Welcome!! Introduce yourself!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, we're so excited to finally have this forum, a lot of us put quite a bit of energy into getting it here. So, tell us about your pets, anything you have a particular wealth of knowledge in etc and happy posting!! Lets make this forum the busy spot we all knew it would be
#2 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 PM

oh, shannon, it looks like we cross posted threads, but YAY!! I am really excitied about the pet forum.

We have four pets, three cats named Wang, Pepper, and Shadow, and a dog Named Spot. The cats were given away for free in front of stores, and Shadow was a rescued feral kitten. Spot, our dog is a miniature schnauser and he was bought from a breeder. All are spayed/neutered and less than four years old.

Shelly
#3 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 07:09 PM

Woo Hoo! So excited!

I have two dogs and two cats.
Sashi is a Chow/black Lab mix rescued at 6 weeks from abandonment on the side of the road.
Foxie is a formerly abused Collie/Germ Shepherd mix rescued from a county shelter.

Timber is a seal point siamese, and Casper is a black (haha) manx kitty.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#4 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 07:13 PM

Hey! I"M glad to finally have this forum here. I LOVE animals and am in college, studying biology so I can apply for veterinary school. I have 2 dogs, one chocolate labrador named Tyson and a golden retriever named Goldie. We are looking for another animal to add to our family, probably a rabbit. Cant type much now...dd is sitting on my lap, but I will be back! I cant wait to read everyone's posts!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#5 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 08:03 PM

We have 2 official cats- PJ (female, white and fluffy) and Jake (male, completely black and sleek). PJ adopted us about 2 1/2 years ago. Jake was given to us as a kitten by MIL. He is about 2 years old.
We seem to have been adopted by another cat who my dd would like to name Painters and keep. It is female, gray stripes and very friendly & hungry. She might be pregnant.

We also have 3 tropical fish right now.
Haku is a rope fish. It is about 10 inches long and looks very much like a snake. Pansy is a bloodfin tetra- kind of silvery with red tips on the tail. Snowdrop is a swordtail fish- silver and black. We plan to get a snail and probably more tetras.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 08:06 PM

hey!!

i have a dog named ford. that stands for found on roadside dog.

we have a rescue golden named ruby.

a cat named pirate.

our mouse, silliness pastry tickles nudgie, just passed after 2 years.
#7 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 PM

Hello! I'm excited about this forum as well!

We have:

Snoop who is a min. pin. - 11 yrs old - got from a breeder :
Chaps a choc. lab/rott. mix - 4 yrs old - got free from co-worker :
Grace a black lab/ ? mix - 3.5 yrs old - found on the side of the hwy :

They are all "fixed". They were my first babies!

I look forward to learning a lot from you pet lovers!
#8 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 PM

Yay! The pet forum is finally here! We have 3 cats named Malieka, Lily and Fats, a cockatiel named Petri, and a 9 month old pug named Daisy! Oh and some fish too! The dog is our dd's best friend, so sweet! They take naps together and even take a bath together sometimes too :LOL (dd is in the blow up ducky tub and Daisy is in the other spot in the tub). We our pets!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#9 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 08:20 PM

Our pets were our babies until our little "surprise" arrived!

We currently have two dogs: one is an Australian Kelpie/Border Collie mix got from a breeder at 10 weeks and one is a Black Lab/Schipperke mix from a shelter at 10 months. Our crazy kelpie Alice is almost 7 now and has a variety of medical issues maybe from being a runt (her bones & cartilage just didn't grow properly). Our black dog Daisy is almost 14 and showing her age: totally deaf (except for really high or really low noises), diabetic (with 2 insulin shots daily), incontinent and arthritis. My 16 year old black cat passed on last year.

I love animals and would have a house and yard full if I could. Right now, we're not adding to the family because of the health issues of our current pets. Probably next up will be a guinea pig for dd next year. Tried some goldfish a few months ago, but couldn't get the water ph right and they only lasted a week. Might try that again when it cools down in the fall.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#10 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 08:27 PM

Hi! I'm Kelsi and Ari is here too - we are friends with our 13 yo chow/akita mix Shadow, and 8 cats - Rascal, Tiva, Berry, Pebbles and Skippy are DSH (Domestic Short Hairs), Merlin is a DMH (Domestic Medium Hair), and Willow and Jenga are badly bred Bengals (but cute). We also have 2 newts, Scooby and Froto, a Rabbit (Bunny), and we share the yard with my mom's many koi.
#11 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 09:34 PM

Hi all,

Ms. Piper the scottish terrier says hi. She's 4 months old, black, loves to chase bugs, beg for treats, and crawl under the couch. She's also losing her baby teeth, which is pretty darn cute. So glad we've got a pet forum now!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#12 of 62 Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 PM

Hey!

