know they are fixed :LOL . Plus she really "backs that thing up" to drive them crazy so it's separate potty/exercise breaks, the barking, the howling..
it IS a lot of work

I'm not big on ear & tail cropping either & English show dogs do not crop

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#67 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 06:52 PM

I agree with you Polka. I'd also add that the horrendous food that most people in the US feed their dogs definately contributes to their poor health, along with the mass amounts of over vaxing that happens here.

And ITA with you that most pets are spayed and neutered at too young of an age. I personally wouldn't get a dog done at 3 months, my sister worked at a spay and neuter clinic for a long time and they regularly did them that young. In fact their policy was the younger the better.

I remember a thread year a few years ago where someone wanted to get their pet ( dog I believe) a vasectomy instead of a neuter and the vet wanted to charge them like 600 dollars I believe. I may be wrong on the feee, but I remember it was easily 5x the cost of a neuter.
#68 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 PM

All my pets have been fixed. I've only had 3 (but my family had others while I grew up) since mine tend to live 18 or so years, but they have all been fixed, had all their shots (my parents lost a dog to heartworm that could have been prevented), county licenses if needed, and my cats even had their teeth cleaned. My last cat was declawed when I got her, she was an indoor cat though.

My parents once had a dog and before they got her fixed when she went in heat the dog across the street came THRU our screen door to get at her. So even if your cat is too afraid to come out of the house, don't think one won't try to come in, LOL.

My cousin has a cat & he won't get her fixed, every few months she has kittens & he has to find them homes. What a waste. There is a local place that will spay/neuter for $10, which I know he can afford.
#69 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 07:03 PM

I agree Melanie, there are so many factors that go into animal health & the mating issue.
I've seen dogs break out of the most incredible pens to get to another dog in heat :LOL .

I've also seen many animal get hurt in the same instance.
It's so hard either way.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#70 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Ok I've seen heartworm mentioned repeatedly here in relation to vax discussions.

such as
Quote:
All my pets have been fixed. I've only had 3 (but my family had others while I grew up) since mine tend to live 18 or so years, but they have all been fixed, had all their shots (my parents lost a dog to heartworm that could have been prevented),
Heartworm is a parasitic disease, there is no vax against it. There is preventative which is monthly and given orally. But technically I wouldn't call it a vax. Just as I wouldn't call flea prevention a vax nor worming. No one here that I'm aware of is including flea or heartworm preventative in the discussion of over vaxing.

The issue of excessive vaxing is applicable to rabies, distempter and all the other routine vaccinations that are arbitrarily given boosters every 1-3 years when there is no scientific evidence that they need to be repeated that often. People are putting their pets health at risk for no reason.
#71 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
He's very big on responsible dog ownership but does not see much of it here in the U.S. hence most should fix their dogs.
Polka, I am in agreement with you on that. A majority of pet owners that I see are unable to do all that I recommend to adequately take care of their pet in the way the pet needs to be emotionally and physically healthy. I am talking exercise, training, environmental enrichment, diet, social interaction with humans and other dogs. It goes on and on. And then they wonder why they have so many problems with their pet later on. As a culture, we are so busy with our crazy lives and many view pets as a possession instead of a being that we are responsible for. A topic for a whole other discussion I suppose.

#72 of 89 Old 07-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I remember a thread year a few years ago where someone wanted to get their pet ( dog I believe) a vasectomy instead of a neuter and the vet wanted to charge them like 600 dollars I believe. I may be wrong on the feee, but I remember it was easily 5x the cost of a neuter.
Sure; it's a much more difficult surgery. But if folks object to the long-term health effects of neutering (dramatically changing hormone levels permanently), they should certainly consider it if they are willing to take responsibility for reducing pet overpopulation. (And if that's too expensive, and they're not willing to neuter- then they shouldn't have a dog.)
#73 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 01:59 AM

I have 3 cats- got DeeDee from a shelter, Julius was a stray, and Vinnie was a "my cat had kittens, we can't keep them, want one?" deal.

Dee Dee was de-clawed by her previous owner and microchiped (neither of which I would do) and spayed, after agonizing over it we had Julius and Vinnie neutered at about 8 months old because they were getting extremely aggresive with each other and us and we didn't want them to be that way with a new baby. They are now perfectly sweet yet wild cats. Neither are de-clawed.

All of them were vaxed because I was told I couldn't have them neutered if they weren't vaxed : but they will be having no more vax at all- they are strictly indoors anyway.

I am very against de-clawing and while I don't feel "right" about getting them fixed I know that it is necessary to deal with the over-population problem. I might feel differently about getting my cats the Rabies vax if they were indoor/outdoor...

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#74 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkeberry
Go ahead and flame me, I don't care, but I won't spay my cat Lina. I can't bring myself to do it. She's a strictly indoor cat.
There are other reasons to spay than controlling breeding. It prevents mammary tumors and cancer, plus sometimes the uterus can bloat and rupture. Unless you are a responsible, well established breeder, or your animals has some kind of illness that makes surgery risky, it is absolutely irresponsible to not alter your animals.

Vaccinations are very important, especially for puppies! Parvo is a very serious illness that is easily contracted, easily prevented with a vax.

My cats get rabies every three years and distemper booster every 2-3 years which is my vet's recently revised protocal. They are declawed, but came that way from the shelter. I would never ever declaw a cat, when I was doing cat adoption counseling I could talk almost everyone out of declawing their adopted cats.

With animals an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Being a responsible pet owner means spay/nuetering, proper vaccines, and yearly vet checks. Also, never ever ever steping foot in a pet store that sells kittens or puppies. Puppy mills are horrific places, I have seen rescued breeders. To buy a puppy for a pet store is to pay to continue animal abuse.

And to the OP, if cats and dogs were spayed/nuetered there would be no need for shelters! Isn't that the goal?
#75 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by she
from my x from working for a vet - the predisposition of intact animals to reproductive cancers is caused by their inability to fulfill their reproductive cycles. Like women who don't bf are at higher risk for breastcancer. So prevention of breeding an intact animals is the environment that predisposes that animals to cancer and that in itself is the unnatural state. I don't have the info on # of offspring an animal can have in it's lifetime but that's a lot of unused hormone kicking around delicate tissues. So, it seems MORE cruel to NOT alter, especially if there are no plans of EVER allowing reproduction.
This makes PERFECT sense.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#76 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 10:39 AM

i fixed my dogs because it is inhumane to bring puppies into this world that wont find a good some ... yes i vax my dog but i live in an area of the country where rabbies are real and heartworm is a big deal ... i would never declaw a cat though ...
#77 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Not spaying your animals (unless it is a full blooded animal whom you are breeding for professional services) is incredibly irresponsible. Ok, these animals are in PAIN when they come into heat! Know how it feels to have a really crampy period? These animals do too! And the males, well, have you ever been incredibly horny and unable to be satisfied? Remember the torture? These males go through this for days on end. It's aweful! That alone should be reason enough to alter them. And of course there's the medical complications that arise in unaltered animals, and all the great pets who are euthanized every day because people like you do not want to alter their pets to keep them from breeding. :
#78 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 03:10 PM

we have 1 cat. got her from the shelter many years ago. she hasnt been vaxed sinse she was there if she even was. i wont declaw or spay her either. my reasonsa re mostly for money but also
declawing- she doesnt scratch. even th boys so whats the point?
vaxing- mostly money but why does she need them anyway? she eats good food and is clean. doesnt go outside either. shes gonna die eventually even if i do vax her.
spaying- again money reasons but also shes in indoor cat and while yes the meowing drives me bonkers when she does it, its not that big of a deal. if she was an indoor outdoor cat id totally spay her though
#79 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJJJ
Not spaying your animals (unless it is a full blooded animal whom you are breeding for professional services) is incredibly irresponsible. Ok, these animals are in PAIN when they come into heat! Know how it feels to have a really crampy period? These animals do too! And the males, well, have you ever been incredibly horny and unable to be satisfied? Remember the torture? These males go through this for days on end. It's aweful! That alone should be reason enough to alter them. And of course there's the medical complications that arise in unaltered animals, and all the great pets who are euthanized every day because people like you do not want to alter their pets to keep them from breeding. :
oknot trying to be a bitch but how do you know this? my cat when she goes in heat (like once every 3 months or so) meows for a day. and its not even a pitaful im hurt meow its a "hello im horny come get me meow"

i think its quite amusing everyone saying cut your animals but leave your boys intact. If your animals are a part of your nfl life why not leave them intact?
#80 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Leaving your boys intact will not contribute to the human population. Leaving animals intact is what is causing the pet overpopulation. No children are being gassed in orphanages because we choose not to circumcise. You're comparing apples and oranges.
#81 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 06:39 PM

If you think about it, having cats, and to some extent, dogs as housepets is not "Natural". In the average household environment most cats are not able to engage in their natural behaviors. They can't roam, they can't predate, they can't properly mark their territory. Dogs and humans have coevolved so they are used to being domesticated but many dogs are living very unnatural lives. Ie. living in an apartment where their people are gone all day, limited exercise, limited social contact. I would argue that the way many people have pets is actually not very natural in terms of what the pet has to do in order to assimilater him or herself into the family.