We have a 3 yr old shep/lab mix (rescue) who is the cutest, sweetest, smartest dog ever. We recently buried our 21 yr old cat, and we have a 7 mos old pure bred Sheltie (i wanted this dog very much) named Kenzie. Compared to our shep/lab, this dog is an idiot. I can't believe how stupid she is. :LOL

But we do love our doggies. Much.
#13 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

We have two cats and one dog. Berlios (Bear) is a 15 yr old cat and has chin acne right now but otherwise is a beautiful and fluffy gray smoky cat. We've had him since he was a kitten. He is very skinny under all his fluff and is scared of dd and the dog. He also has asthma occasionally, only in August. (?) We had his brother also but he had cancer 5 years ago and passed.

We also have Pete, the tubby tabby. He is 5 and a dickens. He is hilarious and a rascal and occasionally gobbles his food and then barfs. He weighs 15 pounds now and is small boned! We've had him since he was 1lb, 8 oz at 8 weeks. He is also does not like dd or the dog.

Then there is Boon, the labradoodle. He is half poodle, half labrador. Some labradoodles are purebred but ours is not. (It is a breed just not recognized by the akc) He is a love bug. 18 mos, my other baby. He looks like a large standard poodle with bad hair! He has occasional anal gland issues but Shannon has helped that by suggesting we add pumpkin to his diet. He loves dd and she loves him back. We got him at 3 mos, I think.

We are in the process of switching all of them over to innova diet to help with all their little problems.

I am really happy this forum is here because my pets are really my fur babies and I am happy to have others to chat with about them!
#14 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 02:01 AM

We have one calico cat named Kitty who is 6.
We also have a black chow named Bean who is 6.
And we have 3 ferrets named Bebe (6 1/2), Max(3), and Fred(3).

Oh, and two kids.

hang.gif  

#15 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 02:11 AM

Not long to post- babe getting in trouble. We have 2 cats- Nick and Scrabble and 2 ferrets- Peekaboo and Zamboni. Miss Cataria the ferret left us this spring (after being adrenal for at least 2 years- but she was older and the vet didn't think surgery was worth the risk) The last two years she was blind, deaf and usually hairless, but that didn't stop her from keeping everyone in the house in line.... :LOL

-Angela
#16 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna

Not long to post- babe getting in trouble. We have 2 cats- Nick and Scrabble and 2 ferrets- Peekaboo and Zamboni. Miss Cataria the ferret left us this spring (after being adrenal for at least 2 years- but she was older and the vet didn't think surgery was worth the risk) The last two years she was blind, deaf and usually hairless, but that didn't stop her from keeping everyone in the house in line.... :LOL

-Angela
Aww. Those old female ferrets have a way of keeping everyone in line, don't they? It's so hard to loose a loved fur baby like that. Hugs.

hang.gif  

#17 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 02:30 AM

Boy howdy don't they? Tari's thing was ears. She was a tiny little thing and the boys are big. You'd hear these awful protesting whimpers from the cage, and sure enough the little lady had one of the boys pinned down for a good ear washing. She was equal opportunity though, washed people ears, cat ears... she loved them all.

-Angela
#18 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 03:22 AM

Hi! I'm glad to see this forum.

I manage feral cats. I catch them (using humane traps), get them neutered, and return them to their home. And I feed them daily, or have someone feed them daily.

I'm a big advocate of spaying or neutering ANY cat that you feed for longer than a few days. The food gives them the calories needed to reproduce. So if you're going to feed, you have to prevent the births that you are otherwise facilitating.

We have one dog, Nikita, a siberian husky, who is 16 years old and facing some health issues with her liver.

We have our old lady cat, Mitzi, who will be 19 in a few weeks and is in very good health. She's a sensible, even tempered brown tabby.

We have Salem, a large black cat (we nicknamed him The Panther because he is so BIG and muscular) who is seven. I found him when he was a week old, orphaned and covered in fire ants.

And then we have several younger cats that I picked up from doing feral cat rescue. One, Meeko, is the most beautiful cat I've ever owned - a long hair calico with green eyes and a symetrical black mask over her eyes.

And we currently have seven kittens and one mama cat in temporary foster care with us. Whew!

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#19 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 AM

Yay for the pet forum!