Something to think about. Is having pets NFL? I know since having kids, my cats have enjoyed less attention from us, I have questioned many times whether their lives are enriched as a result of living with us. I am fortunate that they have forgiving personalities and have adapted to our family situation. But I know their lives in my urban environment are nothing like what IMO they should be.

#82 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
I would argue that the way many people have pets is actually not very natural in terms of what the pet has to do in order to assimilater him or herself into the family.
I agree. I have thought this sometimes myself. I also agree that circ and neuter are two completely different deals. Neuter is not cosmetic. Now, you could legitimately make that comparison w/circ if you were talking ear or tail docking, I think.
#83 of 89 Old 07-24-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Heartworm is a parasitic disease, there is no vax against it. There is preventative which is monthly and given orally. But technically I wouldn't call it a vax. Just as I wouldn't call flea prevention a vax nor worming. No one here that I'm aware of is including flea or heartworm preventative in the discussion of over vaxing.

The issue of excessive vaxing is applicable to rabies, distempter and all the other routine vaccinations that are arbitrarily given boosters every 1-3 years when there is no scientific evidence that they need to be repeated that often. People are putting their pets health at risk for no reason.
Actually there is a heartworm vaccine now, and its being linked to increase ITP in dogs that get it.
http://forums.petlovers.com/vb/archi...hp/t-1615.html
(quoting whats there)
I came across a veterinary jouranl article, whose author wrote of a potential dangerous condition that may be associated with the 6 month heartworm vaccine. There have been incidents of immune mediated thrombocytopenia (ITP) associated with the administration of the 6 month heartworm vaccine. ITP is a condition where the body's own immune system targets its own platelets for destruction and removal. Platelets are very small blood cells that form the intial clot that plugs any broken vessel to stop bleeding. Without them, the dog is very susceptable to severe bleeding from the mildest of injuries.

WHile the link has not yet been conclusively established, I still recommend not using this vaccine. I have not personally used the vaccine on my patients. It is my policy when something first comes out to wait and see how other veterinarians' patients fair with it. Looks like it may have paid off in this case.

My favorite heartworm prducts are heartguard or interceptor. While these products are time proven to be very safe, never use them without the guidance of a vet.

Wishing good health to all your dogs!

Roger L. Welton, DVM
Veterinarian, Webmaster http://www.askdvm.com

Interestingly, heres a site with some natural ideas about dog health, and in particular natural remedies for heartworms.
http://myaccount.home.mindspring.com/HeartwormFAQ.htm
#84 of 89 Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 AM

I haven't heard of a HW vaccine. There is an injectible heartworm preventive product (ProHeart6) that has 6 month coverage that has recently been shown to have some dangerous side effects. Many people have stopped treating with this drug. This product is an antiparasitic, not a vaccine. Could this be the product your article discusses?

#85 of 89 Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 AM

i work/volunteer with a Cat Rescue and one of my fosters is taking up a permanent residence in our home... and the rules are we fix and dont declaw..

declawing is mean.. excuse me while i rip part of ur first joint off.. it can cause soo much damage and it hurts soo bad...

and yes i do get animals from the shelter... they are the best kind...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#86 of 89 Old 07-25-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
I haven't heard of a HW vaccine. There is an injectible heartworm preventive product (ProHeart6) that has 6 month coverage that has recently been shown to have some dangerous side effects. Many people have stopped treating with this drug. This product is an antiparasitic, not a vaccine. Could this be the product your article discusses?
I believe that is the product. The vet quoted called it a vaccine, which is why I did too. I'm not sure I understand the difference between "an injectible preventive product" and a vaccine.
#87 of 89 Old 07-25-2005, 02:07 AM

I think the usual definition of a vaccine is an anitgen that stimulates antibodies to provide immunity. Antiparasitics do not work in the body the same way, so they are generally not considered vaccines.

I'm sure that the vets here can probably explain better though.
#88 of 89 Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 AM

Quote:
There is a product called Neutersol that is injected. The dogs keep their testes (and their hormones), but are sterile. It's quick and cheap.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#89 of 89 Old 07-26-2005, 05:55 AM

Perhaps we should have a thread called "cats and dogs TTC"!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page