We are parents to Hannah, a yellow Lab who will be 6 in November. She came from a breeder in Ohio. We have been through many ups and downs with her in a medical sense, most of which have ended with some miraculous recovery to full health on her part. It's getting to the point that the stories sound ridiculous and made-up, but they're honestly true. She's sure given me lots of experience, and most recently an education in bone marrow disease and anemia. In April her red blood cell count got as low as 17 (normal is 40-55, if it had gotten to 14 she would have needed a transfusion). She had a bone marrow biopsy and was diagnosed with primary myelodysplasia with refractory anemia. It's very rare and they couldn't tell us her odds or even settle on the best treatment. We first tried the "wait and see" approach and it seems to be working: at the end of July her hematocrit had rebounded to 48.

Then there's Henry, a black Lab who is in some ways the complete opposite of Hannah. He turned 4 at the end of June. I can probably count on one hand the number of times he's been to the vet for any reason. He is more of an English type Lab (Hannah is not a field type but she is certainly not as stocky as the English type frequently are). We got him from a breeder in NC.

Finally, there's the cat, Jefferson, who came from an SPCA in PA. He will turn 5 on Labor Day weekend (so we have three pets who were born in the span of 19 months :LOL). I'm not really a cat person, but DH is. I admit it's been hard for me to bond with Jefferson, but I am glad we gave him a home. He's had some medical problems of his own... urinary blockages... which are now being controlled by prescription diet (knock on wood).

Before DD, I guess you could say my hobby was dogs. We started agility with Hannah and I think she would have had a good career at it if we'd been able to keep it up. Our idea of a fun Friday night used to be taking Hannah down to the small, independently owned pet supply store to hang out with the employees and socialize her. Since DD was born, it's been a little hard to learn how to manage everyone's needs, but we're committed to giving the pets what they deserve, and particularly not turning them into outside pets, which everyone has told us we'd do once we had kids.

OK, I'm really badly here, so I'll wrap up... gotta get ready for work anyway. It's awesome to have a place to talk about our furry kids.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#20 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 AM

I'm so glad we have this forum!

My dh, ds, and I share our life and home with:

6 cats:
Cheesy
Simon
Abby
Riley
Holly
Zippy

and

1 dog:
Sable

And I'm providing care for a whole host of feral cats. (All of the animals that I have came to me by way of a rescue or emergency operation. For instance, one of cats was beaten with a baseball bat by some teenage boys, and very nearly didn't survive. It broke her leg in 3 places, and severely stunted her growth. She's my "little girl" now. Another of the cats that I have was thrown from a car at the place that I work. She was extremely malnourished and her paw pads had been burnt off with a cigarette lighter, or some other device. So I've had my share of physically and emotionally injured creatures...)

I'm also helping my mom care for her 20 hamsters! (long story)

A link to the animal pictures is in my siggy.

Well, I better get back to breakfast. Riley is eyeing my cereal as I type! :LOL
#21 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 10:02 AM

Hello! Meg here, with our little cat Pixie.
#22 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William's Mom

A link to the animal pictures is in my siggy.
Wow! Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous!!! Well done
#23 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Ditto to the grateful sentiments above – so happy for this forum .

My bundle of fur is Pippin , an adorable two-year-old terrier mutt – black and tan (like a min pin) with a super soft double coat. We adopted him in January from the humane society and he’s a handful most days. He’s dog and stranger-human aggressive, which makes taking walks, having people over, etc challenging. We were working with a behaviorist a few months ago who specialized in clicker training. The ideas she gave us were great, but she didn’t offer a lot of practical how-to advice (and the lack of practical advice made it REALLY hard to justify the $80/hr price). However, I found the book The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat ****** which provides a multi-week plan for training with a clicker. We started off strong (Pippin is VERY food motivated), but it was a lot harder than the book makes it seem (isn’t that always the way?). Clicker training got stalled out due to us moving house, but I hope to get started up again soon. I’m open to training suggestions!

Another challenge we’re facing now is fleas . The new apartment is infested with them (and we think maybe the grounds of the apartment complex also). This all made moving in very frustrating, to say the least. I think things are getting a little more under control; we’re treating Pippin with Frontline Plus, vacuuming like crazy, and I’m going to get a canister of diatomaceous earth to treat inside.

I’m very excited because I think I found the perfect vet practice! They’re very conservative with their vaccine use, stress proper nutrition (which I need to learn more about from a dog’s perspective), and specialize in various holistic practices including classical homeopathy, TCM/acupuncture, and using Western herbs. Yay!
#24 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Looks like we could start a thread for natural flea remedies.....

William's Mom, your cat heesy looks just like our cat Wang!
#25 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 12:37 PM

I have 3 furbabies-

My dog Blaze who is a brindle half boxer/half pit bull. We adopted her from an animal shelter thru Petfinder in 2002. Everyone told us she was full blooded boxer- the shelter, the vet, the trainer.. until she got up to about a year old. She's the sweetest dog ever. She mothers everything- the kids, the cats, other dogs. Even a litter of kittens we had!

Toby, a gray tabby. He's beautiful. He doesn't have stripes, he has swirls. I've never seen another kitty that looks like him. He is *so* sweet! I brought him home after my idiot brother tossed him outside his house for wetting on the carpet- after my brother locked him in a room without a litter box! We've had him since 2001.

Beau- a black and white tuxedo kitty. He is *rotten*. R O T T E N! He loves nothing better than to sit in the middle of whatever you happen to be working on, stretch out and purr. He's also HUGE! He's gotta be 15 pounds, and he's only a year old! He's not fat.. he's solid muscle!

We also have a Mama Purr, a sweet calico mama kitty who's kittens just went to another foster family at 11 weeks a few weeks ago.. we still miss them. Mama Purr is a *sweetie*! We'll be getting her spayed soon. It looks like she may be staying with us.

I am so glad we have this forum!
#26 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 02:54 PM

Really happy to see this forum in existence!!

I am the loving mama to a 5 year old black lab named Oakley. I adopted him from a family farm near my home, his (birth)mom was a yellow lab and his dad was a chocolate lab. He is a big boy (he's European) but very gentle and laid back... except when he catches a hint of the words 'breakfast, supper, walk, or outside'!! We love our Oakley-boy so much and I'm looking forward to finding out lots of great, natural, gentle information in this forum!
#27 of 62 Old 08-04-2005, 03:09 PM

Hi!
We currently have a cat named James. James is a female cat. DD #1 wanted to name DD#2 James, and was quite dismayed when we named her Ingrid.
When Ingrid was about 2 1/2 mos we went to the local shelter and picked a cat. She is a jewel! She snuggles everyone, including the baby. At night she sleeps in dd#1's bed until she decides to crawl into our bed. She loves to show off her catnip mouse toy hunting. She's very patient if Ingrid grabs her when she passes by.
Before James we had a Rottwieler named Kaya. I got her as a 1 year old rescue, and she was the sweetest dog, even though everyone was afraid of her. She was my hiking buddy and guardian. She loved dd#1. She used to “sing” to specific songs by Neil Young, Bob Marley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Blind Melon.
DH and I met as housemates just after I got Kaya. I think he fell in love with her first, and Kaya saw to it that we fell in love so he would stay in her life.
When we bought our first house last year, Kaya’s health began a rapid decline. Her vet believes she had cancer, but at 10 ½, we decided not to do any invasive surgery. So we did what we could to make her more comfortable for as long as we could. When we finally had her euthanized DH, SIL (the ultimate dog lover), and I held her and talked to her until she was gone. DD#2 was born almost 24 hours later.

We hope to get another big dog next year. I go back and forth between getting a puppy from a reputable breeder and getting another breed specific rescue. I don’t think we’ll get another Rottie. I still get a lump in my throat when I see one.

This summer we also had a monarch butterfly caterpillar, who became a butterfly, and we hatched a praying mantid egg case. All but one survived (he ate the others), and we let him go to enjoy the aphids on my moonflower vine. I’m now totally hooked on exotic insects. 

A co-worker has some zebra finch babies, and I’m very tempted to get a pair, but I’m not much of a bird person.
#28 of 62 Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 AM

Hey all! We have a 9 year old husky/akita/german shephard mix that i adopted from the humane society named Winter, aka the Moonhound, and a 1 year old kitty that was being given away outside a grocery store named Summer, aka the Sun Kitty (one of these days i'll get pics linked and the alternate names will make way more sense)

~Jen
#29 of 62 Old 08-05-2005, 06:29 AM

Hi! Currently we have a dog, three tadpoles which are quickly becoming frogs (frogblog), and a fishtank full of guppies. I had a sheltopusik legless lizard (giant glass snake) for a very long time, but he is no longer with us. Anyone have questions about herps (that would be reptiles or amphibians) I know a good bit about them, as I'm the kind of person to overdose on information. If I don't know the answers, I know where to find them!
I have kept in the past, hamsters, gerbils, rats, one rabbit (to whom I was deathly allergic), a chicken, cats, dogs, frogs, turtles, parakeets, a parrot (I'm also deathly allergic to birds, it turned out)...I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting at the moment. And I even worked in a pet store for a short time until I just couldn't take the stress of seeing those poor animals being so mistreated anymore.
#30 of 62 Old 08-05-2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesinottawa
Wow! Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous!!! Well done
Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page